What is your special talent or ability?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mrs. t2 is indeed in control. Because of my job I’ve spent a lot of time away from home over the years. She had the house and the kids. I learned early on whenever I was home not to “knock things off the groovy train”.
Now, I guess I’m just too old to be bothered. It ain’t broke so...

My wife was in corrections for 28 years and is used to getting her way. Previously she could mostly satisfy her pushy genes but now I am all that is available. "Dear, yes dear," is heard around here on a regular basis.

My wife was in corrections for 28 years and is used to getting her way. Previously she could mostly satisfy her pushy genes but now I am all that is available. "Dear, yes dear," is heard around here on a regular basis.

My wife must have worked in corrections in a former life then. ;)

I learned a long time ago that most decisions are rather meaningless. What to eat for dinner, or what color to paint the bedroom, or where to stop and eat. Those decisions mean nothing a day or two later for the most part. So I always let my wife have her way if she wants one thing or another. Big decisions we talk over but with final decision usually made by me. So that is why my wife gets her way 95% of the time, mainly because I don't really care. She stays happy and I stay happy. And after 42 years it seems to be working.

I have raised 90% of my food at one time.
I know a good deal about plants, some wood, metal & plastic fabrication .
I can harvest,dress & prepare my on dinner.
I have a starter collection of hand tools, all which I know how to use.

Well all that you listed minus the car tags, our cars don't need them, and you have to add the bank account, insurance, clothes, food, cooking, groceries, defense and a host of others probably.
She has her chores as well, and she does them without complaint.

I have the strange ability to measure the speed of a car based upon the crush factor of the vehicle and the coefficient of friction. Ol' Sentry probably will concur.
LOL! Is this a prerequisite for the job?

I was driving south of the Black Hills, wanting to get home to Colorado and I was speeding! Yes, on a road where you can drive for miles and not see another human. Coming in my direction was a highway patrolman who kept raising his hand up and down, while pointing downward. He did not stop me, turn around or anything. I slowed down, but I did not want to because I had miles to go before I was home.

I am usually good with numbers and working them in my head. I am probably considered hyper-sensitive by some. I can take a bite of something and tell what's in it(like seasoning.). At the other house being upstairs, I could tell you if the refrigerator was running or not, same with the water pump out in the well house (while I was in the house.) I can hear things, smell, taste etc.
One other weird thing is that I identify architectural aesthetics that are good or bad. There was a place in town that closed down. Hubby mentioned it was being remodeled. I asked if they were going to change the windows. He asked what was wrong with the windows. I told them they were wrong if they actually wanted people to enter the business. It was a few weeks later, he told me they were putting new windows in. It's a hopping place now. It happens a lot, that's just one I could think of.
PS - I am the wife and I do those things on the list above with exception of changing oil. I have done it, but prefer not to on newer rigs. Also, if I ask what is wanted for dinner and hear "I dunno." It's hay bales for dinner. I choose 99% of the time, if I ask it's because I'd like a suggestion. Can gals be in that club too?

Exactly that - if nobody cares what they eat, I threaten them with hay for supper. Ornery I know.
Do you ever do a menu plan? At dinner one evening, ask each person for a suggestion for a meal. I know that many people do not like to have input for what to eat, except when it does not suit them.

I have a friend who had the same problem. She never knew what to cook, no one seemed to care or would give input. She just started serving hot dogs and mac and cheese for dinner. About two weeks into it, her husband said he would be willing to cook dinner. He also started doing the shopping so that he could buy what he was going to cook.

We have a motto in our house: "You get what you get and you don't throw a fit". Pretty much every child at some point sat and watched us eat dinner with an empty plate and went to bed on an empty stomach.

We ate what was served no matter what. If you didn't clean your plate you got no dessert!
It always seemed the best desserts were on the nights we had canned spinach or beef tongue.

We ate what was served no matter what. If you didn't clean your plate you got no dessert!
It always seemed the best desserts were on the nights we had canned spinach or beef tongue.
Yep! And you'd be surprised how much spinach kids will eat when they're staring at a big fat pecan pie sitting in the middle of the table!:D

Are you one of my eight brothers? :)

Do you ever do a menu plan? At dinner one evening, ask each person for a suggestion for a meal. I know that many people do not like to have input for what to eat, except when it does not suit them.

I have a friend who had the same problem. She never knew what to cook, no one seemed to care or would give input. She just started serving hot dogs and mac and cheese for dinner. About two weeks into it, her husband said he would be willing to cook dinner. He also started doing the shopping so that he could buy what he was going to cook.

We have plenty of food and it's not a problem very often, but sometimes feel like I'm in a cooking rut. Hubby already knows I'm willing to cook a big batch of something and eat it every meal for 3 days so he will usually come up with "We haven't had such n such in a while." Like I said it's not often but "I dunno," isn't a valid answer:). Also, we typically have about a year's worth of food on hand so shopping is minimal.
PS I love your new avatar. You are darling. Good job @Sentry18

I pitched a fit about dinner at my grandparents and wouldn't eat it. I ate it at breakfast.

The wife asks me what we should have for dinner every once in awhile. I am totally incompetent at guessing what WE want so she makes the decision.

I pitched a fit about dinner at my grandparents and wouldn't eat it. I ate it at breakfast.

The wife asks me what we should have for dinner every once in awhile. I am totally incompetent at guessing what WE want so she makes the decision.

I have the opposite problem. My wife will sit there with paper and pen for 3 hours and still only come up with 2-3 meals, so she has me make the menu. But she retains veto authority. Which is why I only get to eat chili about 3-4 times each winter.

When we get caught in a rut or I go brain numb, then we have "International week!". Every day we pick a nation or culture and have their food that day, like Spanish Sunday, Mexican Monday, Tuscan Tuesday, etc.

I prefer a weekly meal plan, because it makes my job easier. If I don't have one, husband calls about 7:30 a.m., on his way to work, and asks, "Can we have ______?" Usually I'll make whatever he wants. When I was working, he had to pick up a lot of take out. Problem with menu plan, especially if they include a special diet he's on that's bleech. By 4:30, that plan goes out the window and something else is suggested. Now retired, I like knowing what I'm preparing first thing in the morning. I usually do the prep work ahead of time.

Latest posts

Back