What Shortages are You Seeing?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
60 count egg box...it was $7something...last week it jumped to $14smething..today it jumped $15something.

prior to this bs this year its been as low as $3.75 a box.most of the time its $5something a box.

I went out to buy large bags of grainfree dog kibble for the landshark from a pet shop that has a loyalty program.
If you make a pet food purchase within 30 days of the last purchase you get 20% off the pet food regardless of how much you buy.
They only had one bag left of the flavor I know doesn't cause her issues which I promptly put in my trolley.
I asked the dude at the checkout when they are getting more in and he said they put in orders weekly and their shipments are already 3 weeks behind.
They could get some of one shipment or all three at once and the head office can't tell him what to expect or when.
He said it was like putting in a wish list knowing it prob wouldn't come true.

I went to a K-mart. Very very patchy inventory which matches the weather and the lack of supply chain.
It's been very cold wet and extremely windy here.
No warm outer clothes, rubber boots, warm bedding, electric blankets.

I went to a Mall complex over the road and so many major chains have left the complex to be replaced by unknowns.
I hadn't been in this complex since the beginning of the coward-19 hoax when they started demanding tracking apps to enter and the whole complex looks sad and rundown.
A lot of stores were open but empty. Even those with full inventory.
The health isle where you find panadol, anti inflammatory, cold medicine etc looked like it had been attacked repeatedly by snatch and grab gangs..nope. Just painc button sheeple terrified of getting the sniffles.

A head of overly handled lettuce cost $6.95.
I need to start up my hydroponic system again.
Never mind any thoughts of growing weed as a side hustle (JOKE) just grow lettuce!

Last edited:
The health isle where you find panadol, anti inflammatory, cold medicine etc looked like it had been attacked repeatedly by snatch and grab gangs..nope. Just painc button sheeple terrified of getting the sniffles.

That's something that's been warned about here - get your cold and flu medicine while you can, supply chain can't come close to meeting the needs. Some grocery management types are saying they can't get anything in - what's in the warehouse is what's left.

Sorry, wish I could remember my sources - just another "oh no!" thing I'm feeling desensitized to...

I suspect many companies are finding it prudent to market products through Amazon.com
Especially wholesalers, gives then better inventory and price control.

I managed to find ladies rubber boots and a size "double" electric blanket on-line.
Yay..I wasn't going to argue the cost because I was just grateful to actually find them at all.

Yes..I know I said electric blanket.
Since my radiation treatment, the purging and the "Keto" diet I have dropped an extreme amount of weight and I just don't have the mass to keep me warm enough so I admitted that I'm a sookie la la and I brought an electric blanket.

I managed to find ladies rubber boots and a size "double" electric blanket on-line.
Yay..I wasn't going to argue the cost because I was just grateful to actually find them at all.

Yes..I know I said electric blanket.
Since my radiation treatment, the purging and the "Keto" diet I have dropped an extreme amount of weight and I just don't have the mass to keep me warm enough so I admitted that I'm a sookie la la and I brought an electric blanket.
I hope the electric blanket will be under a rubber sheet. I don't want the land shark to doing you both in.

;)

Ben

what a crying shame !

Why is it only SouthernPrepper1 and his buddy picking corn? Why aren't there a bunch of other folks out there cleaning it out? Seems odd to me, is all. Maybe the field is surrounded by idiots. Who knows.

The main thing I seeing in shortages is PATIENCE.
KINDNESS, RESPECT.

It's the reason why I do the majority of my shopping on-line and suffer paying postage and 3 day to a week waiting time for my items.
I kind of wished I lived back in the US in an open carry state and had the ceramic "five point plan" my Devil Dog got for me from a craftsman in Japan.
Nothing like a lump of iron ( or polymer 2 )on your hip to stop the Karens and the Chads from getting pushy and running their mouths.

It's the reason why I do the majority of my shopping on-line and suffer paying postage and 3 day to a week waiting time for my items.
I kind of wished I lived back in the US in an open carry state and had the ceramic "five point plan" my Devil Dog got for me from a craftsman in Japan.
Nothing like a lump of iron ( or polymer 2 )on your hip to stop the Karens and the Chads from getting pushy and running their mouths.
I would normally do that too.
But I'm not spending much right now.
My emergency fund took a hit last night to fix right passenger window cable and motor.

