What nuke preps do you keep on hand?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sonya_6

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
So what preps do you keep on hand that would be especially valuable in the event of a nuclear problem? What do you want to add?

(Yes, I am a bit nuke obsessed this week, was a year ago too but now it is back).

I currently have...
-- 1 packet of KI (that nobody in the house needs since we are "mature")
-- 112 doses of calcium phosphate
-- 3m full face respirator with a couple of different filters (left over from the Ebola scare)
-- Two cheap Tyvec suits (also from the Ebola panic)

I seal most of the windows up with plastic shrink wrap in the winter to prevent drafts, all things considered I think I will leave that up a few more weeks "just in case". Course if something happened in the summer I don't know what we would do since we have to shelter in the house, ain't no way we could survive the heat with the windows closed up for days on end. That is one good reason to have an underground shelter, just for climate control if nothing else, but we don't have one.

As far as preps to add, I definitely need more water, have to pick up a couple of containers. Maybe some more calcium and some bentonite clay too.

Oh and I have a list of radiation symptoms by level taped up in the storage room. I figure if the shtf and panic sets in being able to guesstimate if we are likely to get sick (and have a reference handy) will create peace of mind (or not, depending).

symptoms.jpg

Last edited:
I have particulate masks and tyvek coveralls with hoods that pull tight with draw strings. I have goggles to cover the eyes and gloves for the hands and booties for the feet. No need for the potassium iodine or other mineral inhibitors since we are not in a fallout zone. I do have a geiger counter and electrostatic detectors for ionizing radiation but they are left-overs from living in Seattle - surrounded by military and high probability nonmilitary targets. My food and water reserves will easily get us through a month of waiting for the fallout to settle. The nearest likely victim relocation area is 100 miles away which is about the same distance we are from any likely target now. We also have plastic sheets and zip tape if needed but it will likely be used as weed prevention in the garden before we ever need it for any NBC event. (Nuclear, Biological, Chemical)

Thanks for the advice OP.
Never heard of iosat tabs, and some of the other things listed for nuke preps.
I really do need to prepare.

If you want to buy IOSAT tabs (otherwise known as Potassium Iodide or KI, don't use other types of iodine) realize it is mainly needed by children and teens (desperately needed since they have very high rates of lethal thyroid cancer within a handful of years following serious radiation events). If I had young dogs in the house I would also consider it for them (after researching canine tolerance for iodide levels).

It is not recommended for folks over 40 (the older you are, the slower thyroid cancer progresses, so if you are over 40 chances are some other natural cause will kill you long before you ever showed symptoms of thyroid cancer).

Prices run high and supplies low as people panic over nuke threats, if your household is all older adults you might be better of buying just calcium phosphate and bentonite clay instead.

Last edited:
I do not stock a lot for this situation, I figure I am a gonner if I would need them. My main line of attack was to bug out, leave the area ASAP. Only supplies I had to bug in were rolls of clear plastic and duct tape to seal the inside of the house off, or at a least a few rooms. Enough air would circulate up through the crawl space into the house for breathing. Same supplies I would have used for any kind of epidemic: isolation... as much as possible.

My reasoning: In a short-term event, fallout passing over/through my area, I would be able to shelter in place until it passed. Then it would just be the residual fallout on the ground to worry about. In a Fukashima type event, sheltering in place is not an option as the area would be inhabitable.

@tiffanysgallery also if you haven't really done any research into nukes, I made a video about a year ago that briefly covers some of the basics (i.e. emergency shelter options, timeline of risks after a strike, rule of 7, duck and cover etc...). That might be a good quick primer.

Video focuses primarily on the last known research data done by the US gov regarding survival stats and risks. It also touches on the difference between Russia and the US with regard to capabilities and civil defense plans (which would probably annoy some).

(PS anyone that watches the video will probably note that I do not pronounce the word nuclear correctly, yes I have already been told that about 100 times now).

Last edited:
So what preps do you keep on hand that would be especially valuable in the event of a nuclear problem? What do you want to add?

(Yes, I am a bit nuke obsessed this week, was a year ago too but now it is back).

I currently have...
-- 1 packet of KI (that nobody in the house needs since we are "mature")

-- 112 doses of calcium phosphate
-- 3m full face respirator with a couple of different filters (left over from the Ebola scare)
-- Two cheap Tyvec suits (also from the Ebola panic)

I seal most of the windows up with plastic shrink wrap in the winter to prevent drafts, all things considered I think I will leave that up a few more weeks "just in case". Course if something happened in the summer I don't know what we would do since we have to shelter in the house, ain't no way we could survive the heat with the windows closed up for days on end. That is one good reason to have an underground shelter, just for climate control if nothing else, but we don't have one.

