What Type Light Bulb ?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Depends on where it is and how "universal" the base is.
Ceiling fixtures are all daylight LED fixtures. In the shop there are 22 double 4 foot florescent fixtures that will be rotated out for LED lights as they fail. All our 6 volt "flash lights" are LED.
The fridge light is LED but the stove and microwave use incandescent lights. The motion detectors outside are all LED flood lights.

do you use?
https://www.homesteadingforum.org/threads/how-did-i-save-money-today.2243/page-42#post-197688
Don't fall for the cheap LED bulbs.
Look at the lumen output listed on them. Unless you're looking to get romantic, 800 lumens or more.
They know the only way they will sell you more, is if you have to come back for brighter ones.
And to make it a challenge, you have to really shop for ones that are greater than 60-watt equivalent.
But they are out therelightbulb

I have replaced most of the bulbs with LEDs. They use a lot less power and so far I haven't had to replace any of them.
The light over the table would burnout a bulb about every month. I went to LED and haven't had one go bad yet.
I have also replaced all the bulbs in my motorhome with LED.
I have a bunch of incandescent bulbs in the shed but I'm going to save those untill I find someone desperate then sell at a profit. :)

Thank you all for advice. We need to buy some bulbs and I had no idea :dunno: what kind.:Thankyou:
Color matters too.
They range from soft-white 3000K (orange), daylight 5000K, to cool-white 8000K (think old-school florescent).
For bathroom and kitchen I want 'operating-room' lighting you could do surgery under, 5000k-8000K.
For living area lights that are always on, 3000K.
For brands, names you have heard of like Sylvania, GE, and Philips. They have a reputation to protect. Not 'Great Value':rolleyes:.

Last edited:
Color matters too.
They range from soft-white 3000K (orange), daylight 5000K, and cool-white 8000K (think old-school florescent).
For bathroom and kitchen I want 'operating-room' lighting you can do surgery under, 5000k-8000K.
For living area lights that are always on, 3000K.
For brands, names you have heard of like Sylvania, GE, and Philips. They have a reputation to protect. Not 'Great Value':rolleyes:.

SuperV which brand do you prefer
?

My err,
Every light in my house , garage , barn sheds and shop has been converted to LED.

Electric rate's rise to offset the lower usage.:mad:

Can't imagine what my electric bill would be on all incadesant lights.

What Super said choose , Philips, Sylvania and pay attention to lumens and color .

Jim

Last edited:
Most of our lights require a specific type of bulb, but they are all LED. Most the "antique style" LED. In the living room and on our night stands we use 800 lumen Wyze LED bulbs. They can be turned on, turned off, dimmed, and adjusted from 2.7k to 6.5k brightness using a smart device.

SuperV which brand do you prefer?
GE, but they may be hard to find because they are pricey.
Just remember, you're shopping for 'years' too.
Bulbs that cost half as much but last 2 years instead of 7+ are actually more 'expensive':(.

Last edited:
I have had a great deal of disappointment with GE lights and appliances. I will buy anything other than GE but prefer Sylvania.

Along the lines of what @Supervisor42 mentioned, I like the "natural light" bulbs. I do try to get LED but didn't know until reading the thread mentioned above that not all are created equally. The natural light ones help with SAD in the winter months which is when they are primarily used. Just my 2 cents.

Along the lines of what @Supervisor42 mentioned, I like the "natural light" bulbs. I do try to get LED but didn't know until reading the thread mentioned above that not all are created equally. The natural light ones help with SAD in the winter months which is when they are primarily used. Just my 2 cents.

LadyL makes sense. I like the seasons but miss long days.

I never truly realized the power the difference the color of lights can make until I boarded a 16-hour non-stop flight to Australia.
When you got on the plane they handed you a pillow and a blanket....at 3:30PM!
The cabin was lit with bright florescent-blue kind of light.
We took off and everybody was busy watching free movies in the TV's mounted to the back of the seat in front of them.
The crew served supper a couple hours into the flight ~5:30PM.
Over a period of about an hour after that, the cabin lights very gradually changed to a strange reddish-orange.
Nobody noticed.
'enter the sandman':oops:
Within an hour, 90% of the passengers were sound asleep, before 8:00 PM!:eek:
I looked around in stunned amazement.
The only reason I witnessed this is because I suffer from insomnia and won't sleep unless I take something.
Color matters.

Last edited:
We have mostly swapped over as a bulb fails. Except I do have Flourecents in the basement I haven't changed yet. They will get swapped out as they quit. I have one bulb that has started flikering at times. I think its the bulb, but not sure yet. If so it'll be the first one to die.
Color is important if you are wanting to read in particular. I'll never buy GE anything if I can help it. Most of ours are Sylvania and so far so good.

We have mostly swapped over as a bulb fails. Except I do have Flourecents in the basement I haven't changed yet. They will get swapped out as they quit. I have one bulb that has started flikering at times. I think its the bulb, but not sure yet. If so it'll be the first one to die...
You mean the 'twisty' florescent bulbs?
I am happy to see them go away. Their fine print says don't leave them on unattended.
They are right.
I watched not one, but 2 of them that went out start smoking and one had a hole in the plastic that it was spitting sparks out of:eek:.
Anything flammable underneath it would have caught on fire.
Saving money on electricity is a great idea, until your house burns down.:oops:

Latest posts

Back