What to do with it?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rusty

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
My brother, who passed in January at 84, spent 60 years tracing our family history. My nephew, his son, sent me a copy of his work. 9,000 pages. What in the hell am I supposed to do with it? It traces us back to being Scots-Irish. Related to a King Niall, big deal, he had 300 wives. Probably has millions of descendants.

That's cool! There is either a book publishing company or university in one of the southern states that some of my distant relatives have been working with for a few years. One of our mutual relatives had a house full of her research and when she passed away they agreed they'd work on editing it and trying to get it in book form. The company/university is very interested in this long line of ancestors and have agreed to publish it. I will see if I can find out information on which university/company it is and hopefully get you some contact info. Would that work for you?
@rusty

Last edited:
My brother, who passed in January at 84, spent 60 years tracing our family history. My nephew, his son, sent me a copy of his work. 9,000 pages. What in the hell am I supposed to do with it? It traces us back to being Scots-Irish. Related to a King Niall, big deal, he had 300 wives. Probably has millions of descendants.
I go back to the Scots-Irish too. I've found one line back into the 1500. But nothing more. I'd love to find more.

I would keep it in a safe place. At 9000 pages he put in a ton of work, so it must have been important to him. Keep it for his memory at least, and maybe other family members might be interested.

Do you have an offspring you don't like as well as the others? 😂
My mom tried to tell me I had to take my GGma's china. I told her if I took it, it would go directly to donation. She said I can't do that. I said then don't give it to me. She said I had to take it as it's handed down the woman's side of the family - mind you she never took it but wanted me to take it when my Gma passed. Nope, I am not the family storage unit.
I would ask if there is someone in the family who would like it. You might be surprised. Otherwise, you are under no obligation to keep it.

If you know any Mormons they might be able to put you in contact with someone.
The Mormon Church is big on genealogy.
I'm still waiting, but rusty didn't really give me a yes or no. I have other people to contact as well, but I will not unless he gives me a go ahead. I can contact the FamilySearch Center in Salt Lake City that is owned by the church or go through my local contacts first, but not until I know if he really wants to give it up.

I wonder if there are organizations like ..Ancestory.com.. or other research places that would be interested in this work.. There are likely many that can glean details from others searches.. The Mormon archives are quite comprehensive, but many still find gaps in there line of searching..

My mom's cousin did research on her side of the family and she sent us a copy, I read some of it, it was interesting but after thinking about the whole historical aspect, I told my wife, "We are what makes us now." His research went back to France, to Ireland and here in the USA, with a family relation to John Savage III, I realized that even with the genetic connections, we are what makes us now, I suppose if I wanted bragging rights, there might be something to fall back on but the truth is, all that would be is vanity and I believe that is one of the deadly sins and I had a friend that had a good saying about vanity, "Don't break your arm patting yourself on the back."

I'm also of Scot-Irish descent. With 300 wives, we're probably related, cousin.

If nobody in the family wants the research I'd go with the Mormon idea. It would be well cared for, and you could always have access for yourself and your descendants.

They don't want to be forgotten and we can be grateful enough to remember them and where they came from, what they fled to come here. It is important to me.

Latest posts

Back