What Shortages are You Seeing?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hit Walmart, we only wanted a couple things. They had two boxes of 12Ga but at $41 each they could stay. No whipped cream there or at the other two stores.

What's up with the saltines? Glad I have some in the freezer. Other crackers are in stock.
For what it’s worth, the plain goldfish crackers (like saltines/oyster crackers, has blue on the package) work very well with soup. Just in case you find that option fir a good price.

I finally found some Tylenol BUT the children's is still next to impossible to find in store or online.

I finally found some Tylenol BUT the children's is still next to impossible to find in store or online.
With the mild covid the over the counter meds are just gone, I generally keep a couple bottles of cold medicine for me and a bottle or 2 of the diabetic cough medicine for the wife, I just got lucky and picked ours up in late November, went back a few weeks later and the shelves were just empty and they get cleaned out as quick as they restock.....

With the mild covid the over the counter meds are just gone, I generally keep a couple bottles of cold medicine for me and a bottle or 2 of the diabetic cough medicine for the wife, I just got lucky and picked ours up in late November, went back a few weeks later and the shelves were just empty and they get cleaned out as quick as they restock.....

I normally stay on top of the expiration dates in my medicine tote and order when they are 2-3 months before but the Tylenol got away from me because I pulled my back last week and I am still not better. I take the otc meds twice a day and use the heating pad until I go to sleep at night. I actually ran out of Tylenol and have been using Advil and the other junk I have.

I have plenty kids Tylenol but wanted a spare bottle.

Kids dramamine is the other one I have been having issues finding in store or online. We are taking the girls whale watching with the co-op and I don't know if they get sea sick. I do so I got the sea-bands for myself (and a set for each girl) and a couple types of ginger candy.

Went to my local grocery store this morning.

Hardly any fresh packs of chicken parts. And there was a limit to only 3 packs per person
Beef steaks were very low but big cuts like roasts were full (because nobody can afford them I'm thinking)
Store brand hams were no where to be found ( they're on sale for 97 cents a pound this week)
Dairy was full so far
Paper products were full but a limit of 2 per person (sign didn't specify if 2 of each or just 2 of any)
Canned vegetables were slightly better. Some had full shelves, others only had the first line (corn, green beans, carrots)
No frozen onions and the frozen potatoes were hit hard but there were a few bags left
Frozen juice was full so was the frozen breakfast junk foods
Bread aisle was actually fully stocked this time but with the storm coming I'm sure it'll be empty soon
Junk food aisles were fully stocked of course
Produce was fully stocked

I did get a good buy on a 14 pound ham. It was $46 marked down to $32 and I had a $20 coupon so I only paid $12 for it. I can see a lot of ham meals in our future lol

Hardly any fresh packs of chicken parts. And there was a limit to only 3 packs per person
Beef steaks were very low but big cuts like roasts were full (because nobody can afford them I'm thinking)
Store brand hams were no where to be found ( they're on sale for 97 cents a pound this week)
Dairy was full so far
Paper products were full but a limit of 2 per person (sign didn't specify if 2 of each or just 2 of any)
Canned vegetables were slightly better. Some had full shelves, others only had the first line (corn, green beans, carrots)
No frozen onions and the frozen potatoes were hit hard but there were a few bags left
Bread aisle was actually fully stocked this time but with the storm coming I'm sure it'll be empty soon

I did get a good buy on a 14 pound ham. It was $46 marked down to $32 and I had a $20 coupon so I only paid $12 for it. I can see a lot of ham meals in our future lol
Oh, they're killin' us down here. gaah
Boneless Top Sirloin steak, $4.97 per pound.
Pork Chops $1.97 per pound.
Chicken Leg Quarters, 47¢ per pound.
Just how much torture does it take to make a guy fire up the grill?:oops:
This:
IMG_20220131_171518.jpg

Geaux Cajuns!:thumbs:

Oh, they're killin' us down here. gaah
Boneless Top Sirloin steak, $4.97 per pound.
Pork Chops $1.97 per pound.
Chicken Leg Quarters, 47¢ per pound.
Just how much torture does it take to make a guy fire up the grill?:oops:
This:
View attachment 79426
Geaux Cajuns!:thumbs:
Did you mean to post that to the Blast from the Past thread?

Ben

Wow! Hope you stock up!
I may load the grill up, but that is pretty much how it is somewhere around here every week.
If you read the flyer, you see the sale runs for 7 days, not 2.🙂
I hoped @WVDragonlady who talked about them limiting chicken purchases notices...
Down here they MAKE you buy at least 10 pounds at a time to get the low price. :thumbs:
I have to give a tip of the hat to our local stores.
They have been 'battle-tested' with hurricanes and any supplier who turned out to be a "fair-weather-friend"...
Off with their head!!!:waiting:

Last edited:
Whither rotisserie chickens? Those have been among the missing the last few days. Packaged raw chicken - wings, thighs, breasts - are plentiful. But still-assembled chickens...forget it. It struck me as odd because Wegmans has ALWAYS had a large display full of these every day. To see the display empty with a sign mumbling something about a supply shortage is concerning.

Canned cat food is also scarce around here.

Whither rotisserie chickens? Those have been among the missing the last few days. Packaged raw chicken - wings, thighs, breasts - are plentiful. But still-assembled chickens...forget it. It struck me as odd because Wegmans has ALWAYS had a large display full of these every day. To see the display empty with a sign mumbling something about a supply shortage is concerning.

