What Shortages are You Seeing?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a dozen or so. But need to get at least that many more. I use them for grape arbors, trellis for the garden and beds. Useful for many different things
You might look at "high five" panels. Instead of the graduated openings, they are uniform. Also they are 20' long - so cost a little more, but no more per foot.
@Peanut Glad to see you know which side goes up. You would be surprised at how many panels I see upside down around here :rolleyes: They are "the thing" as far as fencing within the past couple years. Townspeople are getting them to look "industrial" so vogue you know 😂

You might look at "high five" panels. Instead of the graduated openings, they are uniform. Also they are 20' long - so cost a little more, but no more per foot.
@Peanut Glad to see you know which side goes up. You would be surprised at how many panels I see upside down around here :rolleyes: They are "the thing" as far as fencing within the past couple years. Townspeople are getting them to look "industrial" so vogue you know 😂

Panels of any type seem scarce at the moment but my real problem is getting them home. Don't have a big trailer anymore, just an 8ft. I have to get creative.

Town folk! They almost always set out some fruit trees, good thing. But they never prune them, bad thing.

Then they complain at wm or the farm store about never getting fruit from their 25ft tall tree, or the birds eat them, or the bugs. I heard it all the time when I sold peaches at the farmers market. Used to annoy me to no end.

Prune them correctly and it's far easier to control insects, animals and disease. They never want to hear that despite the fact they'd ask me. Instead they'd want me to explain the special "bug vacuum" they saw on late night tv... Or the website with "magic bird repelling purple socks"? :rolleyes:

I guess we can add steel cattle panels to the list. There was one supposed to be on a truck delivered to my local Ag store today. The wholesaler was out. I was told they'll be in next Friday, maybe!

I spent the next 2 hours on the phone, called every Ag store within 50miles. I found one! I should have found dozens. I put a deposit down so they'll hold the one, til I get there.

For those who may not know... there are steel hog panels - 40 inches tall, steel horse panels - 72 inches tall, cattle panels are 50 inches tall. They come in 8ft and 16ft lengths. The height varies a few inches by manufacturer. I've seen cattle panels 48" to 56" in height.

The panels are much heavier than rolled fencing giving much better animal control. Here are some old ones still in use...

View attachment 76161
How much are those hog panels running for now? We have hog, cattle and horse panels. Husband been taking them to fix fence with. Most were intact to use on dog pen. Short/cut in half to support berries and 1/4 length to put cages around my fruit trees. I don’t have many left to start over with. Probably cost twice what I use to pay 10 years ago.

Panels of any type seem scarce at the moment but my real problem is getting them home. Don't have a big trailer anymore, just an 8ft. I have to get creative.

Town folk! They almost always set out some fruit trees, good thing. But they never prune them, bad thing.

Then they complain at wm or the farm store about never getting fruit from their 25ft tall tree, or the birds eat them, or the bugs. I heard it all the time when I sold peaches at the farmers market. Used to annoy me to no end.

Prune them correctly and it's far easier to control insects, animals and disease. They never want to hear that despite the fact they'd ask me. Instead they'd want me to explain the special "bug vacuum" they saw on late night tv... Or the website with "magic bird repelling purple socks"? :rolleyes:
Not laughing that you had to endure that but at their silliness.

How much are those hog panels running for now?

The cow panel I want is $27.50. 50"x16ft. I didn't ask about the others but there wouldn't be a lot of difference in them. This isn't at TSC, but at a regular ag store.

Not laughing that you had to endure that but at their silliness.
You wouldn't believe some of the things I've been asked, just make me want to shake my head and walk away. I always tried to be nice though...

Tha
The cow panel I want is $27.50. 50"x16ft. I didn't ask about the others but there wouldn't be a lot of difference in them. This isn't at TSC, but at a regular ag store.

You wouldn't believe some of the things I've been asked, just make me want to shake my head and walk away. I always tried to be nice though...
Thats not a bad price. I need to check in to getting some more

Taking amish cousin and her hubby with us to Sams tomorrow. I haven't been in many months, so it'll be interesting. I know she's looking for the huge mayo and the huge skippy peanut butter. Curious about the meat prices. 45 minutes away, so we'll bring ice chests.
I do a portion of my primary shopping at Sam's.i decided to check out the steak section at least 3 months ago. It's next to impossible to find one or two good steak under $34 now a day's.i use a vacuum sealer now.so I'll stock up on steak when I can.in which those steak's last a month or longer.

I'm not sure what this actually means....'land borders', such as? Is that to mean state lines? I don't know how Biden can require that and I'm not sure truckers will actually listen to that turd.......But, if they do, there's going to be shortages on pretty much everything. No more goods for brick and mortor stores OR internet orders. Yup, that sounds like something he would love to see happen. Clearly he doesn't have that power, but it does show what the left is aiming for. Stock up folks.....while the gettin' is good.
View attachment 75962

He's talking about legal Port of Entries. Where people are SUPPOSED to cross our border from Canada and Mexico.

