What was your last sewing repair?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I sewed buttons on my jeans for my suspenders. The problem was the buttons were junk. Everyone broke within a few weeks and I had to replace them.
I tried bachelor buttons. You just poke them through the waistband and pound the other side into that. Some of those would come apart eventually and I had to start over.

Yesterday, Olive-drab Cargos, main Button re-sew.. Mission accomplished. 👍

..The problem was the buttons were junk. ..

Yeah, I've observed that, also.. Soon as a pair of cargos / shirt, etc is determined to be 'EOL' (ie: 'OK, I just Cannot legit wear this in public anymore' (ie: blown-out crotch or something 'catastrophic'..) First thing I do (before turning into car-rags / gas-filter material, etc etc..) is Harvest those Buttons!! :cool:

pockets-for-tents-jpg.287136

..but also the Cargo pockets themselves, as they make Great 'organizers' for inside yer Canvas wall-tents (either sewn or fabric-glued on..) for holding Whatever.. Also, great for making 'hidden pockets' inside bags / packs, etc.. even for sewing 'pockets within pockets', for concealed-stash / cash, etc..

pockits-jpg.287138

..And, the smaller 'pouchy-style' make Great sling-ammo satchels (low-count carry..) and Excellent little 'EDC-FAK's, ie: here's my Own lil' EDC-FAK - one of several little tailored 'PocKits' ;) (..contents vary depending on what activities I'm planning on being-out doing) basically just these old repurposed mini Cargo pockets, ya know - to carry in my Cargo pockets, heh.. :)

attachment.php

(..'IFAK-B' meaning it's got more of a 'Bleed-focus').. Anyhoo, yeah - Sewing skills are Core Critical Survivalist Skills, imo, and certainly 'pave the way' for developing the knowledge / dexterity for more 'advanced sewing projects' - like Suturing. :)

jd

I sewed buttons on my jeans for my suspenders. The problem was the buttons were junk. Everyone broke within a few weeks and I had to replace them.
I tried bachelor buttons. You just poke them through the waistband and pound the other side into that. Some of those would come apart eventually and I had to start over.

@backlash The Holdup Suspender Company... The best ones on the market for the last 20 years. I own 8 sets. The clips NEVER come undone. Made in the USA.

http://holdup.com/

@backlash The Holdup Suspender Company... The best ones on the market for the last 20 years. I own 8 sets. The clips NEVER come undone. Made in the USA.

http://holdup.com/
I actually have a couple of pairs from them.
I like the trucker style but I have several different types.
Someone saw me wearing suspenders and a belt and asked why. My answer was I wear suspenders to hold up my pants and a belt to hold my holstered pistol. They didn't ask me any more foolish questions.

I actually have a couple of pairs from them.
I like the trucker style but I have several different types.
Someone saw me wearing suspenders and a belt and asked why. My answer was I wear suspenders to hold up my pants and a belt to hold my holstered pistol. They didn't ask me any more foolish questions.
Are you actually breaking the buttons?

I have a reusable shopping bag that has images of dogs on it, so I use it to take my stuff (dog dish, squirt bottle to squirt dogs who are misbehaving, tissues, dog poop bags, Nalgene bottle with water for me) to the dog park, and keep the leash in when we are in the park. Two corners were coming un-sewed about an inch, so I sewed them back up and then reinforced the other two.

I have several of Mike Lindell's "My Pillow" pillows. On one end is a special seam made to take apart so you can add or remove the stuffing... To customize it for the perfect sleep.

The last thing I sewed was that seam after I took stuffing out of 2 of my older pillows.

Yeah, I've observed that, also.. Soon as a pair of cargos / shirt, etc is determined to be 'EOL' (ie: 'OK, I just Cannot legit wear this in public anymore' (ie: blown-out crotch or something 'catastrophic'..) First thing I do (before turning into car-rags / gas-filter material, etc etc..) is Harvest those Buttons!! :cool:

..but also the Cargo pockets themselves, as they make Great 'organizers' for inside yer Canvas wall-tents (either sewn or fabric-glued on..) for holding Whatever.. Also, great for making 'hidden pockets' inside bags / packs, etc.. even for sewing 'pockets within pockets', for concealed-stash / cash, etc..

pockits-jpg.287138

..And, the smaller 'pouchy-style' make Great sling-ammo satchels (low-count carry..) and Excellent little 'EDC-FAK's, ie: here's my Own lil' EDC-FAK - one of several little tailored 'PocKits' ;) (..contents vary depending on what activities I'm planning on being-out doing) basically just these old repurposed mini Cargo pockets, ya know - to carry in my Cargo pockets, heh.. :)

attachment.php

(..'IFAK-B' meaning it's got more of a 'Bleed-focus').. Anyhoo, yeah - Sewing skills are Core Critical Survivalist Skills, imo, and certainly 'pave the way' for developing the knowledge / dexterity for more 'advanced sewing projects' - like Suturing. :)

jd
Awesome, taking it over the top!

