What is this?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frodo

Walk with God, You will never be lost
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
right here right now maybe later over there
This has been in the bottom of my bit box for years, when ever I look for a bit I see it and wonder what its function was long ago. I have broken many bits in my life and I can tell you with certainty this bit was not bent anywhere except when it was manufactured. Bits are brittle

Has anyone ever seen another bent but?
Oh. It is a perfect 90 degree bend
IMG_0300.jpeg

This has been in the bottom of my bit box for years, when ever I look for a bit I see it and wonder what its function was long ago. I have broken many bits in my life and I can tell you with certainty this bit was not bent anywhere except when it was manufactured. Bits are brittle

Oh. It is a perfect 90 degree bendView attachment 116827
It is junk.

It was a dull bit that was over heated and lost its temper and bent.

Ben

Purely a guess: there wasn't room for the rest of the tool in the space where the hole needed to be so they bent it on a 90 and turned it around using the shaft like a handle. One of the things hubby loves about what he does is making his own tools to suit whatever task needs doing.
ETA - was probably heated to bend it.

Purely a guess: there wasn't room for the rest of the tool in the space where the hole needed to be so they bent it on a 90 and turned it around using the shaft like a handle. One of the things hubby loves about what he does is making his own tools to suit whatever task needs doing.
ETA - was probably heated to bend it.
It's a vegetable peeler! Send it to LadyLocust and she'll post pics trying to use it!😉

A number of years ago a guy that makes gold processing machines gave me a box of Kawasaki drill bits because they were too hardened to drill the aluminum angle metal for the frames he was making, I've used them to the point of snapping but appreciate having them because they drilled harder steel with ease. As to the bend on that drill bit, it really had to have been very hot our just plain junk to begin with.

Never seen one, Mine all shatter when "abused". ? had to be "on purpose" , but the purpose eludes me.
The purpose is to start conversations like this one.

A number of years ago a guy that makes gold processing machines gave me a box of Kawasaki drill bits because they were too hardened to drill the aluminum angle metal for the frames he was making, I've used them to the point of snapping but appreciate having them because they drilled harder steel with ease. As to the bend on that drill bit, it really had to have been very hot our just plain junk to begin with.
I may have been 16 and left unsupervised in the shop with a drill press. I tried to drill a hole in a single edge razor blade. I just hung on the handle and bent the bit.

From experience I will stick someone being stupid like me.:rolleyes:

Ben

It's a tool for cleaning out the "touch hole" in a black powder weapon, probably a flintlock or black powder cannon.

Probably for a one off job that was easier with the 90 degree bend.

I’ve got a set of small open end wrenches that all have a 30 degree bend. Couldn’t buy them that way, had to heat and bend them. They weren’t absolutely necessary but… that bend made it much easier to change target rings inside a catscan. When other engineers noticed my special set they all had to have them. Sooo, ended up being more work for me. Boss had me buy 50 sets and bend them to put in company issued tool sets. :mad:

I’ve got a set of small open end wrenches that all have a 30 degree bend.

As I remember from my big brothers tools, he was the motor head of the family....
There was a set of offset wrenches like that somewhat especially for adjusting Chevrolet, GM distributors.... ??.. and maybe other applications.. ??..

I think I was 10 years old maybe 9, My dad came home from work and found me in the garage with the lawn mower tore completely apart. He knew then his tools were in trouble. As they years went on I managed to lose almost all of his tools . Leaving them laying where I used the
Then I joined the service and went away for awhile. Came back, got married And had A house. My Dad visited us And I said let me show you something
In the garage was a 4’ tall roll away craftsman tool box full of new tools that I bought
My Dads eyes lit up and he said I will be right back
He walked out to his truck then came back in side with a master lock
He locked my box and said Thank you Son for replacing all the tools of mine that you lost
At times like these, What do Uou say?
I just said your welcome and bought some more tools !!!!!

I think I was 10 years old maybe 9, My dad came home from work and found me in the garage with the lawn mower tore completely apart. He knew then his tools were in trouble. As they years went on I managed to lose almost all of his tools . Leaving them laying where I used the
Then I joined the service and went away for awhile. Came back, got married And had A house. My Dad visited us And I said let me show you something
In the garage was a 4’ tall roll away craftsman tool box full of new tools that I bought
My Dads eyes lit up and he said I will be right back
He walked out to his truck then came back in side with a master lock
He locked my box and said Thank you Son for replacing all the tools of mine that you lost
At times like these, What do Uou say?
I just said your welcome and bought some more tools !!!!!
It's never too late to learn a lesson!!😉

Latest posts

Back