What to do with those people who you think will show up after SHTF

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Son should have kept mouth shut until he discussed the issue with you and received your approval.

I agree. Son takes after his mother, too trusting.

I watched the "best Friend" grow up from grade school. For a kid that was raised by a single parent, he does have his head screwed on right. He is respectful of his elders. It is when he is with his peers that his domineering tendency appear. My mother was stubborn and so is my dad, so I have a double dose, I can handle him.

My place isn't the BOL. It's just a stop, rest and restock location. I'll have elderly mother and mother-in-law to care for plus a wife, 1 or 2 SIL and perhaps a sister. Odds of me making it to a BOL is slim. BOL Manager can deal with the Best Friend as he sees fit.

I agree. Son takes after his mother, too trusting.

I watched the "best Friend" grow up from grade school. For a kid that was raised by a single parent, he does have his head screwed on right. He is respectful of his elders. It is when he is with his peers that his domineering tendency appear. My mother was stubborn and so is my dad, so I have a double dose, I can handle him.

My place isn't the BOL. It's just a stop, rest and restock location. I'll have elderly mother and mother-in-law to care for plus a wife, 1 or 2 SIL and perhaps a sister. Odds of me making it to a BOL is slim. BOL Manager can deal with the Best Friend as he sees fit.

Good to see you have a firm grasp on the situation and the realities of the situation. Unless the THH project is completed or under active development, I will not be headed to a BOL. We each have the care of another to consider. Wife would never survive a SHTF trek to and the existence in a wilderness BOL. We will finish our days in comfort and take as many low life characters with us as possible.

What a great read this thread is.
Being that I am still fairly new to this area, only about 3 years in now, My brother and two best friends have been invited here. (Mosquito MM and his wife stopped by when I first got here too, they were on there way back to the homestead)
Anyways, My buddies would be welcome but I know the only one who would have any chance of making it here would be my brother. He is retired, has 20 plus years in the armed forces half of it spent in special forces. I'm pretty sure when it gets ugly in Ca, he will make it here even if he waits it out a tad. My friends wouldn't leave there extended families. They wouldn't recognize the danger until it would be too late to leave. Ive made peace with knowing anytime I see them it might be the last. When I moved, I knew this was a fairly depressing outlook but for many reasons, I was epically done with CA. I had and wanted to go..
I haven't had a lot of time or motivation to really make a lot of friends here. My closest neighbors I've been friendly with. I watch their critters and homes when they go on vacation or leave for the winter. A lot of folks leave for months during the winter, retired folks. The ones that stay are prepared for nasty winters, so even if they are not the prepared kind overall..at least some could get by for awhile because the closest big shopping is 1.5 hours away and people stock up to avoid trips on crappy roads in bad weather. Others Ive chatted with could be a problem potentially. They came to retire and don't want to be burdened with animals, or gardens because they want to travel. I get that and I'm sure they earned the retirement, and it's all groovy until the fat lady sings..then the party will be over and all they have is a cool rv. a filled propane tank to keep the house at 55 for winter when they leave..all is good right?
During one conversation recently while waiting for the mail lady to finish at the boxes on the road. We recently had a large fire go through the area and the conversation moved towards being ready for emergencies. A neighbor stated in emergencies, "Neighbors help each other out and should share". I'm thinking to a point yes but geeze..
Soo...with the exception of a very few actual friends here..Ive been learning whom to avoid getting personal with. I listen, chat, ask questions to get info on mindsets. Perhaps some are smarter than I think and do what I do to disinfo..but others display their lifestyles a lot. Only one of my friends here really know what I'm about, I totally trust her and her husband. With as many hours that I put in either at work or building this place up to how I want it..I don't have time for a lot of social interaction, with how things are going in the world lately, I'm ok with it now. I have a purpose here, I live intentionally towards a goal. I do have fun occasionally, mostly content with the hot springs around here and local delights. Its a simple gig I got going on here and it's not CA..lol yeah...

...We recently had a large fire go through the area and the conversation moved towards being ready for emergencies. A neighbor stated in emergencies, "Neighbors help each other out and should share"....

I'll agree to that statement to a degree.

Examples.

Routine spring storm took out the electric power for 2 days. After the first 12 hours without power I ran my generator so the wife could have her comforts, refrigerator and water. Closest gas station was open for normal business so replenishing the gasoline was no problem. A unfriendly neighbor relies on a sump pump to keep his basement dry. I offered to run some Romex through the woods to his house to power his pump from my generator.

