What virus protection and cyber security have you used and been satisfied with?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Patchouli

Gatekeeper
Staff member
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Looking for a good product, hate reading through all the information even though I know I'll have to. I've used Kaspersky, McAfee, and might have used Norton. Does it really matter which one is used? Kind of like auto insurance? You pick what you think will work best or just renew with same every year?

Last edited:
Looking for a good product, hate reading through all the information even though I know I'll have to. I've used Kaspersky, McAfee, and might have used Norton. Does it really matter which one is used? Kind of like auto insurance? You pick what you think will work best or just renew with same every year?
Windows defender. Comes with modern versions of Windows.

Ben

Thank you @Neb was hoping you'd give your opinion!
However, I am seeing that windows defender is reporting false positive this afternoon! Which is what I was getting and alarmed me.

However, I am seeing that windows defender is reporting false positive this afternoon! Which is what I was getting and alarmed me.
A false positive is better than a false negative. :oops:

I use Linux, and don't worry about installing any anti-virus/anti-malware extra software.

But that may be a step too far if you're a Windows user. When I used Windows (decades ago), I used AVAST anti-virus. It was very good back then, I don't know about now (or if it's even still around). My wife runs Windows and has installed Norton. That appears to work, but it's a resource hog. And expensive. You have to keep renewing it year after year. It's the "gift that keeps on giving" (actually "taking" ... from your bank account!)

My preference is for apps that do one thing, and do that well. So I don't like things like Norton. It tries to be an anti-virus, and a password-rememberer, and a cloud-storage, and an anti-malware, and a system-repairer, and a registry-cleaner, ... and everything else under the sun. McAffee is the same kind of "do everything" product. The do-everythings are resource hogs. Unfortunately, I am telling you what I would NOT use, not what I WOULD use. But I don't run Windows anymore and my experience with that operating system is now quite stale. So I am suggesting things here based more on my personal bias and experiences years ago - not based on any recent experience.

For a number of years I have used Avast Premium. I started with the free version, and later upgraded to the version that costs money.
I also use Malwarebytes anti-malware. It is not free, either. But I believe the peace of mind is worth it.

The Avast Premium also gives me a "clean up" that allows me to clean junk files.
And it gives the option of a VPN.

@Haertig yes, no, knowing what you would NOT use is helpful. I appreciate any knowledgeable opinions and experience with this stuff.
@rice paddy daddy and @Haertig I have not heard of Avast.
Have several devices to protect and like that they can be included, dislike how much the cost has risen.

Thank you @Neb was hoping you'd give your opinion!
Thank The Princess.

She manages IT for a large library with 3-5000 PCs and has researched all if the options. Since those PCs are open to the public there is no telling what they get exposed to. She let the free Mcafee trial run out on our laptops and went with Defender. I just listen to her and all goes well.

Ben

Kapersky and Zonelabs here. highly recommended by hackers I trust.
As a former admin, I was always having some little snot attack me or my boards. I'd get a readout of how they were trying to get in, what they were trying to do and their I.P, which I would turn over to my rowdy friends. this one guy was a genius, he had a bomb that did nothing until the creep he gave it to came on or tried to get into our forums, then it re wrote his system 32 files. Real leet haxxors use Linux!

I use Avast (free edition) along with CCleaner (free edition) to scrub my puter for junk. I use Ghostery (free edition) add on with Firefox for pop ups/ads etc.

I run Avast myself, but it likes to crash my games when it decides I need a scan in the middle of my game time.
So it doesn’t give you the option to make it wait until you’re ready for it to scan. I don’t have games running so I suppose it wouldn’t matter for me.
Sometimes you’re writing a foreign language. @Magus real leet haxxors.
@Curmudgeon the tally is leaning towards Avast, free version sounds great. Thanks!

