What Shortages are You Seeing?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This was also true of Thanksgiving foods.

no shortage of Valentines.JPG

Chicken is back in the display case, no thighs, bummer, but the ham is back where it belongs. Dairy is as bad as I've seen it, not an egg in the store, out of my brand of butter and low on all the others, no heavy cream, some cheese but no choices, patchy or empty on everything else dairy. I was able to get a pint of sour cream but that left only 2 on the shelf. I don't go down the pet aisle but the canned cat food, at the end of the aisle, was all but empty. I was able to get my mom's brand and flavour of "almost" ice cream but very little was left. Plenty of thin or bare spots everywhere else.

I’m adding to the stockpile a bit and noticed Walmart was out of all of their brand spaghetti vermicelli, and similar space saving pasta. Our local grocery had 10lb bags of rice on their B1G1 sale a couple weeks ago. Makes you wonder if there’s more people stocking up nowadays. 🤔.

I was raised on raw cows milk, that how I know the cost.
Went from 5 pound & one ounce at birth, to 150 pounds at 20 years old.

I’ve never seen the price of a gallon of milk this high locally, 58% increase since Biden took office. I guess I should be grateful I have it.

View attachment 78584

The only store for 50 miles has milk for $8 per gallon. If i didn't have a milk cow I'd fill my freezer at $1.99 gal.

On Sunday morning I was at W-M as they opened, they had a little bit of everything in stock, the guys we still putting it on the shelves as I was filling my cart. The weather event had delivery drivers out early ahead of the expected storm, we even got some online purchases a couple of day's early....

#2 understanding
[ˌəndərˈstandiNG]

NOUN

1. the ability to understand something; comprehension.
    "foreign visitors with little understanding of English"
    synonyms:
    comprehension · apprehension · grasp · grip · mastery · perception ·
    [more]
ADJECTIVE

1. sympathetically aware of other people's feelings; tolerant and forgiving.
    "people expect their doctor to be understanding"

synonyms:
    compassionate · sympathetic · sensitive · considerate · tender · kind ·
    [more]
  2. archaic
    having insight or good judgment.
    synonyms:
    discerning · shrewd · perceptive · astute · penetrating · observant ·
    [more]

Windows, shingles and linoleum for room addition. Tarp is serving as a roof for winter and window openings are boarded up. We were given a ship date when ordering each and they have all changed to a pending status. We were expecting a delay and did get a Larson storm door right away. Having solid wood door made by a friend. Shingles are special order to match the house roof, but had hoped there were a few bundles in a warehouse somewhere already. Wondering if windows and linoleum require foreign materials. Ordered an upholstered chair a month ago (TN manuf) and they said at least 6 months to ship. Not a big difference in supply at Giant Eagle here on food yet, but the prices certainly haven't gone down. Concerned our young calves visible from the township road have targets on them.

I understand your building issues, @mamo. We’ve made so many changes with our home, changed windows, exterior siding, cabinets and counters, etc. For windows we went with only what we could put in our hands (didn’t trust ordering) - got them from Menards and had to make several hundred mile road trips to get enough of the right ones. In the end, while it may not be what we originally planned, it’s still beautiful. We just had to learn to adjust on the fly, as the situation/supply chain/cost keeps changing.

Wishing you well in your endeavor. And I sure do hope your calves stay safe!

Today I noticed our Dollar General was about out of everything except junk food. The shelves had 15-25% of the space being used the rest was bare! We went in for a quart of brake fluid nope got lucky and found a couple small cans under the shelf unit! No oil no antifreeze no dog food just no on most of the items they normally carry.

Latest posts

Back