What Shortages are You Seeing?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We used to have piles of cattle panels at the farm. It was left over from when Pops finally tore out the feedlot. There were lots of hog panels too. I don't know what happened to most of that. I imagine Pops eventually sold it to a young pup who was trying to keep his own cattle in. I know some of the hog panels went to the scrapyard...

Been thinking about that for a year, had to wait until all the other cattle were gone. I like the idea of my own milk and cheese and I milked a cow everyday as a kid. I ruled out goats... I've never seen a fence that could hold one. The farm to my east was a dairy for decades. Mr. J said more than once that a Holstein is born looking for a place to die. Nope, don't want one of those... As a kid my uncle had a few Jerseys, nice except for the bull that gored him, pass.

How about a thread on milk cows, pictures, breeds. Aren't there a few members with milkers?

The panel you bought also has a horse and goat version. They work just fine for goats as long as you don't skimp on fence posts. Jersey cows are usually docile, the bulls.... not so much. I have Dexters.

The panel you bought also has a horse and goat version. They work just fine for goats as long as you don't skimp on fence posts. Jersey cows are usually docile, the bulls.... not so much. I have Dexters.

They had plenty of horse and hog panels. I have a spot next to one of the bull pen gates where 8ft of hog panel is the perfect solution. Its where calves are first driven when separated from their mama'a. But I have enough projects on my plate that are more important.

They had plenty of horse and hog panels. I have a spot next to one of the bull pen gates where 8ft of hog panel is the perfect solution. Its where calves are first driven when separated from their mama'a. But I have enough projects on my plate that are more important.

I prefer the horse panels because of the extra height and smaller openings.

Industrial supply stores have the following locally:
T.P
Windex.
hand soap {Love that orange citrus gojo!}
rubber gloves.
respirators + filters and masks
disinfectant by the case.
paper shop towels.
Bring teepee for bumhole cuz' you gonna crap yourself when you see how cheap industrial grade is!

THEN you hit the restaurant supply places, you have to ask about the food, but money talks.
Gallon cans of soups and stews for under 5$ dehydrated stuff etc. Know why they got so much?
NOBODY knows to look there!

Industrial supply stores have the following locally:
T.P
Windex.
hand soap {Love that orange citrus gojo!}
rubber gloves.
respirators + filters and masks
disinfectant by the case.
paper shop towels.
Bring teepee for bumhole cuz' you gonna crap yourself when you see how cheap industrial grade is!

THEN you hit the restaurant supply places, you have to ask about the food, but money talks.
Gallon cans of soups and stews for under 5$ dehydrated stuff etc. Know why they got so much?
NOBODY knows to look there!
Awesome info Magus!!

Lookie here... new place to check out:
Your local vending machine supply hub.
Not just chips n cokes, mini cans of soup, medical supplies,
Cigarettes! Personal hygene items, and yes, craploads of
candy you can't just buy at the store! even MILK!

I've found it at Dollar general and Family Dollar.
Ah ha! So it was you - heehee.
Thank you Snap. There is a DG about 20 min. from here. I will have to see if I can get there. We don't have FD's here. It's one of those silly things, but it just goes with Christmas for whatever reason.

I went to Aldi last week and they had a big hole in the TP area. There were no big club packages of TP available.

I was in there for a quick stop since hubs was waiting in the truck, so I didn't really see any other areas that were empty except one of the coolers was empty on one side. I'm thinking that was where the turkeys may have been for Thanksgiving. It's just unusal that they didn't restock it with something though b/c those suckers are expensive to keep cold if nothing is in there.

Oh, I also noticed that the canned vege area was pretty paultry as well.

Walmart today had lots of empty shelves in canned goods and not hardly any pasta, But they did have buckets with lids. Our Aldi today sounds like your Aldi, Angie. Similiar shortages/ And hardly any yogurt. But I got a small prime rib roast for Christmas eve and a Butterball at Walmart. Got a 1,89lb ham at Aldi for whenever.

I went to Canadian tire in Olds to get a welder, (cause the new one was on sale cheaper than the stuff To upgrade my existing ones, ) and the shelves were well stocked, but a major shortage of customers, the staff outnumbered the customers 5 to 1 , this store always has a small lineup at the tils, wednesday evening, I waited for staff to get my welder from the warehouse for about 5 minutes, no one else near the tills ??