No, they broke in the laundry.
I was going to say, if it was the buttons actually breaking, get electrical plugs and drill (smoothly) two holes. Sounds redneck for sure, but they wouldn't break. For thread, be sure to use buttonhole twist.

pockits-jpg.287138

attachment.php

jd

My mom told me that the crotch of her favorite jean blew out not long ago. She used a pair of my dad's jeans he no longer wore and patched the crotch area. They looked like the leather saddle patches you see in English riding pants.

54e255b16e3456823d8458bd353f5bd9.jpg

I repaired some of Roo and Juju's stuffed toys. Since teaching Roo to darn socks she is the one eager to repair anything and everything. So K has been wearing black socks with yellow patches from the darning thread.
🤪

I repaired some of Roo and Juju's stuffed toys. Since teaching Roo to darn socks she is the one eager to repair anything and everything. So K has been wearing black socks with yellow patches from the darning thread.
🤪
I still remember that one of my first posts in this forum was about darning socks and my kit for darning. I know that I mostly throw socks away that get holes in them, but I like having the kit and knowing how to darn socks, especially my wool blends.

Sunday at church, there was a guy wearing crazy striped socks and people were commenting. They were from the same maker, but didn't match. I always say, I'll bet he had another pair like that at home!

..I mostly throw socks away that get holes in them..

Oh, My Dear Ms Weedy - don't do That! Worn-out 'holey socks' - turned inside out - make Excellent 'car washing mitts' (especially for those 'hard to reach nooks/crannies', ie: wheels / door handle-wells, etc) since usually, most socks are kind of 'terry-cloth-like' inside.. :cool:

Also make Great: Dog washing 'mitts' (especially for the dreaded 'poopy-butt', cause Then ya can just 'toss the sock', after.. :) Tub washing mitts, Spider-web cleaners (gaff-taped to a broomstick) / Ceiling-fan dusters, etc.. Old Diesel-fuel 'gook filters' (if White sox, not 'dyed'..) when transferring to another container, etc, etc, etc..

Heck, a nice long tube-sock can even still be good as a - wait for it - Windsock! :) Lots of uses before they must leave this world via 'round filing'..

jd

There was a guy in my shop on an Aircraft carrier that bought 15 pairs of black nylon socks every payday. He wore a new pair every day and then tossed them out. He bought them in the ship's stores, they cost .30 a pair. Seemed like a stupid thing to do but to each his own.
I never wore socks that had been darned. Maybe with a hole in one but never one sewn up.

Oh, My Dear Ms Weedy - don't do That! Worn-out 'holey socks' - turned inside out - make Excellent 'car washing mitts' (especially for those 'hard to reach nooks/crannies', ie: wheels / door handle-wells, etc) since usually, most socks are kind of 'terry-cloth-like' inside.. :cool:

Also make Great: Dog washing 'mitts' (especially for the dreaded 'poopy-butt', cause Then ya can just 'toss the sock', after.. :) Tub washing mitts, Spider-web cleaners (gaff-taped to a broomstick) / Ceiling-fan dusters, etc.. Old Diesel-fuel 'gook filters' (if White sox, not 'dyed'..) when transferring to another container, etc, etc, etc..

Heck, a nice long tube-sock can even still be good as a - wait for it - Windsock! :) Lots of uses before they must leave this world via 'round filing'..

jd
I guess I am prepping for the EOTWAWKI because I have lots of socks. I have had trash bag full of unmatched socks that I finally threw away. Then daughter was cleaning out and decided her bag of unmatched socks should come to me. I matched what I could and threw the rest away. Too many sock that don't have a match and I have too much other stuff to relieve myself of.

pockits-jpg.287138

attachment.php

jd
When I first started reading your post, I had stopped at that first picture looking, thinking that would make a great organizer! And then I read on. I was actually thinking about sewing the "pocket squares" together. I know Granny had something like that hanging on the back of her bathroom door that had different band aids, Q-tips, cotton balls, along with other toiletries. Then I thought some of those pockets can be pretty big. Maybe even a shoe organizer to hang on the back of a closet door? Back of child's door could also be shoes or stuffed animals, toys. Just random thoughts I had if sewn together in a "quilt" type style. Ok, sorry just getting crazy ideas seeing all those pockets. :p

My last sewing project was taking up a dress that DIL had bought for granddaughter number 2 at the resignment shop that she needed to wear in son 3s wedding last Saturday. Before that was just sewing on buttons and patching up holes in shirts and pants, . . . nothing exciting, just a normal wear and tear type thing.

Latest posts

Back