What Shortages are You Seeing?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Went to the larger town over the mountain yesterday and stopped at the grocery store there while I was in town.
I only needed to shop the outside walls. Bakery, dairy, packaged lunchmeats, meat counter, deli and produce.
Everything was completely stocked and vendors were there stocking what little was missing.
Self-checkout was busy and had to wait a minute or so for one to open up
I would've taken a look at the other aisles, but I had hubby with me and we had to get over to the other side of town for an appointment

today I hit the grocery store during my lunch hour (first visit in daylight in years).... It was like an active war zone, the only real shortages that I saw was chicken, actually I didn't see any chicken but you get the drift.

They had chicken this week and eggs, not to mention cheese, and cream, so I got restocked. Still no refries, unless you want weird specialty refries and even then not many cans. Lots of empty shelves but less than the last couple of weeks.

Wife stopped by Kroger on the way home, said they were out of everything.
It is not a supply thing, just the thread of snow in South Carolina, good thing too.
Looks like the snow plows will not be able to clear the roads for some days to come, now that the blizzard of two WHOLE inches of snow has falling all over Columbia S.C.
Tell me Caribou, does two inches even qualify as snow?

Wife stopped by Kroger on the way home, said they were out of everything.
It is not a supply thing, just the thread of snow in South Carolina, good thing too.
Looks like the snow plows will not be able to clear the roads for some days to come, now that the blizzard of two WHOLE inches of snow has falling all over Columbia S.C.
Tell me Caribou, does two inches even qualify as snow?
You can't even build a decent snowman with 2". For that matter you can't build an indecent snowman with 2". 😉

It does if they’re not used to it.
we were in North Carolina when they had a similar situation. Oh, no! no! no! You can’t go anywhere! Really? I’m from NY where it really does snow. Hold my coffee. Let’s rock!

Yeah, its not weather related here. Deliveries come and go with drivers that want to work. On topic; not many shortages here food wise. Lots of supply chain issues with parts and such.

I have to put in a on-line delivery order tomorrow so I'll see what they allow me to have.

I've tried to stay within the limits and yet items are still taken out of my cart.
Then when payment is approved for the groceries you've chosen for delivery it's not a done deal
by any stretch.
You hold your breath waiting for the e-mail of removal.....right up until the truck pulls up in front.
The worse thing is that the refund takes 7+ days to land back in my bank.

I flatly refuse to use the boutique butcher again.
They stiffed me the 1 kg of chicken and no explanation.
THat 1 kilo of chicken has cost them the them the hundreds I was going to spend
AND I'm going to tell friends and family that they suck.

I laugh because I read your post as being sarcastic.....but you actually may have a point, as well. This is Washington, the Evergreen State, run by a very green Climate Change loving Governor.
I had a love/hate relationship with Washington, loved fishing in the rivers and saltwater, hiking in the Cascades, a Tahitian restaurant in N.W. Seattle that made the best rum drinks I've ever had. Hated the traffic and social life, I've never lived in an area where girlfriends were so few and far between, actually never. Even though our governor is probably just as bad as yours, living here in southern Oregon is like not even being in a Oregon left wing stronghold, we dislike the Portland area just as much as I disliked Seattle, they're both cesspools of an otherwise beautiful state.

I have to put in a on-line delivery order tomorrow so I'll see what they allow me to have.

I've tried to stay within the limits and yet items are still taken out of my cart.
Then when payment is approved for the groceries you've chosen for delivery it's not a done deal
by any stretch.
You hold your breath waiting for the e-mail of removal.....right up until the truck pulls up in front.

That's the thing many companies forget. Do something right and the customer tells one or two friends. Mess up an order and the customer tells EVERYONE.

by any stretch.

At this point you are telling half the free world, Good Job.

I went shopping at WM this morning at 06:00 and the parking lot was half full (almost like mid-day), there were lots of empty spots in the frozen foods area, pot pies and the like were not to be found..... But I was able to get 2 packages of lean meat and surprised to find a full flat of grapefruit (it was the first time I have seen it there in months, but they are out again). The staff were trying to re-stock but they did not have a lot to work with.

I was only buying small lots (2-4) of the canned goods that we have been using and was at checkout by 06:30. I noticed that all the self serve checkout areas were full and the people had carts piled high, some had 2 carts. Guess the early rush has started...... My only question is who sent out the PANIC Memo?

Last week our fearless leader said there were no shortages and they we get this.

DC Homeland Security & Emergency Management (@DC_HSEMA) Tweeted:
If you're hitting the grocery store to prepare for winter weather, please just buy what you need and leave some for others!

You may have noticed empty shelves in some stores due to national supply chain issues, but there is no need to buy more than you normally would. https://t.co/RcCNNa4Zj4

I buy more than what I need only when sale prices hit rock bottom. I almost never pay regular price on anything except perishable foods.
That's what I do, too. It's been harder to do it with the pandemic and supply chain issues, but it still can be done.

Today I found the cereal aisle to be full, with items on sale. So I stocked up, never taking more than two of any certain variety - but boy did I get some nasty comments! Ever since the stores emptied out when the pandemic first hit, people have gotten mighty comfortable with judging other people's carts. What I bought didn't make a dent in the shelves, and I held back from getting as much as I would have liked - but apparently getting more than one box of cereal isn't acceptable.

That's what I do, too. It's been harder to do it with the pandemic and supply chain issues, but it still can be done.
It was a wild ride for a while, but fortunately, most stuff is becoming more available (except pasta (?), and the Amazon deals are coming back.
I'm getting my pet food, cereal and canned goods cheap again.

but boy did I get some nasty comments!
I almost never get nasty comments. The covered/open carry of a 1911 .45 may have a slight chilling effect.

There are of course other responses "I foster 9 kids, you want them to go hungry?" "buying for the pantry , want to chip in?"

Yeah, the "Kids" are cats, the pantry is mine, but they don't know that :p

Last edited:
Trip to Kroger today. I will preface this to say that it is a small, older Kroger but this was the cracker/cookie aisle. Apparently people want their comfort foods! Couldn’t find any bran flakes as the cereal aisle was picked through. Most everything else looked pretty good.

B4B9FF99-3090-4289-838F-5EEF402BEDB3.jpeg

I hit one of the local Walmarts yesterday and shelves looked pretty good. Not full, not empty so was able to get what I went for. Though I didn't check every aisle or the pet food, which has been something of a problem here for awhile. Mostly cat food has been out for the longest time and more recently dog food has been harder to find and that is for all stores, not just Walmart. Thankfully I have plenty. I will say the feed store has a decent amount of dog & cat food available though, so not sure where they are getting it, but not grocery stores.

I have two grocery orders being delivered this morning.

I received 2 of the dreaded e-mails of removal.

Potatoes, sweet potatoes, frozen veggies, rice, flour, meat and chicken are all short.

Because I mirrored my order at both stores I managed to get most of what I needed.

I'm due for 2 refunds and if last experience is going to be the same as this one it'll take over 7 working days to hit my account.

Latest posts

Back