What Preparations do you have for Radiation Protection?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wouldn't the test button on the side of the old 60's decimeters do the trick? IF he had one.

Where does a person buy hot rocks for testing equipment?
They would, but if he had one, he wouldn't have bought the other meter.
He can even use the lantern mantles since his is a low-level meter.
The hot rocks are needed for the high-level meters if you hope to ever get them to come off of zero.

Last edited:
Actually I was asking more for myself. I have both, just not the same one that he has.
The low-level radioactive test source is only on the side of the CDV-700.
If you have one of those, the source can be used to test it, and other low-level meters.

Last edited:
Does it matter what the color of the dot is? I have one that is gold and the other is black. However, they both seem to work fine.
I assume you are talking about the CDV-700...
It is just the tape over a tiny chunk of isotope (typically uranium).
Different companies used different 'nuggets' under the tape.
Some are approaching their 'half-life' by now.
It is not an accurate calibration source, just for function check, and is not 'dangerous'.

Wouldn't the test button on the side of the old 60's decimeters do the trick? IF he had one.

Got any Trijjicon night sights or an old watch with radium-painted hands?

What Preparations do you have for Radiation Protection?​

I recently made the most exciting purchase for nuclear bomb protection at a yard sale. I found and purchased a 1960s elementary school desk. Now to prefect the old duck and cover routine. Very difficult at my age nearing mid 70s. :D:D:D

I recently made the most exciting purchase for nuclear bomb protection at a yard sale. I found and purchased a 1960s elementary school desk. Now to prefect the old duck and cover routine. Very difficult at my age nearing mid 70s. :D:D:D
When I was teaching, we did duck and cover mostly for tornadoes. The real reason for duck and cover was never really talked about with students, at least more recently. I think the whole business of radiation as a threat has been almost dismissed. We were just told that a drill was coming and to practice with students.

More recently drills were done for active shooters, where children were to find the best hiding place they could and to stay as quiet as possible.

Now a little humor. My students were sitting on the floor and one of them leaned sideways and passed gas in a very loud way. Another student yelled, "Duck and cover." Everyone was laughing so hard that some of us were crying, including me.

When I was in college, there were tunnels between a number of buildings so that people could go to several locations without going outside. These tunnels were also civil defense sites, and there were barrels of stuff there. If I remember right, there were a bunch of crackers and maybe some water in the barrels. I think that the supplies have been removed from the civil defense sites now. They would probably be pretty gross now anyway.

Attachments

• wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwshelter.jpg
    wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwshelter.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 0

I just realized that I never answered your question. :(
I got mine from eBay before they clamped down on them.
You had to have them shipped by USPS because UPS and FedEx will not deliver.
I guess some whiner complained when they ordered 'hot rocks', panicked and pee'd in the punch-bowl when they discovered that they actually were radioactive.
76354-151b90dd9136ad1e6bf6ca687dc37b7c.data

Just recieved another big bottle of potassium iodine...Time also to put some of the supplies in one tub so I can find it. I have been rereading some of the kearny book and just tripped over some tyvek suits in storage the other day. We have kids in the house so they will get the preferential treatment for any supplies and locations and or trips outside.
Not expecting world wide nuke war but a terrorist action could rain down on just about any area. Talking to people here in montana they had noticable ash from mt st helens which is quite a ways away as the raven flies.

I just realized that I never answered your question. :(
I got mine from eBay before they clamped down on them.
You had to have them shipped by USPS because UPS and FedEx will not deliver.
I guess some whiner complained when they ordered 'hot rocks', panicked and pee'd in the punch-bowl when they discovered that they actually were radioactive.
76354-151b90dd9136ad1e6bf6ca687dc37b7c.data
Hot rocks:
Spent a lot of time shopping with Bing, (Google is useless :mad:).
The ones available are waaay more expensive than I paid, but there are probably more on the 'dark-web'.
https://www.uraniumstore.com/
Makes me want to take a vacation out west and do some 'surveying' with my survey-meter...
One rock is worth $250?
77358-b72682ffc6bb25404e6ed18920619dd4.data

Maybe one of our members out west will take up the gauntlet.:)
...If I was out there, I damsure would.:thumbs:
Screenshot_20240213-204434_kindlephoto-193482861.png

Last edited:
When I was teaching, we did duck and cover mostly for tornadoes. The real reason for duck and cover was never really talked about with students, at least more recently. I think the whole business of radiation as a threat has been almost dismissed. We were just told that a drill was coming and to practice with students.