Normal winter snow storm. A more distant neighbor got their car hung-up in a snow drift. Another neighbor got his toy tractor stuck trying to pull the car out. I stopped and help dig out both. The distant neighbor was wearing shorts and a tank top so he stayed in his car and watch us dig. I guessed they were making a "emergency" run to Wall-Mart. :confused:

SHTF/TEOTWAWKI

I"m out of gasoline (a true statement, I've converted my generator over to LP). Sorry about your basement flooding.

You're wearing summer clothes in the middle of winter and are stuck in a snow drift? Sorry will be the expression on my face as I drive on by.

I have a huge issue with people who say they'll just go to <fill in the name> house when something happens. These conversations usually happen in social settings where there are discussions of politics or weather.

Me: Have you spoken to <name> to see if it's OK for you to just show up?
Other person (OP): They won't mind, we're family/friends/co-workers.
Me: Have you specifically asked them if you can come to their house if something happens?
OP: No,don't need to (this is where they insert they're family, friends, co-workers, same church, kids play together, etc. ).
Me: Call and ask. While you're on the phone, if they say you can come, tell them you need to sit down and make a list of what you need to bring in the way of food, water, and supplies and figure out quantities.
OP: I don't know why you're making such a big deal of this!
Me: Because you're essentially demanding they give you half of everything they have to eat and drink, half of their toilet paper, soap, etc., half of their house. And all you are to them is just an extra mouth to feed for which there is no extra food. And they have every right to close the door in your face. You need to take care of your own family.

There have been times in the past when Ive shared info on events, articles and what not to friends and fam on my facebook. Some see the wisdom of being prepared for whatever but fail to do it because it takes time and resources. Others dismiss it or say oh were close to the store and just make a run for what we need ...sorta mentality. And a few say, ill just come to your place..lol.. but they don't know where I live anymore. A few Id probably welcome but most wont make it here come bad times..so..
And short term emergency help..no problem. During the big fire that was close, I had extra critters here that got evacuated, I was watering down a neighbors place, lawn because they were gone, etc..
Long term stuff..another story in my eyes.

Examples. :confused:

SHTF/TEOTWAWKI

I"m out of gasoline (a true statement, I've converted my generator over to LP). Sorry about your basement flooding.

You're wearing summer clothes in the middle of winter and are stuck in a snow drift? Sorry will be the expression on my face as I drive on by.

"Oh no, what are YOU going to do?"

I have a huge issue with people who say they'll just go to <fill in the name> house when something happens. These conversations usually happen in social settings where there are discussions of politics or weather.

Me: Have you spoken to <name> to see if it's OK for you to just show up?
Other person (OP): They won't mind, we're family/friends/co-workers.
Me: Have you specifically asked them if you can come to their house if something happens?
OP: No,don't need to (this is where they insert they're family, friends, co-workers, same church, kids play together, etc. ).
Me: Call and ask. While you're on the phone, if they say you can come, tell them you need to sit down and make a list of what you need to bring in the way of food, water, and supplies and figure out quantities.
OP: I don't know why you're making such a big deal of this!
Me: Because you're essentially demanding they give you half of everything they have to eat and drink, half of their toilet paper, soap, etc., half of their house. And all you are to them is just an extra mouth to feed for which there is no extra food. And they have every right to close the door in your face. You need to take care of your own family.
I have come to realize that many in this world are doing what they have to, to get by. The rest is all about fun and games, until that bites them in the behind. If it isn't fun, they can't even think about it. A big part of that is training and how they are raised.

One of my cousins was horrified to realize that she forgot to make her bed. Other cousin has probably only made hers under duress. Other cousin was always late for school, never wanted to work, has sued multiple people (makes her living from law suits) and certainly never contributes in any way unless pushed to, and then as a 50 + year old, still cried when push comes to shove, because that always worked when she was at home with her parents. She will expect that to work in SHTF situation. BTW, she has had bypass surgery and is still obese.

I Have one woman living not far from me.her mental issue is.she thinks,thats she's allergic to diff thing's. .take electronics for example. She can't have any in her place.on account she thinks/believes that she's allergic to electronics. But yet.she can go sit in her car rental,which is loaded with electronics. And listen to the car radio.in which,it's loaded with electronics as well.

