What Shortages are You Seeing?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Diet Lipton tea at Walmart always seems out of stock past 2-3 months.
I know its not real earthshaking but I like them : )

Yep, that's it. We have a Harbor Freight in the bigger town, I'll see. Thanks! The invasion of army worms we have had start with a moth. Also the white "butterfly" that lay eggs that hatch into slimy green worms that eat my kale, cabbage, and brussel sprouts.
I'm sure my neighbors will think I'm nuts if they see me waving it around. When we first moved here last year, I think they'd just stop in to see what weird thing I was doing.

Went to Sam’s Club 40 minutes before they closed and they were out of paper towels and toilet paper. Everything else looked pretty good.

9849C828-683C-4C7A-8C46-06D30298DCF8.jpeg
CD2FF22B-3FC3-4788-9F0C-7031A871E9E8.jpeg

Went to Sam’s Club 40 minutes before they closed and they were out of paper towels and toilet paper. Everything else looked pretty good.

View attachment 72928View attachment 72929
Great. Back to that again. Oh well, I've got about a years worth left. I've only bought one or two packages since last September because I bought too much during the last big whoop de doo about toilet paper. Guess I'll have to replenish my reserves...😂

These are strange times, and the more that I look at it it seems that the shortages are by design, I stopped at wallyworld today, and the mask sign was up but there were a few without and a lot with their nose uncovered, the provincial gov declared a state of emergency a few weeks ago, and as far as I know the restraunts are only letting the vaxxed in. anyway the store had coffee on sale for 1/3 of what everbody else is selling for and they had a huge selection on the shelf. there are prolly lots of other things they didn't have but I found what I went for.

We always have some shortages the day the truck comes in, the great TP shortages seems to be over, until next time. I have been storing up extra extra TP. I did not run out last time, still confused at why TP was more important than food, don't you need food to use TP!??!?? 🙄 😇 :)

Deep fryer oil has a short lifespan. Once you cook fish or something very spicy that grease is only good for that item. If you have been cooking chicken, for example, then you can fry fish in the same oil but not the other way around. The potato trick is used to extend the life of the oil but once the oil is burned, it is time to replace it.

My mother used to save the fish oil for frying squash fritters. It gave them a fantastic taste!

Funyons.......none anywhere.

Hubs had to order brakes and calipers for a very common vehicle and had a hard time finding them at the local parts store. They had to special order them in and were surprised themselves that they didn't have any on hand.
Probable sitting in a cargo container on a ship parked off the coast waiting to be unloaded, China has become a huge supplier of auto parts that were once made here in the U.S.A., I recently replaced the front hub bearings on our 2005 Sienna and when I bought the bearings, the box had large lettering saying Made in China, I asked the salesman how good were they and he said they give good service and he added that Timken Bearings are all made in China now, welcome to the Brave New World, yeah Ross Perot was right when he faced Al Gore and told him, " Ya'll hear that sucking sound? That's American business leaving this country."

No shortages around here in any area at the moment. In fact, the local farm store had shelves overflowing with all sizes of jars AND lids. You can find about anything, if not one store then at another.
But, prices can be scary. At Produce auction this morning, potatoes were 7.50 a peck. Canning tomatos 22/ small box, not a bushel. Most prices seem about double last year’s.. Buyers bought to resell at stands. That ends up being expensive food. Oh, how I regret the garden this year.
There was a lot there, yet there wasn’t. I overheard one farmer bitterly talking about all the stuff in the field that he can’t get anyone to harvest. I think if we don’t have put away by now, it will be costly.

Today, I was pleased to see more chicken and a few carrots in the store for a change. I noticed that there were shortages of some cheese products. One area that I noticed some less than full shelves were in egg noodles, sea food was also hit or miss... Fresh fruit (apples, grapes and berries excluded) has been scarse this year in general.

I could add to the list of items that I see in short supply, but until the common denominator is addressed and fix, all we will do is add to the list.

The common denominator? People willing to put in an honest days work. Every business owner I talk to say they have never seen such a pervasive labor shortage. This impacts production, delivery, sales and services. This is a labor crises in country with high unemployment. Just think about that for a moment.

Zero toiled paper of any brand, 6 packages left of paper towels and no ground beef at Costco yesterday. Also no pork loin but that is hit and miss so not necessarily because of current events.

I totally lucked out. Way back in Feb/Mar 2020, *just before* Covid hit everyone in the consciousness, Amazon had some HUGE sales on toilet paper and paper towels, the cheapest prices I'd seen in years!

So I stocked up, although what I had in mind, was to save money over the long haul.

As it turned out, almost immediately afterwards, the panic buying started and the store shelves went empty.

I was somewhat pleased with myself. The shortage didn't affect me at all.

I still have enough unopened cases to fill half a pickup bed, and that's after I shared lots of it with my brother.

Yesterday at Aldi..no tuna or apple juice. Our local little store has tons of bushels of apples for $17. They are good.

Amazon had some amazing sales on tuna yesterday, which surprised me, since it had been out of stock so often lately with no discounts when they did have it.

I didn't get any. I have several cans and so seldom use any.

Latest posts

Back