More recently drills were done for active shooters, where children were to find the best hiding place they could and to stay as quiet as possible.

Now a little humor. My students were sitting on the floor and one of them leaned sideways and passed gas in a very loud way. Another student yelled, "Duck and cover." Everyone was laughing so hard that some of us were crying, including me.

When I was in college, there were tunnels between a number of buildings so that people could go to several locations without going outside. These tunnels were also civil defense sites, and there were barrels of stuff there. If I remember right, there were a bunch of crackers and maybe some water in the barrels. I think that the supplies have been removed from the civil defense sites now. They would probably be pretty gross now anyway.
You mention duck and cover. I remember reading in mother earth news way long ago duct tape your windows and doors and cover with plastic for a fallout situation

Here is some information on Potassium Iodide. You really should consult with your doctor before taking it.

When is it used?​

Potassium iodide is used during nuclear emergencies. You should take it only when public health officials specifically say to do so.

To protect your thyroid, you must take potassium iodide within a certain time frame. According to the World Health OrganizationTrusted Source, the optimal time frame for maximum benefit is less than 24 hours before an expected exposure and up to 2 hours after the exposure. Taking it more than 24 hours after the exposure will not protect your thyroid.

People over age 40Trusted Source have a low risk of developing radiation-induced thyroid cancer, so they may need a smaller dose than younger people or may not need to take potassium iodide at all.

The risk is higher in children and infants. As a result, children and infants will likely need to take potassium iodide. It’s safe for these age groups when taken at the proper dose.

In an emergency, public health officials will determine which age groups should take the medication.

Here is some information on Potassium Iodide. You really should consult with your doctor before taking it.

When is it used?​

Potassium iodide is used during nuclear emergencies. You should take it only when public health officials specifically say to do so.

To protect your thyroid, you must take potassium iodide within a certain time frame. According to the World Health OrganizationTrusted Source, the optimal time frame for maximum benefit is less than 24 hours before an expected exposure and up to 2 hours after the exposure. Taking it more than 24 hours after the exposure will not protect your thyroid.

People over age 40Trusted Source have a low risk of developing radiation-induced thyroid cancer, so they may need a smaller dose than younger people or may not need to take potassium iodide at all.

The risk is higher in children and infants. As a result, children and infants will likely need to take potassium iodide. It’s safe for these age groups when taken at the proper dose.

In an emergency, public health officials will determine which age groups should take the medication.
The thing about potassium iodide is that older people are not supposed to take it.

https://www.cdc.gov/nceh/radiation/...odide (KI) is a,being absorbed by the thyroid.

Once again this free book has info. For babies on up.
ttps://ia800602.us.archive.org/12/items/NuclearWarSurvivalSkills_930/NuclearWarSurvivalSkills-CressonHKearney.pdf
My wife grew up next door to Hanford nuke plant along the columbia river in washington state. In the 50's it was a glowing sort of place.
Her whole family has thyroid issues.

I remember reading in mother earth news way long ago duct tape your windows and doors and cover with plastic for a fallout situation
The US government had a chemical munitions storage facility in Umatilla, Oregon.
60 minutes did a story about it and they spoke with the County Sheriff about his plans if there was a leak.
He showed the emergency supplies he received from the Feds.
It was a roll of plastic and duct tape stored in a box in the closet.
He wasn't very impressed with that and said anyone down wind would probably have just a few minutes to escape or they would die.
The chemical gas has all been burnt up is a special incinerator years ago.
You can still see the bunkers it was stored in from the freeway.

Once again this free book has info. For babies on up.
ttps://ia800602.us.archive.org/12/items/NuclearWarSurvivalSkills_930/NuclearWarSurvivalSkills-CressonHKearney.pdf
My wife grew up next door to Hanford nuke plant along the columbia river in washington state. In the 50's it was a glowing sort of place.
Her whole family has thyroid issues.
The Hanford site is one of the worst. Much worse than Y12 is in Oakridge and its bad enough

Hot rocks:
Spent a lot of time shopping with Bing, (Google is useless :mad:).
The ones available are waaay more expensive than I paid, but there are probably more on the 'dark-web'.
https://www.uraniumstore.com/
Makes me want to take a vacation out west and do some 'surveying' with my survey-meter...
One rock is worth $250?
77358-b72682ffc6bb25404e6ed18920619dd4.data

Maybe one of our members out west will take up the gauntlet.:)
...If I was out there, I damsure would.:thumbs:
View attachment 124483

83,000 counts per minute… that’s a very hot sample!!

