What Situation Are You Prepping For?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I prep for hard times, no work, bad economy and mostly for winter. I don't even really consider myself a prepper. I don't pile up toilet paper and toothpaste. I have enough stuff stored up for years of living but if things ever got that bad I'd leave here in a minute and pile up with my clan. We just try and live like my grandparents lived, they weren't preppers they were survivors.

But I didn't start out thinking of preparing for world wide disaster. I started out with a plan to be able to provide for myself and my family no matter what the situation demanded.

That's what got me started nearly 10 years ago.

I started noticing the packaging on food products was shrinking almost imperceptibly. Unless you were really paying attention, it went unnoticed. That's the year we got our first chickens and expanded the garden from a few tomato, pepper and cucumber plants to a full on 5000sf garden with a wide variety of produce. I firured if the food companies were going to be sneaky about raising prices, I'd counter by not buying there products

From there it just grew to having a desire to be as self reliant as possible.

We are trying to recover from not being prepared and various hardships that have happened in our lives that have sent us to our knees. Every few months it seems there is something else that knocks us down. Just keeping on trying to climb out. Definitely not in my bunker yet. I do not have a decent backpack and I need some hiking boots.
A 72 hour kit would be a great start.

Collapse of human civilization due to natural disaster or manmade one. Either way basically starting civilization over again as humanity become a term only understood by those who have something left to give.

We are trying to recover from not being prepared and various hardships that have happened in our lives that have sent us to our knees. Every few months it seems there is something else that knocks us down. Just keeping on trying to climb out. Definitely not in my bunker yet. I do not have a decent backpack and I need some hiking boots.
A 72 hour kit would be a great start.
keep on getting up. Every step along the way is one more. We all have more prepping to do.

Back in the 70s when I really started I was prepping for lay offs, illness and accidents. I stored all the basics, water, food, toilet paper, guns and ammo and I had all my back-packing gear. We spent as much time as we could in the wilderness areas and lived off the land when possible.
As my information grew and the theories about financial and societal collapse grew I added to my preps. Back then we called it survival and kept ourselves separated from the more militant groups. when you get tired of all the doom and gloom theories you realize the being prepared for life's mishaps is just a good way to live. I started growing food plants instead of flowers and expanding my skills into canning and preserving food. Now we have three pantries with stored food, a full freezer and a well stocked fridge. I got myself completely out of debt, the home paid for and moved to a place where it will be easier to deal with nature because I am out of the way of natures worst. I don't live where there are military bases or in the path of nuclear melt downs and volcanoes are not in my future. There are still things that are hard to avoid like Yellowstone or 20 mile asteroids colliding with the earth or solar storms and HEMP attacks but I am better prepared to be OK without power. With three pressure canners going the freezer and fridge can be converted to canned goods in a couple of days. I have fuel for the canning burners and dry goods to provide calories that will be needed. I have two foot lockers full of medical gear along with a well stocked first aid kit. My skill set has grown to help handle just about everything that is survivable.
I have learned that life is a sexually transmitted terminal disease. You can't take it too seriously because nobody gets out alive. So, take the time to enjoy each day to its fullest and plan so that you can keep enjoying the future. The key elements are faith, hope and love.

I'm looking at the bitter winter trends and how it's destroying crops and heralding more flu in the Northern Hem.
I am 100% certain this trend will spill over to the Southern Hem. this winter.
Fore warned is fore armed.

It's been a very mild, dry summer so far. The wet season has been a bust.
I'm expecting bitter cold even this far north. I'm expecting crop failures in our major grain growing districts
on the Darling Downs.
I'll be going to the second hand stores and stocking up on blankets, duvets and warm clothes now while winter is not
on anyone's radar while they are still available cheaply.
I'm stocking up on flours, grains and legumes NOW while prices are low because the prices of produce in
the stores will sky rocket as winter hits and crops fail.
Frozen and tinned veggies.
Meats etc.....
If produce is in the shops it'll be poor quality and it'll cost a fortune.
SC creations it'll be a good time to triple your wood supplies now before winter hits because we're in
for a horrible, horrible time.

I prep for anything and everything right up to and including the collapse of civilisation.

Back