What kind of oil for bread?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Woody

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
I have kind of settled on Canola oil for my Italian bread and Kaiser rolls. I use ti to grease the bowl for primary rises also. I am open to suggestions, does anyone have a different favorite oil they have good success with?

I initially started out with Olive Oil. I figured, why not, it is good stuff on everything else! But it was ‘flavoring’ my bread. Enough so that the Italian did not take quite like it should. I tried a few other oils (do not really remember which to be honest) and settled on the canola, it seemed to be the most ‘inert’ tasting one.

For helping me.. I will pass along this woman’s Italian Bread recipe. If you have ever been to upstate NY or in NYC, THIS is what Italian bread tastes like. She said she could not get it in Albany, but we had a great Italian bakery in Binghamton, NY, that made it.

I make a half recipe loaf, it comes out very well. Just cut the ingredients in half. Play around with the salt amount to your taste. IT does not take much either way to make it different. I prefer a little saltier taste. For dough texture: I hand kneed and like it so it just sticks, yet fully separates from my palm. If I stopped mid kneed, I would be able to lift the dough ball up just by it sticking to my hand, but not be ‘messy’ or too wet. All the dough will easily separate from my hand. If I make the dough wetter, I can’t get good tension in it for the last rise before baking. Too wet and it just flattens out. Too dry and it tases too dry – yuk. Just right and you will get a great, free-standing loaf of Italian bread!

To finish: Right before it goes into the oven I brush it with half and half. I do not cover it for the final rise, so it has a little crust on it and it takes the basteing nicely. It gives it a great, sort of flaky crust.

To bake: 400 for 20 minutes for a softer crust. 400 for 25 minutes gives it a nice tooth to the crust. Not crunchy hard, but really nice.

Same woman: Kaiser Rolls. These really are Da Bomb! I do not cover them for the final rise, I can never get the towel to come off correct. It pulls at them and they all flatten out!! Again, I do a half recipe and get 6…. Or is it 8 hamburger sized buns. It takes quite a bit of tension on them when you are balling them up. Try putting a little less oil in them, I prefer them that way.

So not to be that person, but here I am 😖 Canola oil is nondigestable by roughly 50% of people and is not healthy. Okay, said it - won't say any more on that as you get to do as you want.
Another good oil though is avocado. We find it works well but doesn't add the olive oil flavor when it's not desired.

So not to be that person, but here I am 😖 Canola oil is nondigestable by roughly 50% of people and is not healthy. Okay, said it - won't say any more on that as you get to do as you want.
Another good oil though is avocado. We find it works well but doesn't add the olive oil flavor when it's not desired.
Ok, I did not know. I will look for some avocado oil next week, thank you!

Good to know, thank you. I use olive oil for Pizza dough, but melt butter when recipes call for oil. We don't really use oil in baking here and I don't keep vegetable oil so when I'm making an American recipe I use butter or baking margarine depending on the cake.

I never use canola oil in anything, tastes bad imo and I am pretty sure it's not good for you either, plus it doesn't have a high temp point so you can't cook with it well either

For my farmers market bread I use:
German rye, no oil at all
White american: butter
Challah: vegetable oil
Turkish or Italien: olive oil
any sweet enriched bread : butter
Artisan bread: no oil

for rolls I would either not use any oil if you make European style rolls, or butter for American style rolls

One more thing: maybe if the taste is too much, use less oil. I use about 2-3 tbsps for 2 loaves on average except sweet dough

Resurrection time!

I have settled on butter, regular salted butter.

I use the gas oven for the rises. Fire it up, wait until the temp reaches 150F then shut it off. It goes up to 165 but settles much lower once I open the door. For the past many months it has been my SOP and working very well.

I ‘preheat’ the oven for the rise and while it is heating I put a bowl with butter in it, in the oven. By the time I have the other ingredients mixed up and it is time for the butter, it is all melted and can be mixed right in just before the first kneading, then into the oven to rise.

I also grease the rise bowl with butter.

Canola oil is non digestible by 50% of people and not healthy... Or close to that...
-- --
I'm sure there are some people who can't tolerate canola oil... Likely people who can't tolerate ..fill in the blank.. oil also...
Seems a lot of the world imports and uses canola oil quite successfully.. Never had an issue with it, but at times have had other oils leave unpleasant tastes and such...
Everyone taste is different..

https://www.canolacouncil.org/about-canola/oil/#:~:text=More healthy fats than any,No trans fat

I've been using my chili/onion or garlic oil lately to good effect. its a zing to fried corn fritters.

I really prefer to bake with butter. I keep both salted and unsalted butter. If I use salted butter in a recipe, I adjust the recipe with less salt. When I pan fry something like eggs, I typically use butter too, but once in a while I will use olive oil.
I don't remember where I read it or what it said exactly, but canola oil has been on my list of things to stay away from, like soy oil. Corn oil is something else that I don't use. A friend of mine, an excellent cook, uses peanut oil and recommends it. She also reacts to anything with corn in it and most processed foods.
I use so little oil that it any time I have any, it gets rancid before I use it, and I don't consume rancid oils. I save them for lamp oil.

Latest posts

Back