What Shortages are You Seeing?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We had a fish fry a few weeks ago. Onion rings are cheap easy to make if you have the hot oil ready to go. We use peanut oil. Get some drakes mix and mix it with beer. Get it nice and thick so it sticks to the onion and dip it in the 350 degree oil until lightly browned (takes just a few minutes) and salt. You will have onion rings that taste like they came right from your favorite tavern.

Certainly you can do this indoors, but we find it much easier, safer, and cleaner to do it outside on a propane stove. It works great with mushrooms too. If you are just doing onions and mushrooms, you can strain the oil and reuse it later. If SHTF, that would be a must. If it's too dirty or cooked to re-use, you can pour it over the fire, which is what we do when we cook fish in it.

Here in coastal Georgia, I haven't noticed any shortages at any of the area stores I go to (walmart, krogers, publix, food lion, piggly wiggly, ingles); all food isles are fully stocked.
From watching certain youtube prepping channels, you'd think we'd be fighting over the last loaf of bread by now.

I am finding that I have to go between multiple stores to get everything on my list, I can usually get everything but I have to hit 3 or 4 stores 10 miles apart to have it work... One may be out of produce, onions and chickens, the next may have the produce and chicken but be out of some of the canned foods I want; I just make a list on my shopping days and map out the stores that I can hit in a loop...

Some of the stuff that seems hardest to get are totally bazaar, I wanted some 12 volt deep cycle batteries, no one has any in stock.....

I am so thankful that now our grocery lists are so much shorter than they were when we were filling our inventory holes.... Now days, it is 1 can of this or a loaf of bread type shopping, but it is still hard to find the simple basics like potatoes, onions, and carrots what's with that?

Last edited:
Sams was an eye opener today. Meat prices were crazy. Of course good steaks were $13 a lb, and filets were $25 lb. Chicken wasn't bad at just under a buck a pound, limit 2. Got some Tri Tips for $7 a lb (used to be $4), and stew meat for $6 a lb. My cousin rolled her eyes, and said they were getting ready to butcher another cow, so oh well. Said she'd bring us hamburger soon. They were out of lots and lots of stuff, with limits on lots of stuff and many empty shelves. What they did have was way more expensive than it used to be. Not used to a $700 shopping cart. No deals to be found. Won't be going back there for awhile.

shortages almost seem planned, Costco had no coffee filters for 2 months, but the local village store has filters for about the same price. actually our little store has had pretty much full stock for the whole event, although when the toilet paper freak out happened early in the scamdemic, the store owner limited purchases to local people, because people from the city were buying up all they could because they bought into the panic caused by the media.

Everything went toWalmart yesterday No chicken, and we have 5 chicken plants in our area, lots of that High priced beef though
Where can I get some of those seeds? I'd like to grow my own chicken plants 🐔 😂 I'm sorry, I couldn't resist. I must be getting tired. I had to read that twice for it to make sense to me.

shortages almost seem planned, Costco had no coffee filters for 2 months, but the local village store has filters for about the same price. actually our little store has had pretty much full stock for the whole event, although when the toilet paper freak out happened early in the scamdemic, the store owner limited purchases to local people, because people from the city were buying up all they could because they bought into the panic caused by the media.
We have a reusable coffee filter (actually 2, I have a spare). Have you seen those? Some people don't like to wash them, but it takes all of 2 seconds and I don't have to buy filters.

We have a reusable coffee filter (actually 2, I have a spare). Have you seen those? Some people don't like to wash them, but it takes all of 2 seconds and I don't have to buy filters.

I have a mesh coffee filter and cloth ones. I do keep a small stash of paper ones just in case but mostly we use the cloth with the mesh. I should look into making a coffee sock for our stove top drip pot. Time to think about making cloth tea bags for our medicinal teas.

I have a mesh re usable filter, that I use along with a paper filter, in my pour over one cup cone, the mesh filter alone leaves a sludge behind and in a pinch would work, but I prefer less sludge. so I re use a single paper filter for about 6 cups of coffee and get the best of both worlds. the mesh filter, I just bang out in a stainless steel dollar store bowl , to compost or burn. I also did an experiment with the toe of a sock (clean) to take the place of the paper filter, it worked. I really hate to waste anything.

I have a mesh re usable filter, that I use along with a paper filter, in my pour over one cup cone, the mesh filter alone leaves a sludge behind and in a pinch would work, but I prefer less sludge. so I re use a single paper filter for about 6 cups of coffee and get the best of both worlds. the mesh filter, I just bang out in a stainless steel dollar store bowl , to compost or burn. I also did an experiment with the toe of a sock (clean) to take the place of the paper filter, it worked. I really hate to waste anything.

Try a muslin filter in place of the paper. We like ours. I have several of them and they are easy to use. I soak them at the end of the week in a little warm water with baking soda then rinse and air dry.

cool idea, lacks the shock factor of an old sock, :ghostly: reuseable cloth filters do a very good job, It is amazing what we think we need, as opposed to what we really need.

