What Was the Diet of a Medieval Peasant?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not sure what they'd think about a pizza cutter and an ice cream scoop...

Sadly, much of what was used was organic in nature and rarely survived the times and decay.

It's like trying to put a puzzle together with 80% of the pieces missing and no box.
Many assumptions are made. Logical assumptions perhaps, but assumptions none the less.

It makes me think of the so called viking grill:
Screen Shot 2022-11-17 at 5.11.24 PM.png

Nobody REALLY knows what it is. Its assumed, it was used for cooking, because it was found near cooking pots. You will find many people who claim it was for grilling meat. Could be...although it would be pretty awkward and uses a lot of metal to grill something the size of one hamburger patty, awkwardly....

But its known as a viking grill because someone had the idea that is what it is....when we don't even know if it has anything to do with food at all, let alone what.

View attachment 98288

Nobody REALLY knows what it is. Its assumed, it was used for cooking, because it was found near cooking pots. You will find many people who claim it was for grilling meat. Could be...although it would be pretty awkward and uses a lot of metal to grill something the size of one hamburger patty, awkwardly....

But its known as a viking grill because someone had the idea that is what it is....when we don't even know if it has anything to do with food at all, let alone what.
Hmmm...

Can we trace Romper Room back to the Vikings ?

Ben

View attachment 98288
... we don't even know if it has anything to do with food at all, let alone what.

🤔 Mmm ..Viking IUD? :eek:;) I mean, they Were pretty 'hardcore' (at least 'Purportedly'..) Think ya kind a Have-to be, tho, to successfully traverse the North-Atlantic, et al..

jd

Disemboweling tool?

.....either that or toasted sandwich maker......

.......maybe botho_O

One theory that I think is pretty plausible is that it was heated up in fires and then dipped into drinks to warm them up.

But the truth is, it could have just been a cool do-dad some blacksmith made and not representative at all of 'how the vikings did it' for all we know. Which is surprisingly little.

No, really. its a bread warmer. granny had something like it in her fire place.

..So, yer saying the Vikings were into Cinnamon Rolls way more than anyone Knew? 🤔;)

Back OT, @elkhound - Thanks for these Vids / Thread.. Very interesting / informative.. :cool: Wonder if they had water chestnuts? 🤔 Shallots, Leek, scallions, etc, no doubt, but.. I'd bet water chestnuts would have been a Hit..

jd

Hah! So, in trying to do a little 'homework' on the Water chestnut, I stumbled across the 'Water Caltrop'...

yf3vmxarvumcv687tueu.jpg

..and Instantly, all I can see is..

durins-bane.jpg
😂

..Betcha Those would've been popular back in those days.. Looks like they'd make a Fine 'Coat / Cape-button', albeit a bit 'pokey'.. 🤔(though, no doubt, Someone would have branded them as 'Devil Nuts' and "posession" of 'em would have probably gotten you swiftly 'Burnt at the stake'.. :rolleyes:

jd

In tribute...

Medi-Bkfst.jpg

..2 Eggs, Ham 'steak', multi-grain Bread (properly Burnt) Green Onions.. and some of my Sons' excellent Mead to wash it down.. :cool: And, Look! I even got a nice 'Bone Ring' out of the meal!
Bone-Pinky.jpg
😂

..though I supposed I Best take it off before Feeding the Dogs, lest I lose the Whole Thing! :eek:;) Meh, not one much for 'pinky rings', anyway.. Kinda gey.. ;)

jd

OK, following-on to 'Medieval-style' (maybe) Dinner!

Din-WGuinn.jpg

..Grilled Salmon-steak (w/ butter, left-over 'blackening' rub / coarse Peppercorn / SeaSalt grinder) Broc, and 'Potato soup', with left-over Ital-sausage Bits, left-over Bacon chunks, more Green Onion, and a bit of left-over Esacarole.. Mmmm, Mmm! 👍 Oh, but I 'cheated' and had a Guinness. ☺️

Dang, these 'peasants' ate Great! :p (I mean, This ^ sure beats the heckfire outta 'McVomalds' ;)

jk, I mean, Pff - Really, this was ALL 'cheating' - It's not like I had to go yank the Salmon outta the River, Just to Eat, tonight (though, Honestly, I Wish I had Had-to.. Woulda been That-Much Better) Or, it's not like we had to slaughter one of Our pigs, for the 'Ham steak' this am, etc etc.. (..I Did grow the Green Onions, tho, so.. I guess that's a Start. :)

Point being: Yeah, When 'SHTF' - Most people will be 'Lucky' to be eating Half As Well as our Medieval-ancestors.. Only those of us 'Prepared, otherwise', will fare a mite-bit Better. (maybe) o_O

jd

OK, following-on to 'Medieval-style' (maybe) Dinner!

Din-WGuinn.jpg

..Grilled Salmon-steak (w/ butter, left-over 'blackening' rub / coarse Peppercorn / SeaSalt grinder) Broc, and 'Potato soup', with left-over Ital-sausage Bits, left-over Bacon chunks, more Green Onion, and a bit of left-over Esacarole.. Mmmm, Mmm! 👍 Oh, but I 'cheated' and had a Guinness. ☺️

Dang, these 'peasants' ate Great! :p (I mean, This ^ sure beats the heckfire outta 'McVomalds' ;)

jk, I mean, Pff - Really, this was ALL 'cheating' - It's not like I had to go yank the Salmon outta the River, Just to Eat, tonight (though, Honestly, I Wish I had Had-to.. Woulda been That-Much Better) Or, it's not like we had to slaughter one of Our pigs, for the 'Ham steak' this am, etc etc.. (..I Did grow the Green Onions, tho, so.. I guess that's a Start. :)

Point being: Yeah, When 'SHTF' - Most people will be 'Lucky' to be eating Half As Well as our Medieval-ancestors.. Only those of us 'Prepared, otherwise', will fare a mite-bit Better. (maybe) o_O

jd
I'd say its the POTATO that is the cheat.

Salt was discussed in this video. I remember that salt was valuable in those times. This is one of the reasons we should all have lots of salt in our food storage. I'm not talking about a dozen salt tubes such as Morton's salt. Salt, being a preservative, could be a barter item, and used as a preservative if we lose electricity for long periods of time, months and years.

Latest posts

Back