What "RUGGED COUNTRY" ATV trailer "hitch" system..??

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sourdough

"Eleutheromaniac"
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
In a cabin, on a mountain, in "Wilderness" Alaska.
What type hitch "system" for ATV used in very rugged country terrain..??

The OEM brackets most ATV manufacturers make (that mostly bolt onto the back diff) don't leave much option other than the conventional ball.

Most offroad articulating hitches are quite a lot bigger than optimal for an ATV and appropriate sized trailer.

But you are right to ask the question because a lot of ATV rollovers are the result of a trailer (connected with a ball and socket hitch) going over first.

I would figure that a pintle hitch system would be the most rugged as this system was used on military jeeps.
All my trucks are set-up that way. I have a Duce & Half that has a monster pintle hitch receiver.

I've seen one that uses 2 U-shaped pieces, clocked 90° to each other. A solid rectangular piece goes in the middle, and locks the U's together with bolts. One of the U's has another bolt thru the "bottom" so it can rotate around an axis that's parallel to the receiver tube or trailer tongue.

Imagine a front axle shaft with the U-joint. One shaft is fixed to the trailer, another to the receiver.

I have seen some hitches that combine a pintle and a ball hitch into one unit, but I simply have a bunch of each laying around. And for ball hitches, ones with various ball sizes. It can get ridiculous but my place came with a full assortment. For ATV/side by side off road use, the pintles are way more handy.

I have seen some hitches that combine a pintle and a ball hitch into one unit, but I simply have a bunch of each laying around. And for ball hitches, ones with various ball sizes. It can get ridiculous but my place came with a full assortment. For ATV/side by side off road use, the pintles are way more handy.
I am going with the (2) two part pintle assembly, the pintle hitch and the adapting plate for the 2" Receiver. I have learned I will need a 6" or 6-1/2" "SHANK" (this allows three height settings) because the ATV has a short 2"x2" factory installed receiver.

https://www.amazon.com/Adjustable-P...2950c9&ref_=pd_gw_ci_mcx_mr_hp_atf_m

https://www.amazon.com/Pintle-Hitch...5bd31c&ref_=pd_gw_ci_mcx_mr_hp_atf_m

there are also ball hitches that are built to swivel at the trailer end, like this one, allows for just an ordinary ball and common parts, also allows most any thing to pull the trailer, I have a forwarding trailer similar to this and have been very pleased with the hitches performance, and I pull it with tractors that exert far more torque at low speed than an atv
1682555978119.png

I try and use pintle on my snogos. Wish I could have them on the atvs. And I put a pintle hitch on the back of the trailer also as I tend to get stuck once in a while

Actually... Knock on wood... I have always had good luck with a standard 2" ball hitch on any of my trailers.. Be they highway capable, farm only, or highway/bush use... I put many kilometers on a utility type trailer hauling wood, hay and all pulled with the truck, UTV or tractor..

Also..... It is a good idea to have a rescue anchor, pulling point on all 4 corners of a trailer that will be in the bush... In case you can't get a directly in front or in back hook up... Don't ask me how I know about this.... blush....

I would figure that a pintle hitch system would be the most rugged as this system was used on military jeeps.

That was my first thought as well.

Back