What Shortages are You Seeing?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Was at W-mart today and noticed no frozen potato products, 10' of empty freezer space... There were some holes, but I am finding that they are putting the stuff they have in volume in any hole just to keep the shelves looking full....

The prices seem to be climbing again, name brand soda is >$6.50 a 12 pack, enough to make me start drinking water....
Frozen potatoes are still thin here too, but I can get them. The cheaper, store brand tater tots and hash browns are often sold out though. Oh well, I can eat Ore Ida, I guess...

Basically. With a coating of some unnatural substance around them, so if you bake them, you get a little crunch (if cooked that way). They are "junk food like" and probably not good for you at all, but I like them dipped in ketchup. And where I live, they are used in casseroles, too. But so are frozen hash browns.

Basically. With a coating of some unnatural substance around them, so if you bake them, you get a little crunch (if cooked that way). They are "junk food like" and probably not good for you at all, but I like them dipped in ketchup. And where I live, they are used in casseroles, too. But so are frozen hash browns.
I dip mine in ranch dressing! Yeah yeah, Pearl is one of those ranch dressing on everything people! I don't know when the addiction began! I was born with the tater tot/french fry addiction!!

Ranch dressing is ok. A whole ton of ranch dressing addicts in our parts. Mayo, too. Both are bought in half gallon quantities. I pass on the frozen french fries. I like to make my own steak fries and put them in the oven....potatoes with the skin on, sliced thick, light olive oil coated, dusted with a pinch of garlic salt and red pepper flakes. And then dip in ketchup.

You nailed it. Tater-tots are just miniature hash browns.
In a tater tot shortage, it sounds like you could make seasoned mashed potatoes and fry up small spoonfuls of it. It would be easy enough to freeze them for later, as well. Not having seen or tasted a tater tot, I am just guessing.
You haven't eaten fistfulls of tater tots before?:oops: How did you make it to adulthood?:dunno:
Pour a bunch out to cover a couple of cookie-sheets, a quick bake in the oven, and you can fill up the hungry teenagers! :thumbs:
intro-1664300691.jpg

Last edited:
I probably made it to adulthood by not knowing stuff like that existed. It was meat, boiled potatoes, turnips, beets, carrots and cabbage and sometimes those spring onions, washed down with raw milk and creek water.

Recently, I have figured out a seasoned panko & 3 cheese breading mix for crispy fries, fried in lard and they are crazy good.

Last edited:
Just got home Lidls. No eggs. Not one. Signs apologizing for the supply shortages but no further info about it. I mostly picked up cheeses in the prices for that have been where they’ve been no increases there.

Picked up more split green peas (it’s soup season), Dad looked at them in the cart and just blurted out to me “there’s gonna be food shortages.” It has finally come to the forefront for him even though he’s known and spoken casually about it. He’s glad I’ve been canning everything I get my hands on and even asked if I needed to get more jars.

Just got home Lidls. No eggs. Not one. Signs apologizing for the supply shortages but no further info about it. I mostly picked up cheeses in the prices for that have been where they’ve been no increases there.

Picked up more split green peas (it’s soup season), Dad looked at them in the cart and just blurted out to me “there’s gonna be food shortages.” It has finally come to the forefront for him even though he’s known and spoken casually about it. He’s glad I’ve been canning everything I get my hands on and even asked if I needed to get more jars.
You are here in the US aren't you T? Have you ever dehydrated eggs? It works pretty well. If you do find some, might be worth getting extra and drying a few. Egg production in hens is slowing down about now as the weather shifts. Eggs aren't traditionally a winter food.

You are here in the US aren't you T? Have you ever dehydrated eggs? It works pretty well. If you do find some, might be worth getting extra and drying a few. Egg production in hens is slowing down about now as the weather shifts. Eggs aren't traditionally a winter food.
I'm in the Democratic People's Republic of New Jersey. There's rumors that we're part of the US of A but from the actions of Furher Murphy, I'm not so sure. disclaimer...I had a really, really rough day at work so the wise-hiney comments have been flowing like wine at a bacchanal--it's my stress reliever.

I've never dehydrated eggs--mostly just veggies. I have stocked some OvaEasy, Augusan Farms whole dried egg, and Thrive scrambled egg mix as a hedge. Do you dehydrate them raw or cook them as "scrambled" first.

I'm in the Democratic People's Republic of New Jersey. There's rumors that we're part of the US of A but from the actions of Furher Murphy, I'm not so sure. disclaimer...I had a really, really rough day at work so the wise-hiney comments have been flowing like wine at a bacchanal--it's my stress reliever.

