What is your flavorite blooming yard shrub & why?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joel

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Rhododendron, camellia & hydrangea are my best picks.
I like the rhododendron family for its many colors & different size shrubs.
I like the camellia for its two tone blooms on a shiny green leaf back drop.
I like hydrangea for its flower grouping & many colors.

Not a shrub, wild dogwoods because they're a sure sign Winter is over.

Hubs has a thing for Azaleas and Camellias. For many of the reasons you stated. I have a love hate relationship with Azaleas since someone planted six of the giant size right up against the foundation of the house.

No plant should be planted up against the house/foundation. The plant should be planted 24 t0 30 inches from the wall of the house.
Many persons plant to close to the house & to close to each other.
I like Dogwood also.

I had no idea there were that many plants there until I started ginzuing them to try and get control. They are now considered Zombie Azaleas since I can't get them to die no matter what I do. I've covered them now and have planted smaller Azaleas out away from the house. We'll see in a couple of years how that goes.

I think my favorite shrub are the Loropetalums. Their blooms are not all that but the red foliage is one of my favs.

I haven't seen a Lilac in bloom in many years. I haven't lived anywhere that stays cold enough for long enough to have them. I do remember the fragrance and having cut Lilacs in a vase in the house.

I like my lilac ... but each year I like to grow one cotton plant ~ Last time was brown cotton, not sure about this year. (still wanting to find a red cotton but not yet)

Why, They are a cool plant with nice flowers that will last till frost. (and well the cotton ;))

I like my lilac ... but each year I like to grow one cotton plant ~ Last time was brown cotton, not sure about this year. (still wanting to find a red cotton but not yet)

Why, They are a cool plant with nice flowers that will last till frost. (and well the cotton ;))
I saw some cotton plant cuttings in the floral department of Hobby Lobby. I had never seen one before.

OK, where are you getting either the cotton seed or plant from?

I'm in the middle of cotton country here so I imagine I could get hold of white without a problem.

My favorite blooming shrub is the Carmine Jewel Cherry because of... the cherries! :) And it's a pretty bush, too - ours are more open and airy than I tend to see them in photos, maybe because we have them in partial sun rather than full sun.

I also like the Eastern Wahoo just because it's different. And the ninebark.
I've always loved lilacs, but haven't been able to grow them since we've been here. Our soil is probably too acidic.

Mock Orange, white flowers, attracts tons of bees and scents the air all around.
Spirea, purple-ish pink or white.
Forsythia, true sign of spring.
Always loved rhododendrons and azaleas. Always.
And various magnolias.
Those are my favorites for I have more than one.

gardenia, because they smell good and the yellow-white blooms are beautiful against the dark green foilage.
tea olive because it smells great and blooms several times a year.

Daphne odora is another good smelling plant, it is my favorite of the Daphne group.

I have an old fashioned lilac. Besides it's beauty, the smell is amazing. The last plant my dad bought me before he died. It was 4 years old when I moved. I dug it up and took it with me. That was 8 years ago. I now realize I probably can't take it with me so for the past couple of years I try to start a few from it. I will be able to have bushes from it when I get back to the country.

like, not like.
What are your favorite shrubbery colors, Terri? I like the lavenders and pinks.

I love anything lush, dark green with bright easy to see flowers. We used to have a bottle brush that was beautiful but the bees absolutely loved it. Couldn't go near it. I love the smell of jasmine and lilacs.

camellia sinensis - the blooms are pretty (camellia) and the leaves are....tea. Yep. Regular old tea. Want caffeine, just go pick a couple leaves, brew up some green tea. Still fresh & full of antioxidants. I like dual purpose shrubs. Pomegranates. Juneberries. Autumn olive.
For just blooms, I confess to a weakness for lilacs and roses (the fragrant ones). Cant eat them (well, you can eat rose hips) but you can make some rose-water or lilac-water for perfumery.

Yes I like the fact many plants of beauty are good for more the their looks.
The apple tree is in the rose family
Rosaceae

Back