What Pet Do You Have?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The newest addition to the menagerie , Mickey Dee. She was rescued from a sewer at a McDonalds. Turns out the rescuer is allergic to cats, so here she is as a foster to adopt from a rescue organization.

1597946355260.png

And last our crow who guards our hens for last two years. He is here demanding his meal twice a day. He has alreadt taken down a couple hawks himand his side kick that seldom comes up close.His name is Pretty Bird. He knows his name well.

1597958394541.png

I mentioned in another thread I'd gotten a puppy. He's german sheppard and registered from good working dog bloodlines.

I got him at 9weeks, he weighed 19lbs then. He'll be 16weeks old tomorrow. The last 3 pic's are the last night he got to climb up in my recliner. That was last weekend, he weighed 38lbs. He's to big for the chair.

He surprises me everyday with his intelligence and the speed at which he learns.

Sam HCL 22oct20 (1).JPG
Sam HCL 22oct20 (2).JPG
Sam HCL 22oct20 (3).JPG
Sam HCL 22oct20 (3)a.JPG
Sam HCL 22oct20 (5).JPG
Sam HCL 22oct20 (6).JPG

STOP feeding that poor thing Miracle-Gro!!!! Wow, he is growing fast, fast! I can see how happy and content he is, too. It looks like you have a devoted companion and workmate for life!

In the first pic the pup is next to my old sheppard and looks tiny, not like he weighs 19lbs. It's because my old sheppard is so large. He's 7/8ths sheppard and 1/8th Great Pyrenees sheep dog. He's 25lbs heavier and 3 inches taller than a typical german sheppard male.

Since The Princess and I were computer professionals, and sometimes found ourselves out of town for weeks or more at a time, we could not commit to living pets. So The Princess has these pets that she sets loose on Sunday night after the g-daughters depart.

20201024_180936.jpg

20201024_181021.jpg

It is fun to watch them interact and they never leave a mess to clean up.

Ben

Since The Princess and I were computer professionals, and sometimes found ourselves out of town for weeks or more at a time, we could not commit to living pets. So The Princess has these pets that she sets loose on Sunday night after the g-daughters depart.

View attachment 52351

View attachment 52352

It is fun to watch them interact and they never leave a mess to clean up.

Ben

I have been looking to add one of those to our pets but K is against more things that run around the house when we are asleep.

STOP feeding that poor thing Miracle-Gro!!!! Wow, he is growing fast, fast!

Since I'm having trouble selling all my eggs... He gets a raw egg in his kibble in the morning and another in the evening. Hey, it was good enough for Rocky! His dog food also gets a dusting of crushed volcanic rock... contains over 80 minerals and elements, certified for the organic production of plants and animals... He is well fed!

I don't think I've ever watched a critters growth spurts so closely. A few days pass and his body gets longer or maybe rounder. This week it was his legs. Now they are to long for his body. He looks goofy!!! I laughed at him several times today, looks like he's on stilts! Of course this makes him clumsy, he fell down a couple of times this afternoon.

I'm late to the party: I have two dogs, two cows, and sixteen cats.
My oldest pet right now is my brahma/jersey cow KwaiYing. She was a dummy calf (wouldn't nurse & had to be tube fed & trained to bottle feed). Vet gave her to me after my old cow died. Said he needed someone he knew would take good care of her.
It was between 2003 & 2005 that we got her. A neighbor's bull broke the fence to breed with her in 2007 so she had a calf in 2008. The father was a Brangus.
Kwai is big, fat, red, & likes to chase people. She used to follow me around like a puppy everywhere up until she had her own baby to keep her company. She's very playful but also sweet. She likes it when I stroke her face & sing "Baby Mine" lullaby to her. She has a very weird moo that almost sounds like a donkey braying.
Alleria is her calf. She's fat & slightly smaller than her mom. She never grew horns. She's a bit skittish. She's black with white on her head. She sometimes lets me pet her face but isn't overly cuddly. She has a very deep voice for her moo.

