What Shortages are You Seeing?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have not been able to find lamp oil for a while now. Kerosene yes, but not lamp oil.
Hobby lobby carries it here, Wal-Mart and Home depot carry the citronella scented stuff. If you can stand the "Nutty scent, you can mix sunflower oil 2-1 in kerosene with a dab of soap to force it to mix and make a decent lamp oil. During the blizzard of 93, I used straight canola for a while, then cut it a bit with %100 alcohol to reduce the smoke.

I just came back from the Dollar store, Potted meat has returned! but the only Vienna sausage out of three brands they carry is barbecue. (YEECH!) Possums look at that stuff and look at you like you're retarded, the cats won't eat it either! Chocolates are back, double price, cat food is up $1 since last month, No pork or beef Bologna or hot dogs. my favorite frozen pizzas are still AWOL, Mt. Dew and Coke are $2 a 2 liter, I did get some minute made lemonade for my gout cure, and I overheard a sweet black couple call Biden a M_F er and bemoan Trump because of the prices. Made my day!

Im not noticing too many shortages here, though car parts can be hard to source at times due to manufacturing delays. Australia fortunately produces a huge amount of food, though all our manufacturing has gone offshore.

Butter shortages!
I guess I will have to eat out more & steal the butter & strawberry jam off the table or.......................................................
Buy a brown cow & make my own butter, like I did as a kid.

The only store in my area that has mincemeat is Walmart. A 27 oz. jar for $5.48. I don't know if the other stores will have it in a few weeks for holiday baking or if it's disappearing. I'm grabbing two jars for now and hopefully it will show up in a few weeks and be on sale.

Went to Tractor for game bird feed (guineas, turkeys, goose feed). They had three bags. That's it. Got them all, but 150 lbs won't go far around here. Glad I have lots of chicken crumble, which I'd have to use for them with some brewer's yeast in it, to up the protein content.

Tractor around hear is well supplied, just had a sale on game bird feed. Stopped by the grocery on the way home and produce was not there. Not my normal store but non the less very weak, no dairy and produce and over priced farm raised fish!

Poultry scratch mix rose from $22 to $26 dollars in the last 2 weeks since my pension.
My internet was down from my provider with no explanation for over 24 hours.

Grocery store configuration would be comical if the situation wasn't so dire.
Shelves spaced so far apart that you can drive a car between them.

Talked with a friend today, he said that at a restaurant in TN they were told that salads were not available due to a shortage of leafy greens...

I know, 2 weeks ago I was going to order some Chinese food from a panda express, they had 6 items available on their menu... I could have gotten what I wanted if I was willing to drive 30 miles for carryout... not happening... PB&J to the rescue.... I was reading posts on reddit and it would make you think they are having supply problems across the chain....

I think that as the shortages we have been expecting slowly creep into the fast food industry it will become much harder for the general public to ignore the situation.

I just got notice from Amazon that they are unable to ship Mom's adult diapers.
I have about a dozen items on subscription from Amazon, they have been for months or years. Suddenly starting about a month ago, nearly everything is "Not Currently Available".

Steel.....no 1" bar stock at all......only 18 gauge sheet metal was cold rolled, twice the price of the usual hot rolled.
Rather than Oxarc or Norco etc. try going to your local fabrication shop. We've had no problems lately getting regular (hot rolled) carbon steel (price might be skitzo though). If the steel suppliers have the option of selling several thousand dollars worth or a couple hundred dollars worth, they will go with the bigger orders. Some aluminum products have been scarce.

Tried to place an order for one of Mom's Ensures on Amazon. They were out. Went upstairs and there were 6 cases delivered from Amazon. The wife got bonus points for getting that order in awhile back. I am now two cases short of my goal for that Ensure product.

I meant to post these the other day. One whole bank of freezer product was empty with the exception of a few items at each end. It looks like stuff is on some of the shelves, but that is a reflection from across the aisle.

IMG_20221022_132311665.jpg

IMG_20221022_132327313.jpg

Was going to make shakes for Halloween yesterday, but all three stores in town were out of dairy-free ice cream and the toppings were in super short order as well. That being said, most of the rest of the shelves were pretty well stocked. Lots of turkeys out already, which is a great reminder that I need to clear out some freezer space and get a couple while they are still around!

We are going to have a shortage of mangoes this season.
I live in a area that grows a LOT of tropical fruit and almost every back yard here out here in the slums have 20 + year old mango trees.
These flower over the winter and set fruit during this time of the year.
If the fruit set fails the trees will put on a second flush of flowers.
What I'm seeing is the first flush of flowers failed to set fruit and there is now no second flush of flowers AT ALL.
A second flush of flowers is heralded by the tree dropping the old flower spikes, a healthy flush of new red leaves (which turn green as they mature) at each growing tip and a new flower spike.

I've looked at my trees and even though they've dropped their first flower spikes there are no leaf buds.
People in this area are extremely poor and on a fixed income and count on their fruit trees to help with the grocery bill.
I know I did.
I'd harvest them, slice them up and freeze them in portion sized lots to eat throughout the year.

I had to hunt for diesel, 2 Walmart's and another low priced store was completely out

Interesting, I was just going to post that we have stations here that are running out.

Went to Tractor Supply today and there were no 4 or 5 ft. fense posts. All they had were the 3' posts. I got a few for the garden and those were $5 each. Dang, the price on those have gone up! The worker at TS said they've been out of the longer posts for months now.

We are going to have a shortage of mangoes this season.
I live in a area that grows a LOT of tropical fruit and almost every back yard here out here in the slums have 20 + year old mango trees.
These flower over the winter and set fruit during this time of the year.
If the fruit set fails the trees will put on a second flush of flowers.
What I'm seeing is the first flush of flowers failed to set fruit and there is now no second flush of flowers AT ALL.
A second flush of flowers is heralded by the tree dropping the old flower spikes, a healthy flush of new red leaves (which turn green as they mature) at each growing tip and a new flower spike.

I've looked at my trees and even though they've dropped their first flower spikes there are no leaf buds.
People in this area are extremely poor and on a fixed income and count on their fruit trees to help with the grocery bill.
I know I did.
I'd harvest them, slice them up and freeze them in portion sized lots to eat throughout the year.
We experienced something similar with many of our fruits/veggies - the first flowers just fell off. It was the strangest thing. Don't lose hope, there was a bit of a "pause" - don't know what else to call it - then they reflowered and produced fruit/veggies.

Turkeys, where da turkeys at. I looked when at the store yesterday, they had 4 turkeys, that's it, 4, I didn't even bother to check prices.

Some of the farms around here are taking 50 dollar deposits for fresh farm raised. Prices have gone up substantially from 2 years ago. A 20 pound turkey will run you $140.00.

Turkeys, where da turkeys at. I looked when at the store yesterday, they had 4 turkeys, that's it, 4, I didn't even bother to check prices.

Some of the farms around here are taking 50 dollar deposits for fresh farm raised. Prices have gone up substantially from 2 years ago. A 20 pound turkey will run you $140.00.
My mom was just complaining because she got a 19# tky and paid $30something. I haven't been to a store in a couple weeks but will pop in today to see if they have any. I still have 1 in the freezer I'm hanging onto until Christmas unless I can find more.

I went to our Grocery Outlet today. They had the gihugent turkeys for $38. They didn't have the smaller 13-15# ones that I usually get. I am not too anxious yet. It's still early & I think it was about this time last year when they got them in. I did think $38 was a bit rich, but they were the "good" and very big ones so it's not like @Curmudgeon said over $100 or anything crazy (at least here).

Latest posts

Back