What Shortages are You Seeing?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Weedygarden

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
What shortages have you seen or experienced?

This is minor, and I mentioned it elsewhere on the forum, but spray paint is not stocked in my hardware stores like it used to be. There is some, but they are not getting new shipments, like they used to.

I want to go to Sherwin Williams and get some primer paint. Last I heard, it was $75 a gallon. Yikes! It has always been more expensive, but I've been told it is the best. Is it? I am getting the kind to paint brick on my house.

I'm seeing some very temporary food shortages. It's nearly always one particular brand of something I'm looking for that's sold out, but competing brands are available next to it. This leads me to think it's a supply chain issue. In a few days things are always restocked, but shelves will be bare for a day or two. Both of the main suppliers for restaurants in my area have severely cut back on deliveries. They're claiming they can't get the manpower to be able to fill their orders. The bar and restaurant owners are raising hell right now, especially the little mom n pop places that have small deliveries, because the large orders are getting priority. I've heard of this with the meat packing plants too. They are having a hard time running at full capacity.

There are a lot of empty shelves, most notable is the dairy aisle as it is the most consistently weak. The freezer section has plenty of bare spots always and generally 10% or better of the shelves are bare.

I ordered 60 foam logs for my floats. It took 4 to 5 months to fill the order as they had a hard time sourcing the plastic wrap for them.

I have not noticed any shortages. Where I shop the inventory can be kind of spotty. They don't always have the same things every time, so it is hard to tell if there is a shortage, or if they are just in a buying cycle. We have never felt shorted or disappointed. We have always been able to go to another store, and get what we need. Fortunately, there are several choices not far away.

A number of empty shelves at Aldi today. No biscuits in a can at all. Cheese was slim. Plenty of chips, though, 2 aisles of chips. The stuff in their sale flyers (non food) didn't come in.
We've noticed the price and availability of paint, too. Terribly expensive. We just painted the exterior of our add on (25 ft by 25 ft) and touch up on the existing farmhouse. We ended up buying two brands, mixing them the same color because that's what they had.

Common Sense, some people have always had this problem, but it seems that more & more people are not thinking thing though, they just jump, then cry when it is too late to change their mind.

Last edited:
What shortages have you seen or experienced?

Shortage of "mature" age ladies, with a burning desire to live in the Alaska wilderness.

Shortage of "mature" age ladies, with a burning desire to live in the Alaska wilderness.
Well I have a cousin, a beautiful woman, in her 60's, who is a teacher in Eagle River, Alaska. She has been divorced for a long time. She also owns a coffee shop. She is a smart and funny person. The thing is about those of us who get older and are single, at least for women who are independent and have supported ourselves for decades, is that we are not looking for people to take care of. Many older men are looking for a nurse and a purse. We are not looking to give up our savings and investments and then to take care of someone after we have worked so hard for so many years. I know cousin is a hard worker. I have appreciated my freedom since I retired.

Appliances - you can get them, absolutely, but the scene is always changing.

Several weeks ago I was researching products for whole house water filtration (our new house set-up will be rainwater collection to a cistern). Then when it came time to actually order the products, they were all gone. This was within about 3 weeks' time. I thought I was losing my mind - I couldn't find listings for any of the products I'd researched. I ended up finding different products, but it was just weird how much the scene had changed in 3 weeks. But as a neighbor said to me - water filtration is a prepper product - and he may be right that it's a combination of an increase in demand partnered with a decrease in availability.

In building our house, we've had to make changes based on availability of things (windows, etc.). I don't trust anything that I have to order - I will buy something different than what I wanted if that different item is in stock in the store.

Well I have a cousin, a beautiful woman, in her 60's, who is a teacher in Eagle River, Alaska. She has been divorced for a long time. She also owns a coffee shop. She is a smart and funny person.

You do realize that Eagle River (a.k.a. "Buzzard Gulch") is part of the massive metropolitan "city" called Anchorage, Alaska.

Live report from my DW: No Greens beans and Taters in cans, No chocolate Carb Smart Ice Cream, No fudgecicles and no Braunschweiger. The apocolypse is upon us :(
Yea I'm having trouble with finding the canned potatoes and other veggies at the local grocery store. walmart usually has some and I try to stock up every time I go

Hubby was upset because there wasn't a certain type of beer. I don't remember which. I know it was flavored lol
Price of OSB went up again to $15/sheet

Store manger said the truck was coming in to day to fill the shelves & the farms are full of vegetables & meat, just can not hire enough labor to gather the fruit & process product.

It weird: I had to order two buckets of Headloks (a type of fastener) a bucket of 4.5" and a bucket of 2.875". Had to get them online from two different places. The place I usually get them from was out of the larger ones. The other place was out of the smaller ones. This seems to be the norm lately. Things come from different locations in order to get the quantity of a certain thing needed.

Back