What Shortages are You Seeing?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Batteries, Car Batteries that is, I had a heck of a time finding inexpensive deep cycle batteries for my battery bank. Then on Sunday the pick-up truck battery was very weak, 7 year old walmart brand, but all of the stores within 40 miles are out of stock... :( Checked a couple of car parts stores close to here, they have them for $220. That's $150 more than the last one..... Not happy

I put a slow charge on it last night and will try to baby it until WM gets their act together....

Batteries, Car Batteries that is, I had a heck of a time finding inexpensive deep cycle batteries for my battery bank. Then on Sunday the pick-up truck battery was very weak, 7 year old walmart brand, but all of the stores within 40 miles are out of stock... :( Checked a couple of car parts stores close to here, they have them for $220. That's $150 more than the last one..... Not happy

I put a slow charge on it last night and will try to baby it until WM gets their act together....
Mechanic told me not to get mart batteries that I was better off getting from a parts store. He explained the difference at the time which I now can't remember, but I haven't bought a mart bat. since. That said, just had a dud Les Schwab battery that was about a year old (they did replace it for free though.)

Mechanic told me not to get mart batteries that I was better off getting from a parts store. He explained the difference at the time which I now can't remember, but I haven't bought a mart bat. since. That said, just had a dud Les Schwab battery that was about a year old (they did replace it for free though.)
The battery that is in there came from W_M and it is 7 years old, that is about as good as it gets for car batteries, I can't see paying double for the same life... The truck is only 21 years old and I don't expect it to need many more...

The battery that is in there came from W_M and it is 7 years old, that is about as good as it gets for car batteries, I can't see paying double for the same life... The truck is only 21 years old and I don't expect it to need many more...
It's a baby!!

I went to two different farm stores today. Pet supplies - 80% of flea/tick/worm medicines were gone. The only items left on the shelves were knock off/no name brands. The cheap stuff that never really works.

Also, they were out of ivermectin for cattle and horses. I must have gotten the last 1L box when I was there 2 weeks ago.

Favorite solar charged battery is a Millertech. Super light and husband can run his bipap machine for 3 nights on it without switching out a battery.
I was surprised at Tractor today, went to get Game bird starter. Husband ordered 25 french guineas and they're hatching tomorrow, arriving Friday I think. I used to be able to get 50 lb bags. Had to buy 4 each of 10 lb bags, $1 a lb. Highway robbery. No game bird base for the olders, either.

I went to two different farm stores today. Pet supplies - 80% of flea/tick/worm medicines were gone. The only items left on the shelves were knock off/no name brands. The cheap stuff that never really works.

Also, they were out of ivermectin for cattle and horses. I must have gotten the last 1L box when I was there 2 weeks ago.
Yup, I ran into the same problem. I bought some Ivermectin paste that came in a package of 12 back in December 2020 online and paid $42 for it. That same package is going for over $180 online now by third party vendors only. The original vendors are all out of stock. They can give the stuff out like candy in Africa and here you can't even buy the horse dewormer.:rolleyes: The whole thing is so stupid! There's no way I can find the liquid ivermectin that I use for the dogs, so I'll have to use the tubes or find something else. There's lots of comments that say the paste works fine on dogs too, just adjust the dosage. I feel sorry for the horses and cows. I guess they'll have to go to Africa if they want their ivermectin.

My old shepperd "Joe" is in poor shape. Since the first week of august that boy had 8 head of livestock die. He only buried 3 of them. Of course my dogs would come home stinking like a rotted carcass. Joe got a bad case of worms from dead wormy cows.

I wanted the ivermectin for dogs but no store had it today. A few weeks ago I was going to worm several of that boy's cows and bought Ivermec. I only needed a small bottle then. I bought the only Ivermec the store had which was a 1L bottle, enough for 40 head of cattle.

Ivermec will work on Joe but I wanted to try one more thing tonight. If he doesn't improve by Thursday morning he'll get ivermec. I know it works.

Sort of glad I bought the 1L bottle now since it has disappeared from store shelves. At the time the store clerk said they were out of the small bottle. I didn't read anymore into it... I had no idea they couldn't get anymore.

Ivomec 01  1 a .JPG

Last edited:
Pretty soon micky Ds will be cheaper than cooking at home.
65% ground twice recycled cardboard and 25% Mystery meat, 10% "God only knows what".

I went to a WM that was kinda out in the sticks b/c I had to go pick up something for work in that town. Without summer vacationers, there's not a ton of activity there. I usually don't like going there, but I was pleasantly surprised today. There was NO line at the deli and No line at the checkout. Woohoo! There were some bare spots here and there, but for the most part this was the best stocked and cleanest WM I've seen in a long time. They even had the 5cu freezers in stock.:oops: I might have to go back this weekend and pick one up for a gift b/c I coudln't find any at HD in another town. They had Prestone RV antifreeze on clearance for $2.80 per gallon. I didn't think that was much of a deal until I started looking around at the no name stuff that was much higher than that. I used to be able to get the no brand stuff for $2.50 all the time.....but, that was prior to the FJB chants. Now, I'm seeing some of it listed at around $4-6 per gallon!

