What to do if you think you are being followed

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Weedygarden

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
I saw this story, and have no idea how true it is, but even if it isn't, it is a scenario to think through. I believe that both men and women can be followed and pursued for some reason or another. I have been followed on the interstate 3 times, and interestingly enough, all 3 were in Iowa. Two times when I was a college student, driving from South Dakota to Kansas City. Another time it was my daughter and I heading east on I-80, somewhere between Council Bluffs and Des Moines.

I know that there is great wisdom in this group that can help us with more ideas.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
47, yes 47 kids/young adults have gone missing in Iowa over the last week and a half, both female and males, law enforcement believes they were abducted by sex traffickers, and appears could be moving into WI. Please read and share the below copied post.
PLEASE READ IF YOU HAVE DAUGHTERS OR LOVED ONES WHO DRIVE ALONE!
I heard about a friend whose daughter had a very unnerving experience yesterday while driving by herself on eastbound I-94 coming home from college. Right around Tomah( WI) where I-90 and I-94 meet, a grey Nissan cargo van started following her. Every time she changed lanes, the van changed lanes. When she sped up or slowed down, the van did the same. At one point she exited the freeway to get gas but when the van exited with her she elected not to stop and got right back on the freeway. But so did the van. She was close to HWY 60 when she finally called me and I had her exited and drive to the State Patrol station in DeForest( WI). She made a very evasive maneuver and exited at the very last minute and fortunately the van was unable to follow. ( the van had been following her for about an hour).
She could not get a license plate number off the vehicle because most of the time the van was so close that she couldn’t see the plate. But she did take a picture of the vehicle in her rear view mirror. There were 2 men in the vehicle. Either very tan or Hispanic, both wearing sunglasses. The driver had a large gold watch on his wrist.
The State Patrol told her that she was likely the target of sex traffickers. ( a young good looking female traveling alone). Even in broad daylight. She’s rattled, but fortunately safe.
The State patrol officers said she should have called 911 while driving. Told them which direction she was headed and what mile marker she was passing. They would have dispatched officers to intercept the vehicle following her and preserve her safety. ( There could have been other girls in the van as well).
Please relay this information to your daughters, nieces, cousins, friends etc. Teach the young women/ girls in your life to keep their cool and call 911. And NEVER stop their vehicle if they are bumped from the rear. Keep driving and call 911. ALWAYS CALL 911 IMMEDIATELY IN THESE SITUATIONS.
PLEASE COPY AND SHARE THIS AND STAY ALERT!

I will definitely agree on the calling 911 immediately aspect. The sooner, the better. And please practice your situation awareness so you know where you are and where you are going.

I had that experience a couple of time in college before poor people had cell phones. The first time drove to where there were lots of people. The second to where I knew cops would be.

A guy my husband arrested started following my oldest. She called me freaking out and I called 911. I told her to pass our road and go to the end (dead end) she got the, he got there and half the Sheriffs dept got there at about the same time. He went back to jail.

I had that experience a couple of time in college before poor people had cell phones. The first time drove to where there were lots of people. The second to where I knew cops would be.

A guy my husband arrested started following my oldest. She called me freaking out and I called 911. I told her to pass our road and go to the end (dead end) she got the, he got there and half the Sheriffs dept got there at about the same time. He went back to jail.
So scary!

I think that women especially should know where their local police stations are, or the ones in the area where they frequent. Driving to learn where they all are would be a great prep for learning where they are. Also, parking, getting out of the car and figuring out how to get into the police station. I no long remember why I went to a station, but the door was locked. I had to get buzzed in. Door wasn't where I thought it was.

Around here you might get to the police station and find the doors locked and nobody around. Your kidnapping, beating, or murder would probably be recorded but that wouldn't help you. Like Sentry said, call 911 ASAP.
Glad things turned out OK for her. Not to alarm you but, is it really over and done with or is there still a threat? She needs to stay hyper-vigilant.

Its done. Someone south of the border took care of him. Apparently he became a snitch and lost a bunch of their money when he was arrested.

He got called to a Higher Court. I wouldn't want to be in his shoes.

My recommendations would be to call 911; drive to the nearest Police Station; stay in the car and blast the horn continuously. Hopefully there will be someone inside that will come out to investigate.

I could count on one hand, and have fingers left over the number of Police Stations I have entered, but all of them were open, and all of them were manned. Maybe in smaller towns where personnel are limited they lock them when nobody is there. It must vary. I don't think there is a hard and fast rule.

Before we were married (long before cell phones), my future wife worked in a larger town and commuted about 35 miles each way. I had put a CB radio in her car and when she saw two guys in a car following her she picked up the mike and pretended to be talking. The ruse worked and the two guys took off.

Ours has an unlocked door and when you go in, there's a glass window where someone sits. But most of the time, no one is there. They do dog licenses, too.

Latest posts

Back