I've never dehydrated eggs--mostly just veggies. I have stocked some OvaEasy, Augusan Farms whole dried egg, and Thrive scrambled egg mix as a hedge. Do you dehydrate them raw or cook them as "scrambled" first.
As a Jersey Gurl myself, I can say that NJ is not far off of CA!

Raw - I know it's posted somewhere here on the forum, but I can't seem to find it. Here is the link I learned from.

I'm in the Democratic People's Republic of New Jersey.
Jersey was "GREAT" the last time I was there. OK, it may have changed a wee a little since 55' to 57' (maybe it is still the same).

I probably made it to adulthood by not knowing stuff like that existed. It was meat, boiled potatoes, turnips, beets, carrots and cabbage and sometimes those spring onions, washed down with raw milk and creek water.

Recently, I have figured out a seasoned panko & 3 cheese breading mix for crispy fries, fried in lard and they are crazy good.
Tater tots are easy to create ar home.
Shred two potatoes like for hash browns
add two eggs and a quarter cup of flour. (Maybe a bit of onion and peppers?) stir well and using a large spoon dipped in water between tots to reduce sticking drop a big glop into simmering oil. when they float up/ turn golden brown, remove them to a paper towel. anybody ever dip them in nacho sauce?

Anyway,BOT:
No potted meat or Vienna sausage except the crappy brands nobody buys.
Tuna is getting insane, few brands of hot dogs, no stick Bologna, few cold cuts, eggs and some brands of peanut butter, Jelly is scarce, but preserves are making a come back, Dave's breads are just gone, bread in general is getting nuts in price, pork is making a comeback, so is beef, but chicken and fish is spotty. Ravioli and Alfredo are getting scarce again, many kinds of soup as well. no canned chicken or mixed veggies to be had and the pasta isle is pretty barren. refried beans are scarce and certain cheeses come and go. certain brands of chips as well. the bargain crap is as costly as the name brand stuff was six months ago. when I get my stamp bonus, I'm headed to the cheapest store in town and loading up for the winter! its gonna suck guys!

Butter is still somewhat plentiful here but the price has most definitely increased. Lidl used to be $2.48/lb. Last week it was $3.29/lb.
Its €3.39 a pound here, so about the same as you guys. and that's the cheaper own-brand version. The Kerrygold, Irish made is nearly a euro dearer. Most items, especially frozen, used to be a kilo is now 800grams.

Today I was pleased to find a good supply of butter, I only needed about 4 pounds and was glad to get what I needed. They were just under $4/Pound which is tolerable.... I did notice that about half of the end displays were empty, but it is what it is. Because the supply of produce is limited and our garden is still giving us greens, our overall grocery bill was only $75 for the week. Of that $12 was soda and $7 was juice. So if you remove the butter and the drinks, we only spent about $40 on milk, bacon, cheese, potatoes, onions, garlic, squash, and pop cycles.

Jersey was "GREAT" the last time I was there. OK, it may have changed a wee a little since 55' to 57' (maybe it is still the same).
When I was a kid it was great and that was the 70s. It was still the Garden State back then. Go to South Jersey and they were farm stands still, now there’s condos. Back then there were more horses here in New Jersey than there were in Kentucky. It is our state animal. The Olympic equestrian team trained in Jersey at one time not sure if they still do.

Back then there were more horses here in New Jersey than there were in Kentucky.
The names may have long ago been changed, but I remember The White Horse Pike and also The Black Horse Pike.

LadyLocust,
Are you able to find liquid paraffin? I use that for lamp oil for the lack of odor and smoke.

Christmas countdown is coming at the end of this month - it's call Halloween!
There is another countdown in the next month, it's called Thanksgiving.
I don't feel bad honoring those souls that have passed before me nor do I wish to pass by those many people and things I am thankful to have in this life. Once I get those things done I will be glad to celebrate the savior of my soul.

LadyLocust,
Are you able to find liquid paraffin? I use that for lamp oil for the lack of odor and smoke.

Christmas countdown is coming at the end of this month - it's call Halloween!
There is another countdown in the next month, it's called Thanksgiving.
I don't feel bad honoring those souls that have passed before me nor do I wish to pass by those many people and things I am thankful to have in this life. Once I get those things done I will be glad to celebrate the savior of my soul.
I have some but like to pick it up when I see it at the stores - haven't seen it for a month or two. The way things are if something is just between shipments, I don't really consider it a shortage. It has to be out for a while.

Back