Feds control the CDL so get your jab or no trucking for you north or south of the borders... interesting though how they can hope to dictate for say Mexican and Canadian drivers coming into the US with loads... but guess same way Europe is saying no vax card, no visit. force this when drivers are nearly self isolated most of the time in their truck anyway. Yet don't say anything about the 10's of thousands streaming across the border with no jab

There are already restrictions on truckers crossing borders. For instance, you can't go into Canada if you have a criminal record. Canada won't let you.

of any type seem scarce at the moment but my real problem is getting them home. Don't have a big trailer anymore, just an 8ft. I have to get creative.

I use my truck to move them. Stand them upright, put one end in the bed and bend in a U shape to get the other end in the bed of the truck. I bought 5 last time and they fit just fine. To get them out I just tied a rope to the middle of all the panels and a tree and drove out from under them.

Had to go to 3 stores to find candy canes this morning. Wmart was the first stop. They usually have that whole isle over in the grocery section that is "seasonal" - nope not this year. Over in the little holiday section - very scanty offerings: some baking goods, a few odds & ends, candles and several empty shelves. I went down the isle that has/had pasta (just to get to the other side) and about half the shelves were empty. It looked like there were the little boxes of pasta but none of the larger bags. I didn't linger there so don't know what else was there or wasn't. Next store is my preference: good basic supply but noticed not many meats (wasn't looking for any, but took notice.) Produce was 'some' but not abundant. Third store was a regular grocery store - found candy canes and left so didn't really notice what they had or didn't have.

Went to a mom N pop out in the boondocks, bought fruitcakes and a ton of canned stuff, no candy canes in sight, and they were out of frozen tater logs.

NO MILK!!! Stopped by Walmart and TWO other stores on the way home today-------NO MILK!! This is important, we drink a gallon a day, not cool!! Gonna have to go into the neighbor's pasture and milk some mama cows😳!
Whoa. No milk would suck. That's one thing we've never run out of here, although the coolers haven't always been full...

It took me 2 weeks to find a steel cow panel. I even held one with my credit card that was sold out from under me. At least the guy called me to say he no longer had the panel so I didn't drive 70 miles for nothing.

There is still the promise of some coming in on a truck next Friday. It wasn't on the truck last friday... who knows when they will actually get some panels in.

So, I found this one today... cost - $39.55, for a $27 panel. No more discounts, full suggested retail on prices. I've noticed before this.

Frankly, I was happy to get this over priced panel. I'm done worrying about this issue. On to other things.

Steel panel 1 A.JPG

Last edited:
It took me 2 weeks to find a steel cow panel. I even held one with my credit card that was sold out from under me. At least the guy called me to say he no longer had the panel so I didn't drive 70 miles for nothing.

There is still the promise of some coming in on a truck next Friday. It wasn't on the truck last friday... who knows when they will actually get some panels in.

So, I found this one today... cost - $39.55, for a $27 panel. No more discounts, full suggested retail on prices. I've noticed before this.

Frankly, I was happy to get this over priced panel.

View attachment 76406
$31.99 at my local tractor supply

EEEWWWhhha!

I drink whole milk, I cook with whole milk, I eat cereal with whole milk.
No 2%, no 1%, no non-fat dry milk and not even homogenized 3%.
I have been told that at my age (71) I should not be able to have milk at all. BS!! I have had milk my whole life and I have no problems consuming as much as I like... other than the calories but I am OK with that.

Frankly, I was happy to get this over priced panel.

View attachment 76406
Thats how I haul them except I turn them 90°.

EEEWWWhhha!

I drink whole milk, I cook with whole milk, I eat cereal with whole milk.
No 2%, no 1%, no non-fat dry milk and not even homogenized 3%.
I have been told that at my age (71) I should not be able to have milk at all. BS!! I have had milk my whole life and I have no problems consuming as much as I like... other than the calories but I am OK with that.

Me too, thats why I bought a cow.

Me too, thats why I bought a cow.

Been thinking about that for a year, had to wait until all the other cattle were gone. I like the idea of my own milk and cheese and I milked a cow everyday as a kid. I ruled out goats... I've never seen a fence that could hold one. The farm to my east was a dairy for decades. Mr. J said more than once that a Holstein is born looking for a place to die. Nope, don't want one of those... As a kid my uncle had a few Jerseys, nice except for the bull that gored him, pass.

How about a thread on milk cows, pictures, breeds. Aren't there a few members with milkers?

Latest posts

Back