What is your favorite (from scratch type) cookbooks?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snappy1

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
I have and use "Dining during the Depression", The Black Family Reunion Cookbook", Depression Era Recipes, Dining with Pioneers, Old Time Southern Cooking and Bull (something) Cookbook. I can't find the last one right now but it teaches butchering of most animals and tanning hides. Now I will have to find it tomorrow!

I have a few depression era cookbooks, and I just loaned them to a friend to take a look at. One of them is Clara's Kitchen. She's passed away since it was written. My go to basic books for scratch recipes are Mennonite and Amish Cookbooks. Mostly those spiral bound ones that churches and schools put out. Mennonites specialize in "no waste" and frugal cooking. Cookbooks called, "What to do with powdered milk?", and small cookbooks that are just one type, like, "Crackers". I have a floor to ceiling bookshelf of cookbooks. I love cookbooks. Also a large collection of canning cookbooks. I have, "Dining during the Depression", too. And a good assortment of dutch oven outdoor cookbooks.

I have a few Church cookbooks: Generations- Fayette, MS and Plantation Country-St. Francisville, Louisiana. Also, a couple of the White Trash cookbooks but they aren't actually old. I may have more and that is one project: to find a box of books that is in the shed.

I have a couple of favorites that augment the standard cookbooks that I have. The one I really like is "A World of Breads" by Delores Casella. My other favorite is "be Bors Hede Boke of Cookry" by Roger Shell and Sally Charles. It is a 14th and 15 century cook book. Most of the recipes have been converted to modern measurements and modern names for the ingredients.
I do have to admit that most of my cooking is from memory or my own recipe cards. These are recipes I have worked with for long periods to get the taste balanced for me. I like complex but balanced flavors.

I had one that fell apart from use. I have a Better Homes and Gardens cookbook that I have had almost 50 years.

I still have one of those from my first wedding. That would be about 35 years ago. I still use the recipe for 3-bean salad on a regular basis!

Betty Crocker, Taste of Cooking,Joy of Cooking, Wild Game Cookery, Quilting Cookbook,
Many many cookbooks picked up from churches,Boy Scouts, Girl Scouts,Old Military Cookbooks,(from all branches).
Depression Cookbooks, Ration Era cookbooks.

I have a few depression era cookbooks, and I just loaned them to a friend to take a look at. One of them is Clara's Kitchen. She's passed away since it was written. My go to basic books for scratch recipes are Mennonite and Amish Cookbooks. Mostly those spiral bound ones that churches and schools put out. Mennonites specialize in "no waste" and frugal cooking. Cookbooks called, "What to do with powdered milk?", and small cookbooks that are just one type, like, "Crackers". I have a floor to ceiling bookshelf of cookbooks. I love cookbooks. Also a large collection of canning cookbooks. I have, "Dining during the Depression", too. And a good assortment of dutch oven outdoor cookbooks.

Clara's Kitchen. I have the cookbook and watched her YouTube videos until she died. She reminded me of my Grandmother so much that I cried when the video came out announcing her passing.

I had one that fell apart from use. I have a Better Homes and Gardens cookbook that I have had almost 50 years.

I've got a Better Homes and Gardens cookbook I got from my dad almost 20 years ago. He wasn't using it anymore and there were pages missing but its on my list of things to grab on the way out the door in an emergency.

Latest posts

Back