Quantcast

What is your start to foraging and what is it?

Help Support Homesteading Forum:

Bowguy

Super Friend
Neighbor
What’s your first few species? While we have some winter edible mushrooms I don’t find them all that often so primary start time for me is about April. Morels and pheasant back mushroom and fiddleheads. Some years the pheasant back are everywhere. Looking forward to it and wish it wasn’t 12 degrees out today.

SheepDog

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
While you are looking for morels I'll be looking for models and while you look for pheasant backs I'll be looking of peasant with strong backs. :)
Have to keep the ranch going! :)

Sourdough

"Eleutheromaniac"
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
When the five or six feet of snow is "mostly" gone. First up is dandelions, then two weeks after snow totally gone, Fiddlehead ferns (I call them Alaska "Green Snakes")

Last edited:

joel

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
wild cherry,blackberry,wild garlic,Hickory nuts,Black walnuts,Bamboo shoots.

elkhound

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
ramps,morels and then bluegills

Spikedriver

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Not a whole lot of good stuff to forage in my area, but morels and wild asparagus are popular in spring. Early raspberries and mulberries in summer, and then chicken of the woods, gooseberries and elderberries...

Bowguy

Super Friend
Neighbor
When the five or six feet of snow is "mostly" gone. First up is dandelions, then two weeks after snow totally gone, Fiddlehead ferns (I call them Alaska "Green Snakes")
I’ve never heard them called that. I actually didn’t realize they grew that far north either. Interesting

herbalnewbie

Super Friend
Neighbor
What’s your first few species? While we have some winter edible mushrooms I don’t find them all that often so primary start time for me is about April. Morels and pheasant back mushroom and fiddleheads. Some years the pheasant back are everywhere. Looking forward to it and wish it wasn’t 12 degrees out today.
I'll be looking in the trees for crossvine next month.

joel

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Foraging 55 gallons of Blackwalnuts.

Curmudgeon

Malinois' are awesome.
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
I’ve never heard them called that. I actually didn’t realize they grew that far north either. Interesting
They are quite plentiful and popular in Maine as well.

Peanut

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Interesting
The latin name is Bignonia capreolata. It's an amazing medicinal that I use weekly in tincture form. My favorite is tea from the leaves, yummy. I posted about it here...

I'm unsure if it grows as far south as Florida.

Latest posts