1. Welcome to Homesteading & Country Living. We are glad you came to visit.
    Dismiss Notice

What is your special talent or ability?

Discussion in 'Front Porch Chat' started by Sentry18, Oct 2, 2019.

Help Support Homesteading Forum by donating using the link above.
  1. Oct 2, 2019 #1

Sentry18

Sentry18

Sentry18

Hired Gun Staff Member Moderator Neighbor HCL Supporter

We all have one. Something you can do better than most, maybe even better than anyone. Or some unusual special gift that you possess that exceeds the norm. An example of this would be my wife's sense of smell. If she was not so good at marketing and finance, she could have been a DEA agent and outperformed any of their drug sniffing K9's. She can identify perfumes from across the room, look at a child for 20' away and tell when they showered last, identify cheeses and wines by odor, etc., etc. If she said she smelled fire I would be dragging the kids out of the house that very second. And it would probably turn out to be a burnt match in the garbage can of the neighbors house.

So, what is your special talent or ability?

2. Oct 2, 2019 #2

dademoss

dademoss

dademoss

Jack of all trades. Neighbor HCL Supporter

I don't even know how to describe it :p Some mechanical/spatial/interaction ability? I can find why things don't work even if I don't know Jack Schiff about it. IE, the lady next door came over last Sunday, and asked what I know about about garage doors. I said, they are big and go up and down. True enough, I haven't had a garage door in 3 decades, and never parked in a garage with a door. Hers wouldn't go up, some neighborhood lowlife had tried to get in and turned the handle so it hung in the track and tripped the opener. Turn the handle, problem solved. I still don't really know how I know to look at and solve things like that.

3. Oct 2, 2019 #3

phideaux

phideaux

phideaux

Spectator of Life Neighbor

I can do math in my head faster than most can do it on paper or calculator.
    Add , subtract, multiply and divide.

I don't know why

Jim

Last edited: Oct 3, 2019
  4. Oct 3, 2019 #4

lonewolf

lonewolf

lonewolf

Awesome Friend Neighbor

scavenging!!!

5. Oct 3, 2019 #5

jimLE

jimLE

jimLE

Awesome Friend Neighbor HCL Supporter

i know this probably don't count.BUT!

i have warped sense of humor. in which i can take what someone says or does.. and say something pretty funny.but then again.i can take the same situation. and say something to irritate them.and maybe piss them off... wonder why i don't have very many friends. lol.

6. Oct 3, 2019 #6

Angie

Angie

Angie

Porch Lover Staff Member Admin Moderator Neighbor

I'm better at sewing than many folks (but not as good as some others). And I seem to stay calm and do the next thing needed in an emergency (like after tornadoes, or death in family).

7. Oct 3, 2019 #7

Sentry18

Sentry18

Sentry18

I have a bizarre sense of time. If I set the timer on the stove for 10 minutes somehow something in my brain starts buzzing around 9:50. I can pretty much guess what time it is give or take 5-10 minutes all day long. Never found the need to wear a watch. If a child is supposed to be home by say 4pm and they are late, I will start to feel it in my bones by 4:01pm. And I will wake up 5-10 minutes before my alarm is set 362 days out of the year (doesn't work as well when I am ill), doesn't matter how much sleep I have had or when I went to bed. My wife has tested me on this ability many times and I never fail to impress her.

8. Oct 3, 2019 #8

Amish Heart

Amish Heart

Amish Heart

I'm like you, Angie, (not at sewing) but can stay pretty calm and think in an emergency. I'll do the freak out after the fact when it's safe to do so. I love birds of all kinds and have always had birds of some type, and relate to them very easily.

9. Oct 3, 2019 #9

Caribou

Caribou

Caribou

Time traveler Neighbor HCL Supporter

I don't know much about anything but I seem to know who to ask to get the answers that I need.