Our oldest cat is Boo (a fluffy black cat). He's got sort of cauliflower ear on his left side after his ear got swollen. He's got a great purr, a cute chittering meow, & loves cuddles & belly rubs. He's a big fat ball of love.
Next is Boo's cousin (their mothers were littermates) Itsy- she's a small fluffy tuxedo tabby who loves to get into things & loves attention. She has the sweetest meow-- always makes a rolled r type sound like she's talking to kittens. She was a very good mother to her kittens. She comes running to me if I sing "The Last Rose of Summer".
Then there's Predicate a slim large long-tailed classic tabby. His mother was Itsy's sister Bitsy (who passed away from a snake bite after vet misdiagnosis). He's devoted to me & loves to climb on my shoulder & be carried around.
Ginger is a one-eyed orange tabby we rescued from the semi-feral cat colony that Boo & Itsy came from. I was feeding the cats at my late friend's house (per his wishes) & she had a bad eye infection. I'd been catching her & cleaning her eye, but it got bad quickly. Her eyeball was dead & she was going to die so I took her to the vet & he said prognosis was poor but to bring her back in a week after giving her antibiotics. She was super cuddly & I had her sleep in my bed with me. She was much better by the next visit & vet was happily surprised. She was able to have surgery to remove her eye. She's a small kitty with a squeak for a voice & she's very loving. She drools when she gets excited & she tries to get other cats to lick her forehead.
Not long after that her brother Rupert (also an orange tabby) was sick with ear infection. He was skittish & tried to run at first but his balance got bad so he turned in circles & fell down. Got him treated & now he's one of our most loving cats. Trained him to high-five. His teeth fell out due to some gum problems, but he's a happy kitty who loves to cuddle and comes when called.
Mewlatto is our fluffy black & white tuxedo kitty with a black nose. We found him abandoned in the woods as a small kitten. He was terrified. He doesn't like other cats but he loves to be petted. He has a cute little voice & does this adorable thing where he reaches for people with his paw from across the room. He is a bit on the dainty side but he's a fat kitty.
A few of the cats were born to some cats we fostered who are no longer with us. There were two litters.
Yasuke is a black short-haired cat with a wide face who loves the front room (where he was born). He claims that room as his territory & spends a lot of time in there. He doesn't get along with some of his siblings but he loves people and demands attention. He likes the youngest kittens & plays with them (more on them later).
Sir Hammington is a fluffy gray & white tuxedo cat. He's big & can be a bit of a jerk to both humans and cats. He will swat & bite when he gets mad, but he's also very cuddly. He likes to headbutt people and hugs my neck. He comes running if I sing the Celtic song "My Own Native Land"- usually makes it over before I get to the "Tis Ireland my country" part.
Biscuits is a fluffy sweet black & white tuxedo cat with a pink nose. He's slim compared to the other cats & loves attention. He's relatively quiet, but he jumps up on people wanting attention & will climb into people's arms. He knows his name so he looks over or comes over when someone says his name.
Senator Snugglebum is a solid gray thick cat. He picks fights with other cats (particularly Sir Hammington and Yasuke). He loves people & wants to be held & cuddled. He likes to sleep on people's beds and snuggle.
Then we have Gravy Jones. He's a black & white short-haired tuxedo kitty with a pink nose. He's very loud & vocal. He likes to talk to people when they walk by & wants to be petted. He reaches out and grabs people with his claws if they don't pet him or if they stop petting him. He gets very excited about being petted & doesn't like to hold still. He has recently been picking on one of his sisters.
Lady Sylvanas is a dilute tortoiseshell (gray & orange colors instead of the darker colors torties usually have). She's a very sweet small kitty who loves to be petted. She gets beat up by other cats so she hides a lot, but she loves people. She likes to sleep on top of the toaster (we have a cover for the toaster & keep it unplugged when not in use). She used to sleep in the pantry until we locked it. She also likes to hang out at the barn & will come running if I call her.
Aminatu is a fluffy fat calico. She purrs very loudly & loves to run in front of people's feet and flop down & roll on the ground. She's aggressive about getting petted & doesn't like a lot of other cats. She will growl at them if they are near but tolerates them if she's getting petted.
Bethesda is a white shorthaired cat with a gray tail & white tip. We found her near an auto parts store injured as a kitten. Took her to the vet & found it was just a swollen bruise but took her home to care for her. She's a little bit younger than the 2nd litter of kittens but is close enough in age she fit in with them well. She has a weird raspy meow & demands attention. She grabs people and chases them. She likes to chew on things so she's been a problem with speaker wires, but she's a sweet kitty.
The youngest two are Temjin & Namir. They were born April 20th to a friend's tuxedo cat named Tux.
Namir has a slim body & long face. He's got a little bit of white on his chest & he's very cuddly & loves to be held & petted.
Temjin has a slightly flatter face and is a bit smaller with silkier fur. She's a little hellion. She's the investigator & climber. She also is pretty destructive. She's torn the hell out of the cube I made for them & today she chewed through one of the supports for their hammock. They've never been outside & have always been in some sort of cage, but we plan to let them explore the room more once we get things cleaned up. I hope she won't be as destructive once she has more ground to play on. I need to get her spayed soon.