I would normally do that too.
But I'm not spending much right now.
My emergency fund took a hit last night to fix right passenger window cable and motor.

I had to do that for my little Hyundai but I was able to find the right non-genuine part for cheap on-line and a fantastic Youtube tutorial that took you step by step..it even gave me a list of tools I needed to do the job.
It took a little over 2 hours to do and I saved over $500 doing it myself.

Why is it only SouthernPrepper1 and his buddy picking corn? Why aren't there a bunch of other folks out there cleaning it out? Seems odd to me, is all. Maybe the field is surrounded by idiots. Who knows.

well i dont have answer for this corn...but i do know this..i have a friend raises livestock for a grocery store. his contract has a upper and lower weight limit of live weight. its so strict he has 2 sets of scales he uses regular to check weights as critters grow.

i bet produce is same way.

dave said ears are small..maybe they wont accept them.

one reason many farmers put stuff back in ground is its bio mass..organic matter. i bet he bush hogs it down. why are ears not being picked..one reason is many people are animals. do yall recall years ago farmer in colorado i think was going to give away beets and turnips in fall and so many showed up it destroyed his hayfields from parking and more.? theres the whole liability of folks being on your property too. in todays society only people i directly know would be allowed on my property under these circumstances.

I did go pick up a couple things at the store over the past few days. The produce in each store is dismal especially for this time of year. At one, they had real chicken breast by the pound on sale for $2.49/lb. There were about 6 in a package and there was a limit of 6 packages. I got 2 pkgs. I like chicken but Hubby does not. Eggs are aplenty and <$2/doz. I don't really shop the interior of stores so don't know what else.

It for the film, the other people are in the shed, waiting for the call, then they will pick til dark.

I'm hoping to find a good run of meat in over the next month. State is running a no tax on food for August. That'll save us about 7%.
Your food is taxed where you live? NJ doesn't have a tax on food--only restaurants and prepared food in the grocery (like those prepacked meals in the deli department). Also no tax on things like toilet paper and feminine hygiene. We had a governor try to tax those products back in the early 90's. Inhabinants of the Democratic People's Republic of New Jersey tp'd Trenton. They withdrew that tax.

Ohio does not. I forget that other states aren't like that when I go elsewhere.
Food served in a restaurant is taxed, but grocery food is not taxed.

Edited to add: Carryout food is not taxed (except for pop/soda). So if you eat in at McDonald's it's taxed (assuming you told the cashier you were eating in), but the drive-thru is not taxed.

Pop is a different category. It's taxed.

Went grocery shopping this morning:
In the veggie section I would say that broccoli and cauliflower were the big losers, very low quantity and very low quality (out of 10 cauliflower 8 were black, 10 was all they had) there was not enough broccoli to fill a small ice chest and half of it was bruised or flowered. Prices for fresh veggies were ranging from $2.50 to $4.95/pound.

They had some fruit, but it would be about 60% of what they used to have. Prices were between $3.50 and $6 / pound

The bread section was a surprise, they removed 1 20' isle of shelves, leaving a U - 15' deep and 30' long open in the center, the remaining shelves were only half full.

Eggs, the display has been cut in half and the price went up to $6/18

Cheese was a mixed bag, I would have to say it was about 40% stocked, they did have a nice assortment of the expensive "fancy" cheeses, you know the ones $10+/pound.

The other thing I noticed is that the number of people shopping was significantly down. Now I do shop on Fridays at 06:00 every week, and the steady declines may be the result of people going back to in-person work or it could be the prices are pushing people to the cheaper stores... either way people appear to be changing the way they shop.

I actually just got back from the grocery store. Dad wanted ice cream and soft mushy fruits for his no teeth situation. The store I went to was very well stocked on everything. They have just recently renovated the store about two months ago, and it’s been very well stocked every time I’ve gone. Fruits and veg didn’t look too bad. Meats were good. I got boneless skinless chicken breast for $2.39 a pound. Can’t decide if I’m gonna freeze those or can those. I’ll probably freeze them.

There are two major parcel shipping companies here in OZ...I was just shocked to find out that the depo for one of them in my city are forcing their employees to use their private vehicles to deliver parcels.
I forgot to ask the guy why but I have a lot of other packages coming so I'll get plenty of opportunities in the near future.
They normally have large Toyota vans that belong to the company for deliveries.
My guess is they've had break downs and are waiting on parts.

Latest posts

Back