10. Oct 3, 2019 #10

SheepDog

SheepDog

SheepDog

I can walk through walls, fly without any aid, travel time and I have the ability to tell stories that are unbelievable.
    OK, none of that is true but I am good with metal. I can do anything with it from making blades or springs to building an engine from scratch.
    I can "see" how an electrical system works and use that to fix a problem with it. The same is true with hydraulics because in my mind they are both fluids.
    I can build with wood, as long as structural strength is more important than looks.
    My mind is full of stuff that nobody cares about but would come in handy when you can't go to the store and buy it.

Terri9630, Angie, Bacpacker and 5 others like this.
  11. Oct 3, 2019 #11

Curmudgeon

Curmudgeon

Curmudgeon

Malinois' are awesome. Neighbor

Well, I opened the thread with the exact same thought, lol.

So yup, it does count.

The Innkeeper, Peanut, jimLE and 6 others like this.
  12. Oct 3, 2019 #12

dademoss

dademoss

dademoss

Jack of all trades. Neighbor HCL Supporter

Before I retired, they called it "Skilled at networking" :)

13. Oct 3, 2019 #13

hiwall

hiwall

hiwall

I have a couple I can't talk about on here.:)

14. Oct 3, 2019 #14

Sentry18

Sentry18

Sentry18

I have 7 kids, so I either have a special talent or a brain injury. :D Just kidding; it's a brain injury.

15. Oct 3, 2019 #15

phideaux

phideaux

phideaux

My grandkids believe nobody can compete in the "pull my finger " trick.

Tha Champ.

Jim

16. Oct 3, 2019 #16

Bacpacker

Bacpacker

Bacpacker

Always been good with my hands, can fix about anything I've ever worked on. Also good at planning and organizing work, projects, trips, etc. Comes in handy at times, specially at work, but I think also in a long term SHTF situation. I too generally stay calm during a crisis, operate and do whats needed.

17. Oct 3, 2019 #17

backlash

backlash

backlash

Repairing things has always been something I can do.
    I can look at something and pretty much figure out how it should go together.
    I have no fear of disassembling things and with enough time and someone else's money I can get it back together.
    Oh, I am also an internet search ninja.:)
    Now when you start a thread on things that you can't do I have a few of those.

18. Oct 3, 2019 #18

GrannyG

GrannyG

GrannyG

I have a love affair with paper...LOL...enjoy crafting....am making cookbooks and journals for this year's sales, and just could leave the world behind and cut paper....

19. Oct 3, 2019 #19

Supervisor42

Supervisor42

Supervisor42

Formerly known as Supervisor42 Neighbor

I can design and build circuit boards with integrated-circuit chips, semiconductors, and discreets and make them do weird stuff:D:

100_0360_8.JPG
    IMG_1557.JPG
    IMG_1559.JPG

IMG_1704.JPG

IMG_1837_c.JPG

20. Oct 3, 2019 #20

Haertig

Haertig

Haertig

Awesome Friend Neighbor

I like to research and learn new things. Doesn't matter what, as long as I'm learning something new. Once I feel I've got it to a high functioning level, well, that's enough. Time to move on to the next thing. I'd be a good employee for the R part of your R&D department. Lots of research, but leave the development for others!

Oh, and I play classical piano fairly well. But it takes me a good while to master a difficult piece to performance ready.

21. Oct 4, 2019 #21

Cascadian

Cascadian

Cascadian

I can find the humor in just about everything. I also remember just about every joke I have ever heard but little else

22. Oct 4, 2019 #22

phideaux

phideaux

phideaux

23. Oct 4, 2019 #23

Peanut

Peanut

Peanut

I've always had an exceptional sense of direction. When I used to fly to city's I've never been to for work I always tried to book my flight so I could see that city from the air before dark. Once I got that mental picture I'd never get lost, even in cities as large as Chicago. Cities with curvy rivers can be tricky as streets follow the curves.

The only time I had real trouble... I flew to a city 11 time zones away... my body clock was telling me the sun was going down when it was coming up.

Somehow this flipped east and west in my head and naturally this flipped north and south... I was confused as heck for a week until my body clock adjusted. I hated leaving my hotel... not sure I could find it again.