As I walked in the store I saw one dude going thru the self checkout with 3 big bags of cat food and about 3 or 4 flats of canned cat food. I thought that was weird. I went to the pet section and it was stocked, but there wasn't tons of it. I thought, he might want to get some tuna instead so if SHTF, he might enjoy his dinner with the cats a bit more.😁😾

I got pretty much everything (and then some) that I went in there for. The soup isle has taken quite a hit though. I was going to get another case of cream of onion soup for casseroles, but they didn't have any.....no campbells or store brand. That's OK, I still have lots but I do make a lot of dishes using cream soups this time of year. They did however have lots and lots of cream of mushroom and cream of chicken. They had lots of T-Day stuff from stuffing to broth, to baking goods, to snacks, etc. They even had a bunch of turkeys in the freezer at (I think it was) around .80 per pound. And get this.....they had Keystone pork, beef, and chicken! I bought some, but I didn't clear the shelves. They also had lard for $9.46 for a 4# tub, so I nabbed some of that too.

I even found funyons! They still don't have the regular sized bags, but they did have the snack bags of 10 in a bag......which is even better for me since I don't like opening those big bags anyways......b/c I'll just eat them all. I bought a couple of those, so I should be good to go for a long time. Except now, I know I have them. Ack!

I grabbed a comforter for a gift and that section is limited. I grabbed the last one of the size I wanted in the color I wanted, but there were other options there. They just weren't stacked deep and some selections were gone, depending upon which size you were looking for.

I also walked by an endcap full of Q-tips and I thought of you LadyL. I didn't get any b/c I got a super hot deal on some of them during a closeout a while back so I think I have like 4,000 of them. That should do it for a while.

The stars just seemed to line up at WalMart when I was there.......how often can a person say that??

Gas
An entire county (at least) out of gas.
I keep thinking if we had a real media, it would be news. But I haven't heard peep about it.

On Monday I drove a couple counties over to our "farm" property (a generous term). Stopped in the county seat to get gas, and thought it odd that there were lines. Found out later the lines were because the outlying communities were all out of gas already. By Tuesday the county seat was out, too. I'm still kinda dropping my jaw about it. Still no gas on Wednesday. Neighboring rural county also seems to be out of gas, at least in the northern part of the county. Major thoroughfare runs through there - at least the semis can still get diesel.

Keep those tanks full, people. I'm so thankful I filled up when I did, or I'd be in a world of hurt right now. Disconcerting for the future, to say the least.

Also - wood stoves
Three weeks ago I took a picture of a stove at Tractor Supply that would work for the house we're building. Two weeks ago I saw that someone had bought it. Last week I confirmed with the sales person that we could still order the stove. Today I went in to order it, and it's not even a listing anymore - doesn't exist.

So I'm researching stoves. There are still some available for big bucks. But a reasonable stove under $1500 is hard to find. Most places just have "out of stock" on all their listings, regardless of price.

Wood stove are seasonal, of course, but this is the worse I've seen it.

Woke up this morning and the hubs did a quick search - two more items are back on the website, and the stove we wanted was one of them. So we snapped it up. I'll believe it when it's actually delivered. It's not like it's a special stove or anything, just that it will meet our needs at a price we can handle.

This needing to search to find goods, to stay on top of fluctuating availability - it takes away so much energy that could be more productive elsewhere.

Now, now, let's not give in to all this conspiracist fear mongering. If there really are any shortages, they're just temporary. Take this nice blue pill and it will all be better.

I just keep stocking up on canned and boxed foods since so many are on sale right now. It will be interesting to see how the grocery stores look in January.

Noticed this morning at the grocery store the canned veggies were all moved forward and it was empty behind them.
I got the last peas, last cubed potatoes and the green beans were lined up in a longer line than usual to make them look like there was more than there was.

But you can find all the junk foods you want. Chips, sodas, commercial boxed snack cakes, etc. They're packed full all the way back the shelf.

Meat cases were stocked full. Lots of hams and turkeys right now. Didn't bother to look at prices since we're not eating any.
Did notice that the dried chipped beef was gone and they moved the premade cream chipped beef into the slots so there wasn't any empty slots. I have never figured out why you buy premade creamed chipped beef when its so easy to make and get you get probably 3 or 4 times as much instead of the envelopes. weird.

@MoBookworm1957 I've had thought many times here in the south... you name it, somebody has tried to fry it.

Saw something scary today. In town there's a TSC and a co-op, farmers shop at both. We have another option, it's the place I'd go if I wanted 50 or 100 tons of fertilizer. They have a small warehouse.

Today there were no empty pallets but most had just a few bags of this or that left. That warehouse is normally filled to the point there is no floor space left. No so today... worrisome.

But, they had salt and mineral blocks. The other places were out Wednesday. Sort of funny, at this store you order mineral/salt blocks by color, white is just salt, red is mineral. So when I told the guy at the counter I wanted "100 white and 100 red" ( meaning pounds). He yells at the guy in the back "2 white and 2 red for Peanut". (2 50# blocks of salt, 2 50# mineral blocks.

I ordered by the pound is because they have it in blocks and by the bag. When asked I said "block is fine".

They use a long list of short abbreviated names that are known locally. Someone from out of town would have no idea what the counter guys and warehouse guys are saying to each other. Even worse are the row of chairs for old guys who come and hang out. I barely know what they are talking about and I was born here.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back