What was your last sewing repair?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Will be making a dress to wear to my oldest son's wedding in October.
Also the jacket.
Have I mentioned I really don't like to put in zippers.lol
Me either, so I totally get that one, but when I have to, I do. I had made oldest grand a dress up princess dress for her birthday. Even though it was made out of stretchy material. I stressed with how long it may actually fit her so decided I had to add in a zipper under the arm side seam. I have not done many and in fact all this making of dresses for the girls and alterations I have been doing is a learning experience. Heck, doing oldest grands Storey Book costume, I had to actually look up terms used in the pattern. . .Yeah, I am that sad!

..I was actually thinking about sewing the "pocket squares" together. ..

Love it! Imagine (after collecting Enough of them to do it..) making a lightweight 'calico blanket' made of Cargo pockets / a bit of pant-trimming around them. :cool: And, in theory, could also make it with a 'backer layer', to add warmth / heft / durability, etc..

..Perfect for the 'bed-readers' of us - Great spot to tuck in yer: Paperback(s), tissue-pack (ya know - for the 'sad parts' ;) Favorite pair of readers in a hard-shell case (since, invariably, you'll Roll on 'em ;) Granola-bars / bag of almonds, etc, Bottle-water / whiskey-flask; butterscotches or 'starlight' peppermints, etc...

..Yer favorite pair of 'fuzzy socks' / Bunny slippers, etc, right at hand.. Heck - could even tuck in yer little Walther or LC9, etc, so'z All the Goodies / Necessities are right within yer reach - 'Cargo Calico Blankets'.. Who needs a nightstand?! :)

'Course, the 'universal Rule when doing the laundry' will Especially apply, in this case.. (don't forget to Empty Yer Pockets!! :)

jd

I guess I am prepping for the EOTWAWKI because I have lots of socks. I have had trash bag full of unmatched socks that I finally threw away. Then daughter was cleaning out and decided her bag of unmatched socks should come to me. I matched what I could and threw the rest away. Too many sock that don't have a match and I have too much other stuff to relieve myself of.
For future ref. 😊 Might ask at the local oil changing or mechanic shop if they would like them as rags. We pay $99/box of shop rags.

Yesterday, Olive-drab Cargos, main Button re-sew.. Mission accomplished. 👍

Yeah, I've observed that, also.. Soon as a pair of cargos / shirt, etc is determined to be 'EOL' (ie: 'OK, I just Cannot legit wear this in public anymore' (ie: blown-out crotch or something 'catastrophic'..) First thing I do (before turning into car-rags / gas-filter material, etc etc..) is Harvest those Buttons!! :cool:

pockets-for-tents-jpg.287136

..but also the Cargo pockets themselves, as they make Great 'organizers' for inside yer Canvas wall-tents (either sewn or fabric-glued on..) for holding Whatever.. Also, great for making 'hidden pockets' inside bags / packs, etc.. even for sewing 'pockets within pockets', for concealed-stash / cash, etc..

pockits-jpg.287138

..And, the smaller 'pouchy-style' make Great sling-ammo satchels (low-count carry..) and Excellent little 'EDC-FAK's, ie: here's my Own lil' EDC-FAK - one of several little tailored 'PocKits' ;) (..contents vary depending on what activities I'm planning on being-out doing) basically just these old repurposed mini Cargo pockets, ya know - to carry in my Cargo pockets, heh.. :)

attachment.php

(..'IFAK-B' meaning it's got more of a 'Bleed-focus').. Anyhoo, yeah - Sewing skills are Core Critical Survivalist Skills, imo, and certainly 'pave the way' for developing the knowledge / dexterity for more 'advanced sewing projects' - like Suturing. :)

jd
you can also make a nice possible's bag out of those cargo pants

IMG_1453.JPG

Awesome! Love it.. 👍 Will have to show that to my Son.. He's really into 'scratch crafting' (repurposing / reusing Old scraps of leather / moccasins / belts, etc, Similar to your bag, there..) and has a real 'Gift' for artisanry..

Here are just a few of his 'scrap satchels' and 'wire wraps' (made from transformer / copper, brass, and alum wire I gave 'im.. :cool: ) and stones / shells he either found or traded, etc..

CHWraps.jpg

..100% all 'DIY' / hand-hammered / wrapped / formed / stitched, etc.. Too bad Most people these days don't really 'appreciate' such craftsmanship.. (he's had people 'balk' at $15. - 20. for such pieces! o_O

I'll definitely show 'im yer Bag, I'm sure he'll be impressed... :cool:
jd

Awesome! Love it.. 👍 Will have to show that to my Son.. He's really into 'scratch crafting' (repurposing / reusing Old scraps of leather / moccasins / belts, etc, Similar to your bag, there..) and has a real 'Gift' for artisanry..

Here are just a few of his 'scrap satchels' and 'wire wraps' (made from transformer / copper, brass, and alum wire I gave 'im.. :cool: ) and stones / shells he either found or traded, etc..

CHWraps.jpg

..100% all 'DIY' / hand-hammered / wrapped / formed / stitched, etc.. Too bad Most people these days don't really 'appreciate' such craftsmanship.. (he's had people 'balk' at $15. - 20. for such pieces! o_O

I'll definitely show 'im yer Bag, I'm sure he'll be impressed... :cool:
jd
cool stuff
20191027_121059.jpg

here is an idea for your son. remove the watch pocket from an old pair of levis
add a belt loop strap with snap. now it is a credit card holder

note. i slid a piece of leather into the pocket to stiffen it up

..here is an idea for your son. ... the watch pocket .. i slid a piece of leather into the pocket to stiffen it up

Awesome, Part II! :cool: Great idea.. I could also see 'leather-Backing it' (either stitched or glued-on..) for a - ya know - 'Leatherback for yer Greenbacks'.. ;)

Also great for a 'clandestine wallet' (where you keep the 'real stuff'..) ie: whenever I travel internationally for Biz, I always make up / take a 'sacrificial wallet', so if some punk on a bus / metro, etc pops a shiv in my face and '..Gimme yer wallet and phone, Pops..' - OK, no problem - I give 'im the "fake" ones (broken / dead iPhone, and sac-wallet with, like, a couple bux and those 'starter / temp cards' you get when opening an acct - Totally dead - or from Old, closed accts, etc (just nothing with yer Name on it) or 'starter Pre-paid ones', etc..) and he's on his way..

..Not likely gonna 'stop to check if the Cards are expired / phone actually Works' (until he's back in his dark alley and blows his cork when he realizes He's the one who's been had.. :) Then, you still have yer 'real goodies', safe in Another pocket - in something that doesn't Look like a "wallet", like yer idea..

We'll have to 'co-open an Etsy shop' after the Bomb falls.. ;) Hah, jk.. Thanks, Fro..
jd

My latest sewing job was to the side of my face. My next-door neighbor cut out a sun lesion (dark patch) and finished with 3 stitches, which he pulled out 10 days later.

WINNER WINNER CHICKEN DINNER !!!!!!

HE is one bad Mother ''hush your mouth"
How old are you? can you finish that quote?

Latest posts

Back