What Shortages are You Seeing?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Alaska taxes the Oil Producing Companies, they pass that onto the fuel buyers in lower-48 states. Alaska pays the resident "fools" who have lived there a modest amount. This year $3,200.00 (I think).

Last edited:
No food tax in Ga.

Odd thing I'm noticing, one week something is just gone, the next there are three kinds and all on sale! this is nuts!!
<--Bought 5 quarts of peanut butter for 15$

We have tax on food and on medicine here. I don't believe it is statewide but my parish charges tax on everything- including services. They charge tax on labor, haircuts, and breathing. (jk on the breathing part-- but I bet they would if the could get away with it).

I've noticed stuff will be out for weeks then some will come in and then its gone in a few days. Obviously because of high demand. Have to catch it at the right time.

More evidence in problems with the parcel delivery services.

A delivery service just pulled up next door in a squeal of brakes, music blaring to deliver parcels - the van was badged as a Europcar rental which normally have their rental yards and offices at airports.
I guess Europcar are happy to have the business seeing how the number of tourists and people flying has dropped significantly.

Just bought a box of 100 Praziquantel 50mg + Fenbendazole 500mg tablets from an on-line vet supply store.

The cheapest price was $167.90 AUD. Plus $10 express postage.

That wasn't a typo.....$167.90. Just as well I was sitting down when I put in my order.

I went to my fav bulk on-line chemist and they are putting limits on paracetamol, pain killers and antihistamines with inbuilt limits of 1 per order.
I was able to get several 200 count boxes by buying 1 box of several different brands.

Once again I chose the dearer option of express postage because otherwise they get bogged down in the system and can take anywhere from 2 to 3 weeks to get to me.
Express post is normally 5 working days.

I saw a news story just the other day where Amazon is cancelling the building of about 40 more fulfilment centers, and cutting back operations of even more.
They can see what's coming.

No food tax in Ga.

Odd thing I'm noticing, one week something is just gone, the next there are three kinds and all on sale! this is nuts!!
<--Bought 5 quarts of peanut butter for 15$
When we first came to this area in 1995, Georgia sure did tax groceries. It was a shock, coming from Florida where they never were taxed.
Georgia slowly phased it out over a number of years.

And deeper in that article you will see something to the effect that Amazon has elected not to replace the estimated 99,000 employees who quit so far this year.
The company is expected to open 250 additional facilities of various sizes in 2022.
Sounds like they're restructuring for more efficiency.

For crying out LOUD!

The large on-line chemist I normally buy my OTC medicines from just e-mailed me to say that they don't have the quantity of the meds I ordered and they have cut my order in half with the promise that the other half will be delivered "when available".

This same large bulk on-line chemist I had no issues buying 12 to 14 boxes of 6 count Mebendazole 100mgs at a time, in a single order and even got a discount for those bulk purchases and a discount on shipping.

This is getting pretty grim if these bulk on-line sellers are rationing to this extent.

I get mine two weeks apart.
I have to call BS on their reason for using the vegan crap, they have had dehydrated burger patties, ham slices and chicken casserole for DECADES now, the stuff keeps for YEARS! Whoever is doing this is full of it! Hey Vietnam Vets, remember the green eggs and ham? How about the spam in a bag? they are lying to us out of their butt! Do NOT eat the sandwich they offer, it tastes the same no matter how much bread there is!

For over twenty years now, every Saturday morning I have watched This Week In Agribusiness, and the US Farm Report on RFD-TV.
They are also available on line.
If you are a farmer, or a hobby farmer, or someone who is interested in knowing of food availability long before you are surprised by empty grocery shelves, I highly recommend them.
This year, for example, you should already know that some crops were late getting into the ground, some sections of the country have been extremely dry leading to poor harvest, and other good things to know.
I won't go into details, you need find some things yourself.
There will be the latest show video on each of these web pages. Plus, earlier shows if you care to watch.

https://www.farmprogress.com/week-agribusinesshttps://farmjournaltv.gallery.video/ott/category/videos/u.s.-farm-report
I do not watch TV on a daily basis, not even the local news, but there are a few things that I deem to be necessary.

For crying out LOUD!

The large on-line chemist I normally buy my OTC medicines from just e-mailed me to say that they don't have the quantity of the meds I ordered and they have cut my order in half with the promise that the other half will be delivered "when available".
I'm hearing more and more about a shortage on all kinds of OTC meds. I've seen lots of photos of the pharmacy sections of stores almost empty.
I'm happy I got stocked while the stuff was available!

I feel for people with important prescriptions. Those are nearly impossible to stock up ahead.

I invite members to consider LARGE pharmacies in America that mail prescriptions to you. There are some that do no local sales only mail order, and the cost of the mailing is free.

For over twenty years now, every Saturday morning I have watched This Week In Agribusiness, and the US Farm Report on RFD-TV.
They are also available on line.
If you are a farmer, or a hobby farmer, or someone who is interested in knowing of food availability long before you are surprised by empty grocery shelves, I highly recommend them.
This year, for example, you should already know that some crops were late getting into the ground, some sections of the country have been extremely dry leading to poor harvest, and other good things to know.
I won't go into details, you need find some things yourself.
There will be the latest show video on each of these web pages. Plus, earlier shows if you care to watch.

https://www.farmprogress.com/week-agribusinesshttps://farmjournaltv.gallery.video/ott/category/videos/u.s.-farm-report
I do not watch TV on a daily basis, not even the local news, but there are a few things that I deem to be necessary.
farm journal weekly report is one of best sources of info around..watch it weekly as well.

read farm reports from various ag groups as well.

Also, since we live less than three miles from Georgia, not only do I watch the Georgia Farm Monitor, i also get any breaking news from them straight to my in box.
It's a weekly 1/2 hour show.

https://www.farm-monitor.com

Thats a very low amount considering the profits they seem to be escalating.
https://www.reuters.com/business/en...it-record-50-bln-with-bp-yet-come-2022-07-29/
Magpie, the oil companies don't pay the citizens, the government does. The government collects taxes, and runs the State paying all the expenses. Then they put money in a Permanent Fund for when the oil runs out, then they take what is left over and divvy it up between 700,000 or so residents. If you're looking at living off the PFD check you're going to get real thin, real real thin. Most years it is in the $1,000 area. Even at $3,200 it does not cover the higher cost of living in Alaska but it is better than a jab in the eye with a sharp stick. When you say "Thats a very low amount" how much does your State pay you? Most states have an income tax, at least Alaska doesn't suck you dry. We have no income tax and no State sales tax.

Magpie, the oil companies don't pay the citizens, the government does. The government collects taxes, and runs the State paying all the expenses. Then they put money in a Permanent Fund for when the oil runs out, then they take what is left over and divvy it up between 700,000 or so residents. If you're looking at living off the PFD check you're going to get real thin, real real thin. Most years it is in the $1,000 area. Even at $3,200 it does not cover the higher cost of living in Alaska but it is better than a jab in the eye with a sharp stick. When you say "Thats a very low amount" how much does your State pay you? Most states have an income tax, at least Alaska doesn't suck you dry. We have no income tax and no State sales tax.
Every time I got headed out to the last American frontier either I had a tragic event or last time, my partner died. took it as a sign I have to stay here. :( Too old to go now.

Every time I got headed out to the last American frontier either I had a tragic event or last time, my partner died. took it as a sign I have to stay here. :( Too old to go now.
Not the place for a senior to start a new life. If you can take a vacation stop by and say hi.

Latest posts

Back