I Have one woman living not far from me.her mental issue is.she thinks,thats she's allergic to diff thing's. .take electronics for example. She can't have any in her place.on account she thinks/believes that she's allergic to electronics. But yet.she can go sit in her car rental,which is loaded with electronics. And listen to the car radio.in which,it's loaded with electronics as well.
The allergy excuse is just another way for some people to get their way in situations. If I am traveling somewhere and go out to eat, I often like to go to salad places. Cousin I spoke of earlier, says lettuce gives her diarrhea, can't do salad place. Actually, there is more than lettuce at salad place! Any time I have ever been out to eat with her, maybe half a dozen times, she always sends her food back for one reason or another. Someone else pointed it out to me. I would absolutely never cook and invite her over! I would probably have to hurt her feelings! And she is so lazy, she probably doesn't cook, just complains!

"I'll just come to your house!"

"I will not be home!"

"Why wouldn't you be home? You got a better place to Go to!"

"Yes! I'm planning on coming and living with you!"

That politely quickly ends that conversation without letting the self invited know your actual plans.

Same woman. She's had family try and do for her. By buying certain furniture for her. Like chairs and sofas. Allergic excuse. She has a wooden rocker on her front porch. Allergic to the material on the cushions and around the edges of it. She gave the cushions to a neighbor. And had me remove the matireal around the edge of the seat. I didn't ask for any type of pay.but she decided to pay me $20 for doing that for her.

Same woman. She's had family try and do for her. By buying certain furniture for her. Like chairs and sofas. Allergic excuse. She has a wooden rocker on her front porch. Allergic to the material on the cushions and around the edges of it. She gave the cushions to a neighbor. And had me remove the matireal around the edge of the seat. I didn't ask for any type of pay.but she decided to pay me $20 for doing that for her.
Isn't this a way to seek attention, by being allergic to everything and talking about it constantly?

Sister-in-law complained that her sidewalk was broken and a visitor had tripped over a broken section and almost fallen. I used a sledge hammer to break up the sidewalk. Put the concrete pieces in a pile for her able body son who owned a truck to haul off. Set up the forms, ordered the redi-mix, poured, leveled, broom finish and pulled the forms. Didn't cost the SIL a dime, Merry Christmas and Happy Birthday I told her. Later I overheard the SIL complaining that the broom finish was too rough on her bare feet. And when is "he" (me) going to haul the old concrete away, she's getting tired of mowing around it!?! That's the last thing I've done for her . Last I heard SIL and her son threw the old concrete into the vacant lot beside her.

Sister-in-law complained that her sidewalk was broken and a visitor had tripped over a broken section and almost fallen. I used a sledge hammer to break up the sidewalk. Put the concrete pieces in a pile for her able body son who owned a truck to haul off. Set up the forms, ordered the redi-mix, poured, leveled, broom finish and pulled the forms. Didn't cost the SIL a dime, Merry Christmas and Happy Birthday I told her. Later I overheard the SIL complaining that the broom finish was too rough on her bare feet. And when is "he" (me) going to haul the old concrete away, she's getting tired of mowing around it!?! That's the last thing I've done for her . Last I heard SIL and her son threw the old concrete into the vacant lot beside her.
LOL! Wouldn't it be hilarious if owner of vacant lot threw it back?

Gold, silver,skills..... you do not work, you do not eat.
Can not run from family, but I have ten acres, so you will work or eat at some other table.

what people? nobody is getting out of a city alive. we don't have the US history of pioneering in the UK and WW2 is so long ago its ancient history to most people and only that-history.

People who "show up" after will be met with an attitude whether I know them or not. If I am going to save my family I have nothing to spare, no place for them to stay and a very limited amount of water if they have a container. Any argument will be decided with force up to and including lethal force. If they know too much about us they will never leave, They may not join but they will never leave to provide information to others. A rotting body under a sign for HazMat is a very convincing message.It is even more convincing if there are dead carrion feeders nearby.

People who "show up" after will be met with an attitude whether I know them or not. If I am going to save my family I have nothing to spare, no place for them to stay and a very limited amount of water if they have a container. Any argument will be decided with force up to and including lethal force. If they know too much about us they will never leave, They may not join but they will never leave to provide information to others. A rotting body under a sign for HazMat is a very convincing message.It is even more convincing if there are dead carrion feeders nearby.

I'm sure that would work.:ghostly:

I figure to ask them to please fast for a week and then come back, and we will be happy to have them for dinner......literally for dinner.

How sweet of you!
I will refrain from long pork for as long as possible. I'm not against the practice, I just prefer venison, beef, poultry and pork from pigs or bear. I like fish too but I don't see that as a truly viable option in the long term. Are cannibals willing to eat diseased people?

Well the large majority of diseases are destroyed in the cooking process so as long as you are not dealing with spongiform encephalopathy you are probably OK. Even then you can eat the muscle tissue without worry. ;)

Latest posts

Back