What size earrings?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sentry18

Thrivalist
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
My wedding anniversary is coming up and I am going to buy my wife a pair of princess cut diamond solitaire earrings. I told her I would many years ago and I am confident she does not remember, but she will when she opens them. I went to the jewelry store and so many of them were tiny, did not interest me at all. They had 2 sets that seemed okay, but I don't trust sales people so I am asking you. The two sets they had that seemed reasonable in size were 1.6 ctw and 2.1 ctw. I presume that is the total carat weight of both earrings? So the 1.6 would really be .8 ctw each? And the 2.1 would really be 1.05 ctw each? They can order in a 2.4 ctw and 2.8 ctw but do not keep them in stock. Each size step up cost quite a bit more than than the one before.

Her engagement ring has a princess cut diamond that is over 2 ctw for the center stone alone, so I presume the larger the better? So should I go for the 2.1 ctw set they have or should I order in something larger? Here is what they look like:

demo(1).png

I know next to nothing about diamonds, but those look nice. I wouldn't want the set in the earrings bigger than the one in the ring. IMHO!

My wedding anniversary is coming up and I am going to buy my wife a pair of princess cut diamond solitaire earrings. I told her I would many years ago and I am confident she does not remember, but she will when she opens them. I went to the jewelry store and so many of them were tiny, did not interest me at all. They had 2 sets that seemed okay, but I don't trust sales people so I am asking you. The two sets they had that seemed reasonable in size were 1.6 ctw and 2.1 ctw. I presume that is the total carat weight of both earrings? So the 1.6 would really be .8 ctw each? And the 2.1 would really be 1.05 ctw each? They can order in a 2.4 ctw and 2.8 ctw but do not keep them in stock. Each size step up cost quite a bit more than than the one before.

Her engagement ring has a princess cut diamond that is over 2 ctw for the center stone alone, so I presume the larger the better? So should I go for the 2.1 ctw set they have or should I order in something larger? Here is what they look like:

View attachment 3731
I would not go bigger, those sound perfect.

I wouldn't go bigger.
She will love them no matter which ones you get.

Now my opinion on diamonds is they are way over priced and useless.
De Beers controls 85of % the diamond market and they have convinced people that diamonds are worth the price.
I am guilty of buying diamonds for my wife but I don't plan on buying any more.

I bought a 3 stone ring for my wife. I spent months learning about diamonds and even longer saving. I found https://www.bluenile.com/
The ring I put together appraised at twice what I paid. You can select the desired quality, price, size e.t.c

I am in no way affiliated with them other than being a happy customer.

what about her birthstone?
I told my NH before we got married that I never wanted a diamond ring or any diamonds in case he was thinking of giving me a diamond engagement ring.
Then one day a really sad, heartbreaking thing happened in our lives and a few days later he brought me home a diamond ring. We had been married more than 20 years by then. I like my ring. We call it the new engagement ring because he never had gotten me an engagement ring. lol

Not knowing your wife or what type/size jewelry she normally wears, it's really hard to make a recommendation. But I can offer these thoughts:

Given that her ring is 2ctw, I would lean toward the 2.1 ctw pair because I think that size would be a better compliment to her ring. Something smaller might not feel balanced.

That said, I wouldn't go bigger. Again, I don't know your wife or her age. But I do know that - for me - within the past 5 years or so the hole where my ear is pierced has stretched (I'm in my fifties). I'm now finding it harder to wear larger stud earrings because they don't lay right on my ear anymore (regardless of what earring backs I use). It's not horrible, but I am noticing it, and choosing smaller earrings as a result. She'll want to be wearing those anniversary earrings as long as she wears her ring, so you may want to consider that. ;)

Hope that helps.

You want to consider quality in addition to size. A large low quality diamond is less expensive, in many cases, than a smaller higher quality diamond. Quality is a measure of a number of factors like clarity and color. The quality is as important as the size when determining the value of the diamond. Be sure to take a loupe with you when looking at diamonds. Imo.

Thanks for the feedback.

I have bough my wife diamonds for a few anniversaries and always set in white gold. Her engagement center stone is 2 ctw but with the side diamonds and the wedding ring attached it's 4.5 total ctw (or so). I will attach a pic. I will make sure the earrings I select have the same color, clarity, etc. as her ring set and the matching bracelet/necklace. I am thinking I will go with the 2.1 ctw set as I am pretty sure they are 1 ctw each and thus are 1/2 the size of her ring stone. Seems like a good balance.

ring.jpg

Don't do diamonds but do have a pair of stone earrings,Topaz with a diamond chip. All others are gold. Not much into jewelry because I seldom go anywhere to wear it. Wildlife is not impressed with my attire.

