What languages do you speak?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
English and Spanish, the two languages in a now-bilingual United States. There are enough bilingual Hispanics in Twin Falls ID to talk with at restaurants, shops, and the school where I work that I don't have much problem keeping in practice.

Last edited:
I speak Southern. I understand Ebonics, I had a French nanny when i was a baby, I was told I knew French. But forgot more than I learned, c'est la vie . I know a little Cajon and can pass for a retarded Mexican. Just enough to eat and fight. Learned a tad bit of Tagalog While in the Philippines
Which consists of ordering food, a beer, a bottle of White castle Whiskey and a few words that will make you slap me for $5.00 lol

Only English, southern english, lol.. granddaughter who is 4 says she can speak Spanish LOL then starts that jibberish, so cute.., I would love to study and learn Hebrew, but way too hard...

Some sites will translate it,I studied Hebrew for a little while 40yr ago, but forgot most of it. I think ish means man.Also in hebrew one word can have several different meanings not many words in the hebrew language as most others.

Some sites will translate it,I studied Hebrew for a little while 40yr ago, but forgot most of it. I think ish means man.Also in hebrew one word can have several different meanings not many words in the hebrew language as most others.
I to have studied Hebrew and the word "adam" means man.

Concordances are helpful in understanding various meanings.

The words. "blood" and "life" seem to be synonymous.

Ben

I am pretty good at sheep, goat, pig, donkey, cow, cat, horse and chicken. I imitate them well enough that they respond and have conversations. As a kid I would always be called upon to find lost livestock. They came running when I did my thing. The only draw back was that so did every one else that was looking for critters.

I did manage to pick up enough pigeon Spanish mixed with charades, to buy groceries in Caracas, and I could parley enough horse talk in Arabic to buy feed supplies. I learned to read and write numbers in Spanish and Arabic and basic directions but that was as far as I could stretch my people language talents.
What I hear and what comes out of my mouth are two completely different things.

I am pretty good at sheep, goat, pig, donkey, cow, cat, horse and chicken. I imitate them well enough that they respond and have conversations. As a kid I would always be called upon to find lost livestock. They came running when I did my thing. The only draw back was that so did every one else that was looking for critters.

Oh goodness ClemKadiddlehopper! Ever since this thread started I’ve been thinking the same thing 😂
I speak English, redneck and animal myself

long ago, I could speak german fluently. I also had basics of french. When Kiddo was in school, I learned basic ASL, but no longer use it with her (no one around to sign with, but she still signs if she can't get her point across....she has remembered more than I, her teacher worked with her for at least 2 years. My DD is non verbal, but can get her point accross most of the time)

I did manage to pick up enough pigeon Spanish mixed with charades, to buy groceries in Caracas, and I could parley enough horse talk in Arabic to buy feed supplies. I learned to read and write numbers in Spanish and Arabic and basic directions but that was as far as I could stretch my people language talents.
What I hear and what comes out of my mouth are two completely different things.
Have you ever talked to a bob white?
Is Bob white a male or is Bob Bob white the male?

I to have studied Hebrew and the word "adam" means man.

Concordances are helpful in understanding various meanings.

The words. "blood" and "life" seem to be synonymous.

Ben

Or'ish'

https://biblehub.com/hebrew/376.htm

Strong's Concordance
ish: man​
Original Word: אִישׁ
Part of Speech: Noun Masculine
Transliteration: ish
Phonetic Spelling: (eesh)
Definition: man
NAS Exhaustive Concordance
Word Origin
from an unused word
Definition
man
NASB Translation
adulteress* (1), all (1), another (2), any (6), any man (21), any man's (4), any one (3), anyone (16), anyone* (1), archers* (1), Benjamite* (3), certain (6), champion* (2)
see HEBREW 'enowsh
see HEBREW 'ishshah

Pig latin is animal,I speak that too.'rtay,ewya oingay utae ethey orstay'?
...And all this time I have been trying to figure out your spelling, I should have known
brickwall100.gif

...And all this time I have been trying to figure out your spelling, I should have knownView attachment 57530.
Being dyslexic myself I can relate to @Meerkat . I once tried to spell "simultaneously" before spell checking was invented and just gave up and typed" at the same time". And while I am at it... Who decided there should be a "g" in the word length? I was writting some code in DCL and kept getting syntax errors in a line of code and I simply could figure out why. Had to ask someone else and they spotted the "lenth"

Calm down Ben! The whole world is not out to get you, only the spelling teachers.

Ben

Being dyslexic myself I can relate to @Meerkat . I once tried to spell "simultaneously" before spell checking was invented and just gave up and typed" at the same time". And while I am at it... Who decided there should be a "g" in the word length? I was writting some code in DCL and kept getting syntax errors in a line of code and I simply could figure out why. Had to ask someone else and they spotted the "lenth"

Calm down Ben! The whole world is not out to get you, only the spelling teachers.

Ben
I'm dyslexic too, but I hide it pretty well.
Say hello to my little friend!
machine-gun.gif
:
https://www.dictionary.com

I thought the word "simultaneously" shared a common root with the word "synchronous" since they both had to do time. Looking in the dictionary for "symotaneous" was futile.

Ben
Just be clear now. You were not talking about MY dictionary I posted.
This is what I see:
Dictionary1.jpg

I thought the word "simultaneously" shared a common root with the word "synchronous" since they both had to do time. Looking in the dictionary for "symotaneous" was futile.

Ben

I had an English teacher that always said to look up words to find out how their spelled. How the heck am I supposed to find a word like xylophone if I don't already know that it starts with an x and not a z!!!

I had an English teacher that always said to look up words to find out how their spelled. How the heck am I supposed to find a word like xylophone if I don't already know that it starts with an x and not a z!!!
Those days are bygone.
Today you can use mine. You don't even have to be close to correct:
Dictionary3.JPG

I am fluent in redneck, cajun, and english.
Don't get to speak english very much though :rolleyes:.
"Here, put my spanner in the boot of the lorry".View attachment 55476
I will eventually have to learn to understand (not speak) some spanish.
People will use it to talk around you sometimes.:mad:
When they do that answer them in Spanish.
Freaks them out majorly.
Don't ask how I know. lol lol

Back