You can order it here, but it looks like the price is outrageous. Some of my colleagues took their students there on a field trip. Hammond's Candies | Hand Made in the USA | Tradition Since 1920
That's better than what I found it for but I still prefer the $3-4 for a bag of it. It's not thaaaat important, but it's something that I saw out of stock on.
I went to Canadian tire in Olds to get a welder, (cause the new one was on sale cheaper than the stuff To upgrade my existing ones, ) and the shelves were well stocked, but a major shortage of customers, the staff outnumbered the customers 5 to 1 , this store always has a small lineup at the tils, wednesday evening, I waited for staff to get my welder from the warehouse for about 5 minutes, no one else near the tills ??
That they had people working is amazing (in a good way.) I have noticed the stores aren't really busy here either which is indeed odd for this time of year. I think folks are scared.

Was just at our independent regional food store (WinCo) and didn't see many holes. I didn't have any non-food items on my list so I skipped the TP aisle, etc. Plenty of bulk items, staples, good selection of meat, etc. Only thing lacking was food storage buckets, but those seem to be readily available elsewhere nearby, so who knows what's up with that? Lines did seem a little shorter than usual for right after work on a Friday...

Was just at our independent regional food store (WinCo) and didn't see many holes. I didn't have any non-food items on my list so I skipped the TP aisle, etc. Plenty of bulk items, staples, good selection of meat, etc. Only thing lacking was food storage buckets, but those seem to be readily available elsewhere nearby, so who knows what's up with that? Lines did seem a little shorter than usual for right after work on a Friday...
Things are off balance, no normal!

We used to have piles of cattle panels at the farm. It was left over from when Pops finally tore out the feedlot. There were lots of hog panels too. I don't know what happened to most of that. I imagine Pops eventually sold it to a young pup who was trying to keep his own cattle in. I know some of the hog panels went to the scrapyard...
This what we have used for the last 52 years.
1638588865102.png

View attachment 76542
I keep a pair of those in my kitchen drawer. We refer to them as the kitchen utensil. My mom has and does the same. They are the handiest tool ever. I think I got mine for my 18th Bday before heading off to college. When I got to college, I put them in the kitchen drawer where they belong. My roommate saw them and asked "What is this and does it belong in here?" I had to explain. You can lay them atop of a recipe book to hold it open, pull nails our of walls, break the seal on a tough lid - the ultimate tool I tell ya! 😁

Last edited:
I never bought a hog/cattle panel, but I use this for pastures & the keep my tomato plants from wondering out into road.

1638589318014.png

Was at Wm tonight... Meats - steaks through chicken/pork down past the bacon was fully stocked. Cold cuts/hotdogs were looking sparse. The cooler was pretty much empty from there down to cheeses which was stocked. What goes there? Potato salads?

The shelves were 90% stocked, except for hardly any bread, but it was just after the Friday "after work grocery rush". I stopped at the little local market also. It was about the same on the shelves. But the meats were stacked high and wide, whoever got all that meat in those coolers was talented. Tomorrow is their big sale day for meats.

I keep a pair of those in my kitchen drawer. We refer to them as the kitchen utensil. My mom has and does the same. They are the handiest tool ever. I think I got mine for my 18th Bday before heading off to college. When I got to college, I put them in the kitchen drawer where they belong. My roommate saw them and asked "What is this and does it belong in here?" I had to explain. You can lay them atop of a recipe book to hole it open, pull nails our of walls, break the seal on a tough lid - the ultimate tool I tell ya! 😁
I bought my daughter a pink tool bag full of pink tools & added a few other tools, with the hot light volt tester for college & she used it to everyone amazement.
Never stand when you can sit, never sit when you can lay, never do it the hard way, if the easy way works. :cool: :clapping:
1638589897262.png

View attachment 76542
I am more familiar with those than I like to admit. But for barb wire and electric fences, linesman's pliers or plain old 8" slip joint do the trick and their easier to carry. Fence pliers are handiest when your fence has lots of staples. In my area we generally only use wood posts on the corners where it has to be super strong, because steel lasts a lot longer in our soil. So we don't have too many staples...

Latest posts

Back