Maybe it was training... Grew up hunting in swamps at night, not a place you want to get lost.

24. Oct 4, 2019 #24

Weedygarden

Weedygarden

Weedygarden

Me, too! Example: I worked on a committee that was about spending our designated technology money one year. We were talking about this many of these and that many of those at these prices. I said: "Oh, $ X amount, total." The assistant principal begins punching all the numbers into her calculator and when she was finished, she said the number I had told her before she started using her calculator. She looked at me and said, "Isn't that what you said?" "Yes." I had my h.s. Algebra teacher tell me I had one of the highest math aptitudes in my h.s., but Algebra was the worst for me. It just didn't make much sense for me. Mathematics and Geometry are much stronger for me. I thank my mother and grandmother. Grandmother was an accountant but did lots of calculating out loud when I was a child.

I am also good with spatial relationships. I can pack a trunk and get everything to fit while others think there is no more room available and a few more things to go in.

Like Sentry, I can set the timer for something to cook and just before the timer beeps, I have gone in to check. I haven't used an alarm clock for years for the same reason. I will wonder out loud, "It must be around 10:15?" And it will be, sometimes on the dot. I used to be much better about the sense of time when I was younger.

I like to research things. If I am driving in an area and see a sign about something I have never heard of before, I may write it down, and research it when I get home. I would have loved to have been a private detective, especially now, in the computer information age.

Sometimes I meet people and something tells me that something about them is off. I usually find out later that I was right, but not always. Daughter has this ability as well. My daughter had a friend whose step-mother was a prostitute in a club, but was not forthcoming about this with her step-daughter, thankfully, then a teenager. She told her she handled funds in a night club, in the evenings. I met the woman and told my daughter that I thought she was a prostitute. I just had a sense about it. Daughter was outraged that I would think or say that. And then, I saw that the woman was arrested for prostitution. She is a beautiful woman who certainly could have done other things with her life.

25. Oct 4, 2019 #25

Supervisor42

Supervisor42

Supervisor42

Yeah, having solar panels that are fixed and don't continuously face the sun is silly:rolleyes:.
    Having them aimed directly at the sun from morning to night nearly doubles the net W/H power they produce and it ain't rocket-science.
    Yet nearly all of them today are just staring off into space....where the sun ain't:oops:.

Circuit board shown in picture #5 controlling the battery charge-discharge voltage in the solar-powered bug zapper:
    IMG_1845_c.JPG
    It became autonomous in March of 2016.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2019
  26. Oct 4, 2019 #26

Haertig

Haertig

Haertig

Awesome Friend Neighbor

Your handiwork reminds me of Clock Boy...

27. Oct 5, 2019 #27

tazo2503

tazo2503

tazo2503

REDLEG... Neighbor

I do a real good “yes dear”... Actually, in my house it’s “si mami”...

28. Oct 5, 2019 #28

Supervisor42

Supervisor42

Supervisor42

That is an invaluable survival skill. nod.gif I definitely need to work on mine.
    Starting a sentence with "But if..." is still my downfall:oops:. assspank.gif

LadyLocust, Terri9630 and tazo2503 like this.
  29. Oct 5, 2019 #29

SheepDog

SheepDog

SheepDog

If I say "yes dear" it is real slow with a long drawn out sarcastic tone, "YAWS DEEEEAAAAR...."
    Then My wife stops, we laugh and she either changes the subject or rephrases it so it is a request and not a "must do" item.
    My wife is fine with me having control of everything except she won't buy the short dresses I pick out or the low cut blouses. I let her get away with that but I still watch her as she moves about... just to let her know I am enjoying the show.
    Yes, I am THAT guy.

30. Oct 5, 2019 #30

Supervisor42

Supervisor42

Supervisor42

You mean like having control of spark plugs, tires, engine oil changes, appliance repairs, mowing the lawn, paying bills, getting the car tags renewed... yeah I got control of everything too:D.
    ~Yes Dear!~:)