As far as preps to add, I definitely need more water, have to pick up a couple of containers. Maybe some more calcium and some bentonite clay too.

Oh and I have a list of radiation symptoms by level taped up in the storage room. I figure if the shtf and panic sets in being able to guesstimate if we are likely to get sick (and have a reference handy) will create peace of mind (or not, depending).

symptoms.jpg
Sonya - I was just wondering if you could share where you purchase your calcium phosphate. I was shopping for it today and realized that it's not very easy to find. Most of the supplements are calcium carbonate. I finally found a couple, but not many at all.

Also, could you post that document in your photo or copy and paste here? I think you have a great idea there! Especially considering how scary a situation like that would be. Quick and easy information would be awesome to have on hand.

To anyone interested, here is a link as to why I'm looking for the calcium phosphate:
https://www.remm.nlm.gov/calcium.htm#use

I got nothing. can't afford it and all the stuff that you apparently need lol

I have only one thing for nuclear attack, KIO3. I, of course, have food and water for disruptions of service. I also picked up Tyvek coveralls, rubber gloves, and N-95 masks for volcanic eruptions or epidemics. Gas masks to escape a house fire or drive through a wild fire. I keep calcium carbonate for indigestion. I keep spare medications in case I can't get my prescriptions for any reason, but, no, I don't prep very much for a nuclear event.

"What nuke preps do you keep on hand?"

None. One of my problems is replacing preps that have shelf lifes.

Thought about stocking some Potassium Iodate tablets. Shelf life 7 years?
I did not realize there was a shelf life on them. My iosat potassium iodide tablets are out of date. I think they are better than no tablets. But I am over 50 years old, so I don't really need them. One of the things we can do is to eat sea weed to protect our thyroids. It is nasty stuff, imho, but a good prep for nuclear preparedness.

Iosat potassium iodide tablets could not be found right after Fukishima blew. There was a huge demand for them, because few people had prepared for such an event. I knew people who decided they needed them after the fact and back ordered them.

JAC, I am impressed by your gear.

I have one older gas mask, but I have been wondering about getting a newer variety.
N-95 masks are probably not adequate. In other events when they would be adequate protection, a pair of safety goggles would be helpful as well.

I have some plastic sheeting, but thinking of covering all of my windows now, I am woefully not prepared to do that. I would like to have heavy plastic, cut to size for each window, labeled, and stored in a plastic cub with duct tape.

This is a great topic. Thank you for starting this thread.

I have only one thing for nuclear attack, KIO3. I, of course, have food and water for disruptions of service. I also picked up Tyvek coveralls, rubber gloves, and N-95 masks for volcanic eruptions or epidemics. Gas masks to escape a house fire or drive through a wild fire. I keep calcium carbonate for indigestion. I keep spare medications in case I can't get my prescriptions for any reason, but, no, I don't prep very much for a nuclear event.

I don't prep for a nuke event specifically, but like you mentioned above, many of the preps overlap for other things. I have tyvek coveralls, gloves, masks, plastic sheeting, etc. mostly for some sort of bio situation. I also have some books and handouts that I have looked at but keep in my library. However, truth be told, I have dug into these types of preps for painting and other projects around the house.;)

As with everything, it's better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

Keeping fallout out of your lungs and digestive system is a real good idea. You can do that with a respirator that has disposable filters.
A clean water shower (cold) will keep most of it from affecting you.If you inhale or ingest it the only way to fight it is to make sure you have all your nutrients abundant in your body.
If you are over 30 you don't need to take iodine but calcium, sodium and potassium are easily replaced with radioactive salts from fallout. If your body doesn't need them then the radioactive salts just get flushed out. Make it a point to stay away from green leafy veggies grown in soil exposed to fallout.

nuclear war is the one thing I don't prep for because I don't think its surviveable and who wants to live on a dead planet anyway?

if you can call it survival, most people alive then had shorter lives and birth defects were common.
and that was just two nukes, nowadays there are hundreds of the things around the world, no I don't think survival would be possible.

in a country the size of Britain it wouldn't take many missiles to bracket the whole country, although I don't live anywhere near a possible target.

Latest posts

Back