What is your chili recipe?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Patchouli

Gatekeeper
Staff member
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Everybody is talking about chili in the thread on front porch chat.
Can you share specifically or roughly how you make yours, what's in it, how long you cook it, what type of pan, and heat source?
We had a good throw it together recipe once but neither one of us or the kids like it anymore.

I’m all ears!!! Listening… I have Alton Brown’s pressure cooker chili recipe. I intend to try it if I every find my pressure cooker, at this point I might as well buy a new one. I haven’t seen the old one in 15 years. :rolleyes:

I also have his chili powder recipe… It’s one of the reasons I grew oregano this year.

The Bush's Bean people used to sell the best store-bought chili I’ve ever had, it came in a jar. I loved the stuff. For some reason they stopped making it. Sort of like tv shows, every time I find one I like they cancel it. :(

Bush now has a product in a can called “Chili Magic Starter”. Basically, the beans, spices and some liquid in a can.

I start chili magic and tomatoes first. The directions call for a 14.5oz can to diced tomatoes. I buy the “Ro*Tel original diced tomatoes and green chilies” in a 10 ounce can. I add about a can and a half.

Next, you brown a pound of burger, I use ground chuck (80/20). Then add a cup of chopped onions, I add a cup and a half and some garlic powder, also some cayenne, I like hot chili. I also prefer the sweet white onions.

Half of my onions get browned with the chuck, I have to drain off the water/grease after 5 or 6 minutes. I crank the heat on the skillet then dump the meat/onions back in the pan. That's when the real browning begins, the "Maillard reaction". Proper browning is key for great tasting chili with this recipe. It brings a ton of flavor to the party. The other half of my onions go in the pot with the liquid and tomatoes.

The directions say simmer for 10 minutes. After adding the meat/onions and one 10oz can of water to the pot I simmer for about 40 minutes stirring occasionally. The extra time and water allows it to cook down melding the flavors. Of course it's always better the 2nd and 3rd days.

Not bad chili for not being made completely from scratch. Total time… less than an hour.

Last edited:
That sounds like a tasty batch.

I've heard of no beans, no tomato sauce, and using a beef cut in pieces not ground. I love peppers and onions.
Do you use a lot of herbs?
Do you put cinnamon in yours?

No other spices... but this afternoon I thought long and hard about adding "Chinese 5 Spice". But I decided I wanted the chili I like, wasn't up for the long strange trip 5 spice would have taken me down, wasn't in the mood for an experiment, but 5 spice would added interesting earthy flavors.

I like extra onion and garlic. I've seen cinnamon added on cooking shows but sweet chili...ehh, doesn't appeal to me.

Long strange trip on chili? Brother Peanut, have you been listening to Jerry Garcia?
:LOL:
-_-
Anyway, chili with lots of pinto and black beans sounds good to me. I used to use kidney and white beans.
I think I need to stop using tomato sauce and cook it down with whole or chopped canned tomatoes.
Yes, ro tel is good brand. Oh, and we have added zucchini to it as well.

I make a turkey meat chili with plenty of black and kidney beans. I cook the chili in a large batch in a Towncraft 12 qt
stock pot. I caramelize the onions ,peppers ,garlic in a separate pan and mix in to your taste up to one small can of chipotle peppers in adobo sauce with the peppers finely chopped while the six pounds of regular not lean ground turkey is cooking. When you use turkey it has to be cooked different from beef. Turkey cannot be broken up then browned just dump the lumps into the pot and cover them on a medium heat let it get a good start on steaming and light browning,now you can start breaking it up and stir then replace the lid, keep this up until the meat has an even light brown color. There will be a small amount of grease and a lot of water that you drain off,now brown but it will not brown near as dark as beef.
...Oops gotta go I will continue with part two later. After the meat is browned add the onions and peppers and stir in . Next is the tomaters one can of Ro-tel mex style and three cans of diced, we have an occasion an abundance of cherry tomato's I throw about a pint jar full into the mix whole. Spice time....A coupla tablespoons of chili powder,salt,black pepper speaking of salt turkey tends to "soak up" salt and spices so you may hafta to add more. now stir all this together and I use one can of beans per pound of meat Now ya get to stir more let this simmer till it is all hot then you add the final spice.. Cumin only add the cumin at the last five minutes of cooking because if it is overcooked it imparts a bitter bite to the mix. stir in and cover with the heat off for at least an half hour.

Last edited:
We used to use ground beef but switched to ground turkey, @ssonb .
This was ours, sort of:
1-2 pounds ground meat, browned, with garlic powder, cumin, cayenne, chili powder. I don't know what it takes to set your alarms off, so season as you like. A little salt. A little pepper.

Add 1 green pepper, as much onion as you want, both chopped

Add another type of pepper if you like, we like poblano but be careful!

Drained and rinsed: 1 can black beans, 1 can pinto beans

1 can of tomato sauce is what we used to cook it with but will be switching to something else

1/2 can any brand chopped tomatoes (or use the whole thing) with chilies, peppers etc whatevuh

After browning meat with seasonings and peppers and onions, turn heat to a medium low-ish, add tomatoes or sauces. Add beans. Put lid askew. Simmer for a bit. 15 to 20 minutes, turn down lower if bubbling.
We like brown rice with ours.
Forgot to add, put 1 or 2 small chopped zucchini in with peppers and onions, saute a few minutes.

Really cant tell ya what's in mine other than I use ground chuck, ground turkey and ground pork and basic chili seasonings. I taste to cook and add as I go. I make my chili thick spicy and HOT.......It's not chili if it don't make you sweat..............never add beans unless you have company coming and that's what we call In-Law chili to stretch it further :ghostly:

I use a large can of tomato juice
1 or 1/5 pound package of ground burger
1 can kidney beans
1 can stewed tomatoes (diced up small)
a couple Tbsp's of cumin (I don't really measure it - I just eyeball it)
some chili powder (again just eyeball it) - I don't use a lot since I don't like really spicy food
add salt and pepper to taste or a pinch of each
- just have to brown and drain the burger and then add everything else, bring to a boil and simmer for a while. I prefer a long slow simmer, especially on a cold winter day.

If I feel really lazy, I just use the packet of McCormick chili seasoning which calls for a can of tomato sauce and can of beans along with 1 pound of burger.

Latest posts

Back