What movies do you recommend for Survival.

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flight

I just me.
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
I subscribed to a new email prepping site, while visiting their sight I seen a thing on doomsday movies. I got my interest, so I clicked it. I thought I would share this to see what your thoughts are. It also lists the movies but it was to big for me to add here. can't clean it up enough (on my phone)to fit lol

https://www.primalsurvivor.net/doomsday-movies/

17 Doomsday Movies for Preppers to Watch
by Jacob Hunter

I want to clarify that most of the doomsday movies out there are a bunch of Hollywood BS. The heroes make ridiculous decisions that would get them killed in a true SHTF survival scenario. The writers gloss over the less-entertaining aspects of disasters.

Have you ever seen a doomsday movie where the characters had to crap in a bucket or wade through sewage?

No, because that doesn’t make for good entertainment.

With that said, there is some value to watching prepping movies. Aside from being entertaining, they are a good way to introduce the topic of disaster preparedness to your family or even your friends and neighbors.

As you watch one of the ridiculous doomsday movies, go ahead and pause it to ask, “What would you do in that situation?” or “Did you know that you need to boil water when the power goes out?” or (for your neighbors) “Do you have a 30 day supply of emergency food and water?”

I have actually watched most of the movies listed. Yes some are good, if you stop to think what would be the SMART thing to do? Red Dawn while very entertaining, would get most folks very dead very quickly. Movement leaves tracks, especially in the winter. Food supplies, water sources, very limited logistics not to mention almost zero communication capabilities. A small band of teenagers are not going to last long. If they had been smart, they would have left for the free part of the USA and become organized. Anyway a bit off topic. Hollywood is for entertainment, not real life.

Yes I agree but if those said movies actually got a person thinking about survival or prepping at the very least. would that not be a good idea? I think it's a start in the right direction anyways.

I have to agree with the thinking part. Even the stupid Zombie moves can show you what NOT to do. Plus they can be fun to watch. Just do not let Hollywood do the thinking for you. Thinking about prepping and survival is always a good thing.

I watched many of them & most of the ones I watch were crap for learning anything real.
They were for fun & to make money.
Red dawn, just happen to go in a sports goods store to get weapons, that most prepper/homesteader already have put away just for this kind of thing.
Lets not forget the urinating in the truck cooling system, what kelp the urine from running out the same holes the water did.
The love story in The day after tomorrow, was the best part.
Ships with wolves & Environmentalist wet dream, really!
The fake survival show teach more then the Hollywood movies do, in MHO.
But if you learned something, great for you.

I liked The Road for it's sheer gritty reality BUT it had huge holes in it that a 18 wheeler could drive through.

WHY didn't he stay at the bunker with the food?

WHY did he walk on open roads when there were mobile bands of armed cannibals?

WHY in the name of all creation walk up to a house who's drive way was decorated by severed heads?

And with all of them the amount of dumb choices and the absence of critical thinking had me ripping my hair out.

I liked The Road for it's sheer gritty reality BUT it had huge holes in it that a 18 wheeler could drive through.

WHY didn't he stay at the bunker with the food?

WHY did he walk on open roads when there were mobile bands of armed cannibals?

WHY in the name of all creation walk up to a house who's drive way was decorated by severed heads?

And with all of them the amount of dumb choices and the absence of critical thinking had me ripping my hair out.

I have to agree with with your analysis. Very poor decisions. Any type of critical thinking went out the window about 5 minutes into the movie.

My uncle used to say that if you got one or two ideas from a book that it was worth reading the entire book. I believe that the same is true for movies. I think that learning what not to do is just as important as learning what to do.

Urinating in a radiator works with a small leak or a bad radiator cap. I have put water in a few radiators that had no observable leak.

I watch these movies for entertainment. the few ideas that I pick up are a bonus.

So in other words, there is not really any good movies out there.

Flight, they all offer something, even if it is what NOT to do. I admit I enjoy watching them but now I am also critiquing them for what I might do and what I would certainly not do. Both are very valuable lessons.

I've watched i don't know how many prepper shows,to tornado shows.like tornado ally..in which i agree.there's things to learn,when comes to what to do.and not to do.i also watch them mostly for entertainment. I hate how they edit them.I've watched a few where the ppl in them appear to be pretty smart.but the shows and editers make them look stupid and/or crazy..

"Alone in the Wilderness" is a great film to learn a bit from. It chronicles Dick Proenneke as he builds a home in the Alaska wilderness. One man, alone building a real home. You could duplicate most of what he did just about anywhere in the world. There would be differences in building materials and different approaches to the challenges but the process would be much the same.

I agree with other posters in that any movie or book that makes you think about things differently is worth the watch or read. I have to confess.......after watching an episode of Walking Dead, I stocked up on chocolate pudding!:p Love me some puddin! I watch some of those shows for entertainment purposes only but have given extra thought to some aspects that I wouldn't have considered before like in the book One Second After. That book actually motivated me to get a canner and jars, although I haven't really invested much time into my garden yet. I do enjoy watching Alone on History Channel. I think shows like that are much more realistic than any movie I've seen.

I'm not much of a Doomsday person anyways.....I prefer to prepare for what I know is likely to happen such as illness, retirement, bad weather, etc. I focus my efforts on those things and so whatever happens I should be ahead of the curve. If I have to survive outdoors for a long period of time, I'm toast. Still, I prefer books over movies. Most of the movies I kinda roll my eyes at b/c it is all Hollywood and no substance. A movie about living off grid long term would be pretty boring. How long would anyone watch an Amish movie.....aside from Witness, of coarse.....but again, even that is all Hollywood.

Watched a Youtube of "Naked and Afraid."

First couple "tapped out" (gave up the first night). They had built their shelter beside a swamp and was savaged by mosquitoes.

Evidently the show's Producer wanted to recoup some his overhead so he brought in a backup couple. The little female looked like one of today's college age snowflakes. Male was muscular white knight in shinning armor type. Male saw the first couple's attempt at shelter building and wanted to build on that. Female said no we need to get on high ground away from this swamp! I'll see if I can find the Youtube I'm trying to describe. Curious how close my memory is to the actual clip!

The TV show "Survivors". Too many Idiots! Take away their mass transit, credit card, Google and Latte and they are helpless. I yell a lot at that show. I think it would be fun to be on the show IF it wasn't for the swimming parts. I'm all bone and no fat, sink like a lead rock!

Last edited:
"Alone in the Wilderness" is a great film to learn a bit from. It chronicles Dick Proenneke as he builds a home in the Alaska wilderness. One man, alone building a real home. You could duplicate most of what he did just about anywhere in the world. There would be differences in building materials and different approaches to the challenges but the process would be much the same.
I read the book and enjoyed it. Had no idea there was a movie about his adventures. I don't watch much tv and rarely a movie but if I happen to see this one pop up I may just have to.

none of them, they are all fiction, nice for entertainment but I don't base my survival on them.

If you want to understand how a global pandemic might spread or start and what the whole-gov- response might be in a extremely realistic way watch "Contagion"

I like "Mad Max" but it isn't going to happen like that for real.

If you want to understand how a global pandemic might spread or start and what the whole-gov- response might be in a extremely realistic way watch "Contagion"
Just watched this. Good movie...not like a blockbuster, although it is star-studded. It basically just tells the story of a modern version of the Influenza outbreak from 100 years ago, as if if happened again today (and a bit worse). I recommend it.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back