I will have to find pics later, but right now I have to go get Predicate out of the living room bc he's climbing on Mom.

edit: I forgot the dogs!
Our oldest is a black chiweenie named Fippy. He is fat, short-legged, & has attitude. He's figured out how to open doors & get in & out of places. He constantly forces my door open so he can come in & let other pets in. We got him the day our 100lb rottweiler died. He was abandoned on the road as a 4lb puppy. We went door to door to see if anyone owned him & didn't find anyone. Vet didn't recognize him & he bonded with Mom so we kept him. At first he was completely devoted to her- we would bring him on car trips & I'd sit in the car with him while Mom went into the store (before she was disabled). He would whine & watch the door for her to come out. We brought him with us to my sister's house on a long trip & had to share a bed. He slept between us & ever since then he's grown more attached to me & has a ritual where every night when Mom goes to bed, he pushes my door open & fusses at me to get up & walk him to her door to let him in to her room. He's got a weird lump on his side from scarring. He picked a fight with a pit bull who shook him like a rag doll.
Youngest dog is some kind of fluffy mutt we named Princess. My brother meant to call her Princess Flooffaboof but it got shortened. She's had puppies before but we think she's spayed. She showed up at my brother's work one day & climbed into his lap. Couldn't find anyone who claimed her & vet didn't recognize her. We think she belonged to an elderly person who died & was abandoned along with her pups (around the same time puppies that looked like her were dumped around town). She's very cuddly & gets along with cats well. She's slightly larger than Fippy & they play together. She likes to sit on the back of the couch if people are on the couch. When I'm on the couch sometimes she will come put her front paws & head on my shoulder/chest and sort of lay over me and nuzzle my face. If no one is there she likes to sit in my spot on one of my sweaters or on a blanket. She loves to nest & will grab pillows, blankets, sheets, clothes, etc and drag them to a pile on the floor and bury herself under things). She likes to bark & chase raccoons.

Last edited:
I have a little bit of everything! Two house cats, one given to me by an older couple that went to the nursing home, he is almost 6yrs old. The other I found outside right before the Texas artic hell crap! He got in one hand, mama and siblings were dead in the woods. Now he is huge and healthy! One outside cat, wants nothing to do with inside, but can now be held after 3years! One old Doberman, has Wobblers and cancer, killing me that it's day by day now! A jack donkey, wandered up 16 years ago, and my neighbor's Jenny, they sold their cows and left her on the place. She is almost 30 yrs old and I ♥️ her. And one husband, found him 30yrs ago, he won't leave💗! That's my family😉😀😊

I've got no pets of my own at the moment. I'm gone so often that it wouldn't be feasible. There's some friendly neighborhood cats that show up in my driveway now and then, just long enough to get petted and maybe get a treat. Strangely, my ex wife's dog loves me and thinks I should pay attention to it and nothing else.

I'm not even convinced I want a pet right now. Maybe when I retire. For now, it would be just one more thing to take care of, and I've got enough on my plate already...

Wife decided she wanted a small dog before our old dog got sick. I'm glad she did, it helped her get thru the loss of our old Golden Retriever. It is a cross between a King Charles cavileir and a small poodle. He was just over 4 lbs when she got him, he's now just over 10. Don't want her out of his sight. I'll be glad when he quits chewing on my fingers. Them teeth are sharp

I miss my sweet Predicate. He disappeared not long before my birthday last year. Down to 15 cats, 2 dogs, and 2 cows. Someone else's dog has been coming around to play with our larger dog (who weighs maybe 20lbs soaking wet). Haven't been able to get a picture bc the dog moves too much.
Predicate was the one on top of the cat tree in this pic.
PredicateRupertGinger1-Nov2017.jpg
Temjin needs to get some lysine in her system because she chews on her fur and scratches herself raw. Even with this neck pillow she can still scratch her neck with her hind feet.
TemjinFeb6-2022_2.jpgTemjinneckpillowcrop.png
It doesn't help that she's been sleeping in the litterbox.

Latest posts

Back