What to do with Green Tomatoes

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why ripen them? fry them up with Okra and some onions.
OR.
Cold pickle them with jalapenos and onions.
OR.
Blend them up with hot peppers, avocado, onions and tomatillos and make some salsa with a bite, you can preserve it too!

Why ripen them? fry them up with Okra and some onions.
OR.
Cold pickle them with jalapenos and onions.
OR.
Blend them up with hot peppers, avocado, onions and tomatillos and make some salsa with a bite, you can preserve it too!
He has two recipes for green tomatoes.

There isn't even a need to pick them and wrap them in newspaper.
Just cut the plant off at ground level with the fruit still attached and hang them upside down in a space where they won't freeze.
They'll draw all the goodness from the plant and ripen up and be sweet.

I know most of the people on this site knew what to do & have done it for years.
But I like the video & think some new person may need this information.
Just like I never heard of yellow root before this site.
Now I know what it looks like, where to find it & how to use it.

You can make relish with green tomatoes. I've even seen green tomato catsup recipes, but I've never actually tried it. Slice a few for freezing, to fry up later on. Freeze in single layers and then bag them once they are frozen. I've also heard of people canning them sliced thickly. Mostly though I just wrap them and use them as they ripen.

But does he have a recipe for green tomato cobbler?
Two versions, sweet and sour.
Just use a standard cobbler recipe add extra cinnamon & cloves.

Just use a standard cobbler recipe add extra cinnamon & cloves.
Ah, but the tangy version has Jalapenos and is drizzled in lime juice and has a corn bread crust!

Ever do tomato dumplings? I don't like the sweet version, plain with salt, pepper and butter is fine.

Latest posts

Back