What Shortages are You Seeing?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, I think it's a great idea actually. Shut down the trucks. For 30 days minimum. After all, the current fools in charge are wanting to shut down everything and anything anyway. Lets let it go 60 days. I am good with that. Are they? If / when it is determined cities need food and other resources; its $1000.00 per mile with a "driver surcharge" of $500.00 per minute. After all.... any idiot can operate 25 - 40+ tons of motor vehicle without training right...? Hell, most cannot even drive a manual 4 speed these days.

I expect shortages. Thats been an off and on thing for years depending on product. If its on sale buy it. Buy extra as the price likely never drops. It will get worse. To what extent I cannot say but as a part of the supply chain I can tell you there are massive disruptions that likely will get far worse before getting better.

Feds control the CDL so get your jab or no trucking for you north or south of the borders... interesting though how they can hope to dictate for say Mexican and Canadian drivers coming into the US with loads... but guess same way Europe is saying no vax card, no visit. force this when drivers are nearly self isolated most of the time in their truck anyway. Yet don't say anything about the 10's of thousands streaming across the border with no jab

Wait what? State vs country lines? What did I miss?
Ben

Here's the statement. The wording is odd to me and I was trying to figure it out. It sounds like he wants to require truck drivers to be vaccinated to be able to travel from one state to another. Maybe I'm the one missing something because I don't see how you could possibly enforce that unless he's going to punish any business that doesn't require employees to be vaxed. Didn't he already try that?

View attachment 75962
[/QUOTE]

Feds control the CDL so get your jab or no trucking for you north or south of the borders... interesting though how they can hope to dictate for say Mexican and Canadian drivers coming into the US with loads... but guess same way Europe is saying no vax card, no visit. force this when drivers are nearly self isolated most of the time in their truck anyway. Yet don't say anything about the 10's of thousands streaming across the border with no jab.

I didn't even think about the CDLs. Yeah, that would be the key. Just show proof of the jab or have your CDL suspended. What ! You mean there are people coming into this country who aren't vetted or vaxed? Say it ain't so, Joe!!

Feds control the CDL so get your jab or no trucking for you north or south of the borders... interesting though how they can hope to dictate for say Mexican and Canadian drivers coming into the US with loads... but guess same way Europe is saying no vax card, no visit. force this when drivers are nearly self isolated most of the time in their truck anyway. Yet don't say anything about the 10's of thousands streaming across the border with no jab
I understand who controls them. Given their requirements stop transporting. Yeah, illegals are okie dokie. Their version of the vid is fine....

It sounds like he wants to require truck drivers to be vaccinated to be able to travel from one state to another.

They were discussing this a few weeks ago. A fools errand, but look who's at the helm, think you have a driver shortage now?

Well, I think it's a great idea actually. Shut down the trucks. For 30 days minimum. After all, the current fools in charge are wanting to shut down everything and anything anyway. Lets let it go 60 days. I am good with that. Are they? If / when it is determined cities need food and other resources; its $1000.00 per mile with a "driver surcharge" of $500.00 per minute. After all.... any idiot can operate 25 - 40+ tons of motor vehicle without training right...? Hell, most cannot even drive a manual 4 speed these days.

I expect shortages. Thats been an off and on thing for years depending on product. If its on sale buy it. Buy extra as the price likely never drops. It will get worse. To what extent I cannot say but as a part of the supply chain I can tell you there are massive disruptions that likely will get far worse before getting better.
For years, I've worked to find local sources for our needs - not because I thought it would be like it is today, but because I had a gut feeling that it was a good thing to do. I've always thought it's better to rely on neighbors than gov. or mass transportation. I am thankful that I've done that given the current circumstances. Not that everything we purchase is local, but a good volume of the necessities are.

Craziness! In a local group I'm in, people are unable to find many traditional Thanksgiving foods, so they'll ask, does anyone know where to find this or that? If someone knows of a store where they saw it, they'll reply.
Wichita Falls has an Aldi's store as well as Walmart, United Supermarkets, and of course the ubiquitous dollar stores- Family Dollar, Dollar General, and Dollar Tree.
Some of the things I've seen that people are rushing about looking for:
Cranberry sauce, brown and serve rolls, pie filling, frozen pie crusts, and many other traditional items.
I've never seen anything like this food shortage that's going on for holiday ingredients.
This is why it's a good idea to get everything well in advance.
In the past several weeks, I have posted GREAT Amazon deals for all the shelf stable items most people use in their holiday cooking. But I don't see hardly any of them getting ordered when I look at the affiliate reports.
🙁

Craziness! In a local group I'm in, people are unable to find many traditional Thanksgiving foods, so they'll ask, does anyone know where to find this or that? If someone knows of a store where they saw it, they'll reply.
Wichita Falls has an Aldi's store as well as Walmart, United Supermarkets, and of course the ubiquitous dollar stores- Family Dollar, Dollar General, and Dollar Tree.
Some of the things I've seen that people are rushing about looking for:
Cranberry sauce, brown and serve rolls, pie filling, frozen pie crusts, and many other traditional items.
I've never seen anything like this food shortage that's going on for holiday ingredients.
This is why it's a good idea to get everything well in advance.
In the past several weeks, I have posted GREAT Amazon deals for all the shelf stable items most people use in their holiday cooking. But I don't see hardly any of them getting ordered when I look at the affiliate reports.
🙁
I find this intriguing. It’s not the foods that are in short supply; it’s the processing (people). It takes maybe 5-10min to throw together a pie crust. Rolls take a little longer but milk, flour and butter are still available. Pie filling- pumpkins all over, just cook it, mix in some milk and spices. Years ago people had house servants. Now people want it all done before it gets to the house but same thing really- who is working and where?

we have everything, some vegan stuff is missing, but it maybe low sales that did them in.
Red lentils, turkey, ham, & all the trimmings.