83,000 counts per minute… that’s a very hot sample!!
For a $400 1.5lb rock, it had better light up your world! :waiting:

Last edited:
You could always come on out to my area and take a few treatments...
https://radonmine.com/
My grandfather used to take treatments at the mines and then stay at a old time hot springs hotel in the area,,,,,,,,he lived a active life till he passed at 96.
I will dig out everything I have that measures radiation and see if I can find some rocks.....sounds like there might be a market for them.
Altho we have had visitors to our tours who mentioned setting off alarms at airports with some special rocks......

You could always come on out to my area and take a few treatments...
https://radonmine.com/
My grandfather used to take treatments at the mines and then stay at a old time hot springs hotel in the area,,,,,,,,he lived a active life till he passed at 96.
I will dig out everything I have that measures radiation and see if I can find some rocks.....sounds like there might be a market for them.
Altho we have had visitors to our tours who mentioned setting off alarms at airports with some special rocks......
I thought radon gas was a dangerous health risk, and I remember everybody going nuts about it decades ago and putting radon gas detectors in all their homes?:dunno: (or maybe it was just the 'panic-scam' of the day:rolleyes:)
Screenshot_20240214-230909_kindlephoto-266742955.png

...Now get out there and find us some hot rocks!!! :waiting: :D

Last edited:
The only preps I have for radiation protection are a couple of tubes of the SPF40 stuff from Costco.

There are several things that I have not made any preparations for. Either because the chances of running into them are extremely low, or because there is not much I can do to significantly improve the outcome if I do run into them. Radiation exposure falls into the second category for me.

There are several things that I have not made any preparations for. Either because the chances of running into them are extremely low, or because there is not much I can do to significantly improve the outcome if I do run into them. Radiation exposure falls into the second category for me.
Well if 'knowing' to simply stay indoors for 2 weeks would make the difference between life and death, wouldn't "knowing" be worth it?

Last edited:
Well if 'knowing' to simply stay indoors for 2 weeks would make the difference between life and death, wouldn't "knowing" be worth it?
Yes, distance, shielding and time are your friends. I don't know that having that information in your brain would be called prepping. Most people know these principles. Or I should say - I hope most people know these principles.

In order to stay inside for any length of time, you do need to be prepped with food and water inside. So I guess this knowledge does require some amount of prepping. But having the necessities for life - food, water, etc. - are basic prepping for anything, not specifically for radiation. You could be prepped with Geiger counters, dosimeters, special suits, etc. and that's what I was talking about in my "not being prepped". I don't have any of those things.

I would just stay inside as long as possible. When it comes to having to go outside to secure something that I need for continued survival, well, I just have to go outside no matter what a Geiger counter says. I'm dead if I don't. So I'd cover my body as totally as possible with what I had, stay outside for the briefest period I could manage (which means pre-planning my outdoor excursion and route as much as possible), and discard the coverings I wore as I come back inside. And I'd wear one of my leftover Covid masks too, to filter out as many particulates as I could that may be hosts to radioactive hitchhikers. Then I'd hope for the best.

None of the above requires any prepping that is specific for radiation. A Geiger counter would have told me when it was safe-ish to go out so I could have maybe gone out sooner. But since my plan is to stay inside as long as I possibly can, a Geiger counter would not really give me any actionable information. So I don't plan on buying a Geiger counter. One would certainly be handy if I already had it, but I can't see purchasing one now.

Here is some information on Potassium Iodide.

Yeah depend on the public health officials for advice like we did during Covid. I can already hear the changing narratives. Most doctors depend on the CDC for info. The CDC is political so I don't trust them to give out unbiased scientific medical advice.

If one is exposed to radiation, while treatment with potassium iodine may prevent thyroid cancer, it is a must that the effected area be evacuated for 20,000 years. Anyone entering the area any sooner, must be properly suited, trained, and observe all the decontaminating procedures on leaving the contaminated area. This occurs at Hanford on a daily basis.

When I read about preppers with bomb shelters and all the supplies that might last a year, maybe two, I wonder what they plan to do after that? They won't be able to go outside for 20K years.

Maybe a self sustaining underground city is in the future like seen in The City of Ember. Appealing as it is, I will pass on it.

The thing is, there is no accurate info available how powerful the current nuke bombs are. Even a very small one can destroy a large area. I think all governments will avoid such a war because what use is a country that can't be used for 20k years? Besides I think all the world would be effected and so human and animal life would be doomed. Even a surviving dung beetle would soon die because there would be no dung.

Latest posts

Back