Canned cat food is also scarce around here.
When Wegman’s doesn’t have it, it’s time to be concerned. Love that store!

Yesterday they were out of $1.99lb chicken breast but had a fair amount of the $8.99lb "organic" variety. Same reason but likely weather related. Got a large amount of ground beef though and are good on chicken. There were other options like legs, thighs, and whole chickens. Just didn't need to get more currently.

Well the chicken was 49 cents a lb for 10 lbs bagged and they're quarters, but not the highest quality. I'd buy them anyway. But you'd tell the difference if you bought legs and thighs. They're ok for stewing chicken, but usually the legs are broken, and the thigh part has an extra flap of fat and back bone on it. I bought two bags at our Kroger store recently. So, not the best chicken. But edible.

Dairy was full so far

We got spiral ham at 50% off. Stuck it in the freezer for Easter.

Chicken is hit or miss here. I had not seen any in 3 weeks until last week.. The easy biscuits in the tubes have been non existent for months now. Tyson and other competitors frozen chicken products have been non existent for weeks.

Limits on just about everything grocery either 2 or 4 depending on what it is. Limits on paper towels, plates etc.

I can speak to this a bit since my family has around 800 acres of corn every year.

If it's on Zerohedge, it's probably crap.

Yes, inputs are up. But next years planting is proceeding as usual. Farmers in my area are concerned, but they are farmers and they are always concerned, about everything. Worrying and complaining is like a religion with farmers.

If there is a corn shortage, it will more likely be drought related. But even this year, when we had moderate to severe drought conditions across the heart of Central Iowa, yields were quite good. If the drought were to deepen, I don't know how much longer the good yields would last. But modern hybrids are amazingly drought tolerant.

Once again, I would strongly recommend that anyone seriously reconsider getting any agriculture related information from Zerohedge or other similar sources. Check out Successful Farming type sources for good info.

Today I was at a Kroger in suburbia, closer to the 275 loop (Cincinnati's circle freeway). It definitely had more items in stock than I've seen at my usual stores. I found whole chickens, chicken gravy, cream of chicken soup, more pasta varieties - quite a number of things I haven't seen for a little while.

I remember when the pandemic started people talked about city stores running out of things and urban folks trekked to the rural areas to shop. Today I saw the opposite - more in stock in suburbia than in the rural stores.

Went to the local store for a few things today. They were out of apple juice and the breakfast sandwiches I like. Meat cases were stocked, but thinly. I got the last package of nutter butters on the shelf, but there was plenty of fresh produce and they had my favorite salad kits back in stock. I can my own veggies from my garden so didn't go down that isle. The kicker was gas at 3.39. So glad I work from home now, the commute cost would be killer.

I can speak to this a bit since my family has around 800 acres of corn every year.

If it's on Zerohedge, it's probably crap.

Yes, inputs are up. But next years planting is proceeding as usual. Farmers in my area are concerned, but they are farmers and they are always concerned, about everything. Worrying and complaining is like a religion with farmers.

If there is a corn shortage, it will more likely be drought related. But even this year, when we had moderate to severe drought conditions across the heart of Central Iowa, yields were quite good. If the drought were to deepen, I don't know how much longer the good yields would last. But modern hybrids are amazingly drought tolerant.

Once again, I would strongly recommend that anyone seriously reconsider getting any agriculture related information from Zerohedge or other similar sources. Check out Successful Farming type sources for good info.

I'm not so sure about that Spike, at least about the fertilize shortage. I've been seeing stories about that in several places the last month or two. In Euroupe in particular. Seems the Nat Gas shortages I think it was in the UK were fairly severe and expected to have a big impact on this years crops.
I just bought a bag of 12-12-12 last fall and it was near double from the year before. Now I don't use a lot of it, but at the rates used on big farms to grow corn (which is a huge nitrogen user) doubling prices for ton's of fert will have a big impact on the bottom line. Most farmers operate on close margins and that could push many over the top. If the article has some bit of truth in it, and farmers cut out corn this year and switch to soybeans or some other crop, even say 10% of farmers, that will put a crimp in corn production. Corn is used in so many things now days including fuel that it could have a ripple effect on the economy even if it doesn't drastically affect food prices any more.

It could possibly have a short term effect. But when corn is in short supply, the price goes up, farmers grow more corn and the price goes back down. I wouldn't look for anything too earth shattering to happen. Demand is forecast to be higher on the strength of ethanol production and corn is at a profitable price right now even with high fertilizer costs. We're not seeing farmers transition away from corn for this year in my area...

I'm not so sure about that Spike, at least about the fertilize shortage. I've been seeing stories about that in several places the last month or two. In Euroupe in particular. Seems the Nat Gas shortages I think it was in the UK were fairly severe and expected to have a big impact on this years crops.
I just bought a bag of 12-12-12 last fall and it was near double from the year before. Now I don't use a lot of it, but at the rates used on big farms to grow corn (which is a huge nitrogen user) doubling prices for ton's of fert will have a big impact on the bottom line. Most farmers operate on close margins and that could push many over the top. If the article has some bit of truth in it, and farmers cut out corn this year and switch to soybeans or some other crop, even say 10% of farmers, that will put a crimp in corn production. Corn is used in so many things now days including fuel that it could have a ripple effect on the economy even if it doesn't drastically affect food prices any more.
Fertilizer factory burned this week adding to the shortage rumor.

Latest posts

Back