We had a fish fry a few weeks ago. Onion rings are cheap easy to make if you have the hot oil ready to go. We use peanut oil. Get some drakes mix and mix it with beer. Get it nice and thick so it sticks to the onion and dip it in the 350 degree oil until lightly browned (takes just a few minutes) and salt. You will have onion rings that taste like they came right from your favorite tavern.

Certainly you can do this indoors, but we find it much easier, safer, and cleaner to do it outside on a propane stove. It works great with mushrooms too. If you are just doing onions and mushrooms, you can strain the oil and reuse it later. If SHTF, that would be a must. If it's too dirty or cooked to re-use, you can pour it over the fire, which is what we do when we cook fish in it.
You can clean your deep fryer oil, to a degree, by running a batch of French fries, or other potato configuration. I don't remember using it to clean oil after fish but it works on most things.

You can clean your deep fryer oil, to a degree, by running a batch of French fries, or other potato configuration. I don't remember using it to clean oil after fish but it works on most things.
He uses a hotter temp for the fish and also uses Andy's seasoning. The seasoning is like cornmeal and it's almost impossible to get that out of the oil. Also with the high temp, it gets pretty dark. Add to that the fish......

Nah, unless it's a truly SHFT scenario, I won't re-use it for food. Also, I wouldn't use it for fish if things got that bad. I can pan fry fish (with minimal oil) and it tastes great, so I wouldn't waste valuable oil for that. The main reason we use a large amount for a fish fry is b/c we have lots of people to eat and it gets cooked fast. Pan frying takes longer, but we don't cook for a lot of people when we pan fry.

He uses a hotter temp for the fish and also uses Andy's seasoning. The seasoning is like cornmeal and it's almost impossible to get that out of the oil. Also with the high temp, it gets pretty dark. Add to that the fish......

Nah, unless it's a truly SHFT scenario, I won't re-use it for food. Also, I wouldn't use it for fish if things got that bad. I can pan fry fish (with minimal oil) and it tastes great, so I wouldn't waste valuable oil for that. The main reason we use a large amount for a fish fry is b/c we have lots of people to eat and it gets cooked fast. Pan frying takes longer, but we don't cook for a lot of people when we pan fry.
Deep fryer oil has a short lifespan. Once you cook fish or something very spicy that grease is only good for that item. If you have been cooking chicken, for example, then you can fry fish in the same oil but not the other way around. The potato trick is used to extend the life of the oil but once the oil is burned, it is time to replace it.

China is doing its part in trying to fill the food shortages . This includes grinding up rats and selling it to other countries labeled as some type of meat other than rats . Even changing labels as to its country of origin being practiced . I wonder where the fast food chains get their meat in a competitive market to produce the cheaper food than their competitor . --- My group skipped the food chain a couple of months ago and filled our freezers with beef given to us by local ranchers . One of the animals broke it's neck in an automated head catcher and another got it's leg broke , so we collected the animals strung them up from a oak tree limb and butchered them . We were offered a third animal that got trampled to death but our freezers were full .

China is doing its part in trying to fill the food shortages . This includes grinding up rats and selling it to other countries labeled as some type of meat other than rats . Even changing labels as to its country of origin being practiced . I wonder where the fast food chains get their meat in a competitive market to produce the cheaper food than their competitor . --- My group skipped the food chain a couple of months ago and filled our freezers with beef given to us by local ranchers . One of the animals broke it's neck in an automated head catcher and another got it's leg broke , so we collected the animals strung them up from a oak tree limb and butchered them . We were offered a third animal that got trampled to death but our freezers were full .

🤢
:barf:

which is what we do when we cook fish in it.

Just an FYI, you can use ginger to remove the fishy taste and odor from cooking oil, if you want more uses out of it.

Stopped at the store yesterday, and multitudes of items were in very short supply, or just plain not there. Coffee was in very short supply, so I bought another can for stock, didn't need it but I don't want to run out, lol. Milk, eggs, yogurt and some cheeses were virtually non existent..

Do It!!!!!
I was at the Tractor in Hutchinson last week, and they were fully stocked, saw a big pallet of salt tubs, buckets, feed. Now their feed for chickens has gone up a buck or so a bag. I normally get our chicken feed in our little town, but I went because I needed game bird food, and our town doesn't have that. All the cheaper bags of rabbit pellets were good, that's about all I noticed. And I was looking for one of those fly swatters that look like a tennis racket that zaps them but they didn't have it. I want to use it on moths.

Do It!!!!!
I was at the Tractor in Hutchinson last week, and they were fully stocked, saw a big pallet of salt tubs, buckets, feed. Now their feed for chickens has gone up a buck or so a bag. I normally get our chicken feed in our little town, but I went because I needed game bird food, and our town doesn't have that. All the cheaper bags of rabbit pellets were good, that's about all I noticed. And I was looking for one of those fly swatters that look like a tennis racket that zaps them but they didn't have it. I want to use it on moths.

https://www.harborfreight.com/electronic-fly-insect-swatter-62540.html
https://www.sciplus.com/tennis-racket-style-insect-bug-zapper-1733-p
Ben

Back