But I do think the earrings you showed are very pretty.

It is impossible to know women - each one is an individual. My wife would love a quartz ring and only like a diamond. She does have a garnet collar that she wears occasionally. :)

It is impossible to know women - each one is an individual. My wife would love a quartz ring and only like a diamond. She does have a garnet collar that she wears occasionally. :)
I totally agree with you. We are all different. After working in a flower shop during Valentine's Days, my daughter has no interest in roses, but many women do.

Speaking as a female, I completely disagree! lol
;)

Blast it all! Thought I had at least one thing on you females figured out!

When I picked out the soon to be wife's engagement ring I went with quality. She looked at it and said in was smallish, especially when she compared it to her girlfriends engagement rings.

Blast it all! Thought I had at least one thing on you females figured out!

When I picked out the soon to be wife's engagement ring I went with quality. She looked at it and said in was smallish, especially when she compared it to her girlfriends engagement rings.
Has anything changed about her? Has she gotten wiser? To some people, the bigger, the better. To others, quality over quantity.

My [trophy] wife is pretty picky and definitely has a sense for the finer things, but is so financially responsible she very rarely will give in to those desires. Especially when it comes to jewelry or anything else that depreciates in value. While I am well aware that diamonds have no intrinsic value other than making my wife happy (especially when someone says "OMG are those real?"), we have a lot of little genetic female clones running around and each them will someday get a piece of the diamond jewelry to pass down. So I think of them as both gifts for my bride and soon-to-be heirlooms for my daughters and hopefully their daughters.

I went with quality and my wife was overjoyed. If she knew about the quality she never mentioned it. I seriously doubt she ever figured it out but she was very pleased with having a diamond and that was the goal.

I think the 2.1 would look well balanced but what do I know, getting dressed up for me means putting on new blue jeans.

I went with quality and my wife was overjoyed. If she knew about the quality she never mentioned it. I seriously doubt she ever figured it out but she was very pleased with having a diamond and that was the goal.

I think the 2.1 would look well balanced but what do I know, getting dressed up for me means putting on new blue jeans.

Your wife let's you choose your own dress clothes!? ;)

I used to let my man choose his clothes until one Sunday. Me and a couple of our children were playing and singing on the worship team when he came in dressed in orange double knit pants and a bold Hawaii print shirt. Well, me and said kids couldn't do anything but pick our jaws up and keep going. Jim, never saw those pants or shirt again! I never let him pick his own clothes again. Now, everything he has matches no matter what he wears!!

Absolutely I select my own clothes. She finds it more effective to prohibit my attendance at functions that I couldn't care less about. Likewise my insistence in separating laundry into only two categories, clean and dirty, means I am discouraged from doing my own laundry and forbidden from doing hers.

Amen Brother! New blue jeans and t-shirt with no holes and underwear. I'm ready to go!

So I went with the 2.1 ctw earrings. I will be sure and let you know a few months down the road how it all worked it. :)

On an interesting side note the diamonds in the 2.1 ctw studs are 5.5mm x 5.5mm each. If you drop down one size they are 5mm x 5mm and if you go up one size they are 6mm x 6mm. That's a lot of money for an additional .5 mm. I could barely tell the difference unless I went a few sizes up or a few sizes down. Color is E and clarity is VVS2. I could see the color difference but could not tell the difference between clarity. Probably because I don't tend to walk around with a magnifying glass. Anyway if you noticed I haven't talked about buying a new gun lately it's because all my money is going onto these earrings!

So I went with the 2.1 ctw earrings. I will be sure and let you know a few months down the road how it all worked it. :)

On an interesting side note the diamonds in the 2.1 ctw studs are 5.5mm x 5.5mm each. If you drop down one size they are 5mm x 5mm and if you go up one size they are 6mm x 6mm. That's a lot of money for an additional .5 mm. I could barely tell the difference unless I went a few sizes up or a few sizes down. Color is E and clarity is VVS2. I could see the color difference but could not tell the difference between clarity. Probably because I don't tend to walk around with a magnifying glass. Anyway if you noticed I haven't talked about buying a new gun lately it's because all my money is going onto these earrings!

I'd prefer the gun.☺

Latest posts

Back