All those items you listed I cook from scratch. With you there, Lady L, I would never buy a pie crust. That'd be totally weird for me. I used up most of my slivered almonds in my cornbread stuffing, and will note that when I go to Sams Club. But if push came to shove, I have whole almonds I could slice.
We'll see what mom thinks of the pies tomorrow. She was insisting I order them from an amish restaurant down the road and that would be her contribution. I like homemade better. The pumpkin I grew and cooked made it look it little lighter than the store bought canned pumpkin, but it smells amazing.

I find this intriguing. It’s not the foods that are in short supply; it’s the processing (people). It takes maybe 5-10min to throw together a pie crust. Rolls take a little longer but milk, flour and butter are still available. Pie filling- pumpkins all over, just cook it, mix in some milk and spices. Years ago people had house servants. Now people want it all done before it gets to the house but same thing really- who is working and where?
The problem is, people no longer know how to cook.
Watch the younger couples in the grocery store, see what they're buying. It's all easy-to-fix stuff. Just throw it in the oven or microwave, or add water to the contents of a package in a pot and heat it up.
They actually call it "cooking". They don't know what cooking is.

On Friday while the rest of the nation is rushing to and fro trying to find the best deals on TVs and Star Wars toys, I'm going to stockpile some additional canned soups. There hasn't been any shortage of those in my area. I also might buy Walmart out of precooked ham steaks. Not as a long term prep, but because they keep for a couple months in the fridge, longer in the freezer. I've got the money now and winter is the time of year when my employment tend to become tenuous. If I have it now, I won't need to buy it later on...

So far, the only OOS item has been the 60 can variety pack of friskies cat food at costco.

Oh yeah, I heard yesterday at the liquor store that Hennesy (cognac?) was unavailable in ohio.
Have had a hard time finding the 60 pack of Friskiest too! Sam's Club online has some, soooo, some poor FedEx driver will have some lifting to do!!

Watch the younger couples in the grocery store, see what they're buying. It's all easy-to-fix stuff. Just throw it in the oven or microwave, or add water to the contents of a package in a pot and heat it up.
I always watch what people buy in the grocery store - totally amazing sometimes!

I never realized how lucky I am, my son & daughter/ SIL, as well as many of their friends are in the food industries & know how to cook.
I never brined a turkey, but the one my son & room mate cooked was great!

I guess we can add steel cattle panels to the list. There was one supposed to be on a truck delivered to my local Ag store today. The wholesaler was out. I was told they'll be in next Friday, maybe!

I spent the next 2 hours on the phone, called every Ag store within 50miles. I found one! I should have found dozens. I put a deposit down so they'll hold the one, til I get there.

For those who may not know... there are steel hog panels - 40 inches tall, steel horse panels - 72 inches tall, cattle panels are 50 inches tall. They come in 8ft and 16ft lengths. The height varies a few inches by manufacturer. I've seen cattle panels 48" to 56" in height.

The panels are much heavier than rolled fencing giving much better animal control. Here are some old ones still in use...

Cattle Panel 1 a.JPG

I guess we can add steel cattle panels to the list. There was one supposed to be on a truck delivered to my local Ag store today. The wholesaler was out. I was told they'll be in next Friday, maybe!

I spent the next 2 hours on the phone, called every Ag store within 50miles. I found one! I should have found dozens. I put a deposit down so they'll hold the one, til I get there.

For those who may not know... there are steel hog panels - 40 inches tall, steel horse panels - 72 inches tall, cattle panels are 50 inches tall. They come in 8ft and 16ft lengths. The height varies a few inches by manufacturer. I've seen cattle panels 48" to 56" in height.

The panels are much heavier than rolled fencing giving much better animal control. Here are some old ones still in use...

View attachment 76161
Good to know, I'm fixin' to to need about 10 of the 16' by 50"! Better start looking now!!

We bought cattle panels, the long ones about a month ago for the lambs we'll get in the spring. They had plenty, but short of the connector wire thingies. Told me he'd give me some more next time I come in if they have them. We've got hog rings and other stuff we could make do with though. I know of at least 5 or 6 laying around areas of the farm if I want to straighten them out. A lot of junk was left around here when we bought the place, some stuff is useful like bricks, some stuff not so much, like old tires.

That's good to know. I'll try that. The ones laying around are the long ones, too! For the lambs, I'm fencing off an area where they can also go into one of the barns when the want. Was going to use a dog panel door that at one end of the cattle panels so I can go in and out that way, too.
Unless husband puts goats in there. Then I need to rethink it. They'll need a hill and nothing close to the panels to jump over. Rather have the lambs.

We went the other day and everything appeared well stocked, until I started looking behind the first row lined up on the shelves. Many of them were just that, one row with empty shelf behind. Then we saw an employee making his way around the store pulling things forward to keep up the appearance..

That's good to know. I'll try that.

There were a couple of really bad kinks in my panel that driving over didn't completely straighten. I have rough cut oak planks in the shop. I picked out a couple about 5ft long, 10"wide. I made a plank sandwich on the bad spot then drove the tractor over it. This allowed me to flatten them enough the panel was usable. You could use anything flat, big and tougher than the panels. A 12lb sledge hammer will also work.

Back