I run Avast myself, but it likes to crash my games when it decides I need a scan in the middle of my game time.
Does it pick it's own time to scan, or do you have it configured to start a scan at specific times? I remember being able to schedule regular scans back when I was still using Windows/AVAST. If you tell it to scan daily at 3:00am and you happen to be playing a game at 3:00am, it's going to start it's scan as it was instructed to. I don't think the software has a concept of "if this running software (there are normally 100's of programs running) is A GAME, then do not start the scheduled scan". Maybe that capability is present in modern virus scanners, but it was not back when I used Windows.

With Avast Premium you have to manually tell it to scan.

You can make the free one, but every time it updates it repairs the code line, so most don't bother, takes too long. A good free one is clamwin, its saved my "too broke for the good stuff" butt several times, but here's the catch, IT ALWAYS RUNS. So if you have a low powered rig, forget gaming unless you give it a nap!

RE:Avast.

HUH...Missed it. Duhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. fixed.

Just for a look at L33t: cusswords will get nuked by the censor so...

A&DAttack and Defend
AFAIKAs Far As I Know
AFKAway From Keyboard
ATMAt The Moment
BAFBring A Friend
BBIMBe Back In a Minute
BBLBe Back Later
BBSBe Back Soon
BRBBe Right Back
BSbologna
BTWBy The Way
CUSee You
DMDeath Match
DMGDamage
FAQFrequently Asked Questions
FBFlash Bang grenade
FFAFree For All
FFSFor ****'s Sake
FHFull Health
G2G, GTGGot To Go
GAGo Ahead
GDGod Damn
GFGood Fight
GLGood Luck
GGAGood Game All
HPHit Points
IIRCIf I Recall Correctly
IMO, IMHOIn My Opinion, In My Honest Opinion
IRCInternet Relay Chat
IRL, RLIn Real Life, Real Life
JJ, JKJust Joking, Just Kidding
KOSKill On Sight
LFCLooking For Clan
LMAO, LMFAOLaughing My Ass Off, Laughing My ******* Ass Off
LOL, l0lLaugh(ing) Out Loud
LOSLine Of Sight
LvlLevel
M8Mate, teammate
MedMedic
ModA modification of a game, usually created by gamers instead of the original developers
MPMultiplayer
MTFBWYMay The Force Be With You
N1Nice one
NPNo Problem
NTNice Try
O RLY, ORLYOh, really?
OMG, OMFGOh My God, Oh My ******* God
OMWOn My Way
OOR, OOSOut Of Range, Out Of Sight
OSOKOne Shot One Kill
PITAPain In The Arse/Ass
PKPlayer Killing
PMSLPissing MySelf Laughing
PortTeleport
PPLPeople
Res, RezResolution
ROFLRoll On the Floor Laughing
ROFLMAORolling On the Floor Laughing My Ass Off
ROFLOL, r0fl0lRolling On the Floor Laughing Out Loud
RPRole Play
RTRoger That
SigSignature
SPSingle Player
zip itShut The **** UP
SupWhat's Up
TBHTo Be Honest
Thx, Thnx, TyThanks, Thank you
TTFNTa Ta For Now (Goodbye for now)
GG, VGGGood Game, Very Good Game
WBWelcome Back
WTHeckWhat The ****
WTGWay To Go
WYGWhat You Got?
YWYou're Welcome
OFCOf Course
SMHShaking My Head
NCNo Comment
RUSOSAre You Stupid Or Something
w/eWhatever
ndAnd
YARLYYeah, really!
RPGRole Playing Game
RTSReal Time Strategy game, as in it is not turn-based, but all players perform actions simultaneously
FPSFirst Person Shooter, Frames Per Second

Last edited:
@Neb Does The Princess no longer have an account here? Thank her for me please.
Yes @ThePrincess is still signed up but will not be very active until she retires.

She works 45 hours a week, does Tae Kwon do, working on her fifth level black belt in Kung fu, actively researches stock markets and investments and does the Gramma thing

Ben

Latest posts

Back