What would you do faced with 50% inflation?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Last fall when the potato crop came in Kwik Trip, the Wisconsin based, and now in other states, wonderful gas stations for 10 pounds “restaurant Baker’s”
meaning large baking potatoes for $1.
After two weeks of that they raised to $2 for 10 pounds.
This year, crickets. Nothing about potatoes at all. Harvest was great but prices are sky high.

Dealing with inflation: I have never owned a pair of "slip-on" shoes, so ordered a pair from Amazon 60% off, when they arrived, they fit very well, so I instantly ordered another pair. That is one of the ways I fight my net-net-net experience of inflation.

Dealing with inflation: I have never owned a pair of "slip-on" shoes, so ordered a pair from Amazon 60% off, when they arrived, they fit very well, so I instantly ordered another pair. That is one of the ways I fight my net-net-net experience of inflation.
That is so much easier with men's clothes/shoes. It drives me crazy trying to find two of the same thing in women's.

Earlier in this thread Neb mentioned copper as an investment, I told a receptionist at our doctors office to look into copper as she was looking into investing, actually the main reason I mentioned for going into copper was because of all the electric vehicles and related infrastructure as well as all the big wind generators being made. As to any electrical wire, especially heavy wires for solar batteries, prices are enough to give a person a heart attack. For one 2' piece of #4 and 18 2/0 1'long wires for battery jumpers on the 24 new batteries was over $300.
One of the "fun" things about copper prices, when the prices of electrical wire goes up the thieves start hitting the construction sites and other areas of opportunity to steel the wire in the new buildings. That causes the builders to buy more and put a bigger drain on the supply side which raises prices and then the thieves can make more the next time around. I took MANY reports for wire theft around 1998 and again around 2005 to 2008, and some of the construction sites even had a security guard in the area, but I suspect they were in on the theft racket or they would have seen someone drive in to the area at night.
I still believe we are closing in on another house price crunch, with the rising interest rates and the skyrocketing house prices in many areas (including around me) it will only take one little hiccup or plannedemic to make people default on their mortgages and walk away from their homes. Hopefully I am wrong, but things look too much like 2008.

Oh HOW I WISH inflation was only 50%. Pretty much every year we need to replace the stove flue pipes and elbows going to the chimney. We burn a lot of wetter than it should be wood and they rust out fast. Last time I bought them they were $6.99 this year they were $16.99. I was shocked to say the least!

I was thinking of getting another finger grip stun gun. I carry it when I walk. Last one cost about $12-$15. Same one today on ebay $39.95. Not getting that now.
It’s still worth it Snap. You walk quite a bit. If you only have one or if the one you have isn’t reliable, I think you should splurge 😉

Went to the store this weekend for a couple things: chips $6, small bola bread $5.50, milk $4.79, box of club crackers $5.79.
Ran in today to get cinnamon rolls for work 😍. Saw something I’ve never seen before- 1/2 a bola of bread for sale. Granted it was “artisan” breads, but I’ve never seen a 1/2 loaf for sale. Didn’t check the price, was trying to hurry.

Now that was shocking!

I just ordered a new pair of boots, long overdue! The shocker was they were the EXACT same price they were when I last ordered a pair back in July 2021! Slightly over two years and I found something that I desperately need hasn't gone up in that time... AMAZING

Now that was shocking!

I just ordered a new pair of boots, long overdue! The shocker was they were the EXACT same price they were when I last ordered a pair back in July 2021! Slightly over two years and I found something that I desperately need hasn't gone up in that time... AMAZING
Now, now, this thread is supposed to be only for wailing and gnashing of teeth
76354-151b90dd9136ad1e6bf6ca687dc37b7c.data
;);).
Btw, the rate of our electric power in ¢/kilowatt hour, is still the same as it was in 2018, today:):thumbs:.
(I didn't want you to face the brick-throwing by yourself:))

Last edited:
Guess I'll put this here. I think the "official" inflation report comes out tomorrow. At the last FED meeting JP stated that Americans had more savings than they anticipated and are doing well 🙄
My observation: we were gone for Black Friday, but when we returned, there was very little activity in town (granted it was Sunday). This morning I had to go to Wmart, a regular grocer, and the PO - almost nobody anywhere! I parked right in front at all 3 stops. I also acknowledge that more folks are doing online shopping, but it still seems odd.

Guess I'll put this here. I think the "official" inflation report comes out tomorrow. At the last FED meeting JP stated that Americans had more savings than they anticipated and are doing well 🙄
My observation: we were gone for Black Friday, but when we returned, there was very little activity in town (granted it was Sunday). This morning I had to go to Wmart, a regular grocer, and the PO - almost nobody anywhere! I parked right in front at all 3 stops. I also acknowledge that more folks are doing online shopping, but it still seems odd.
We went shopping last week. I seldom know what day of the week it is but the wife said it was "black Friday". I expected to see mobs of people, of course in a town this size a mob would be 6 people. We managed to park up front and the check out line only had 3 people. Looked like any other day to me.
On Saturday we took the gkids up north about 200 miles to meet their mother. We went to a big farm/ranch supply store. Same thing, very few people.

we had inflation over here and at the worst it was only about 16%, its now gone down to just under 5%, target is 2%.
I would love to only have 50% inflation :mad:.
Got a battery for DW's car yesterday. Still had the receipt for the last one from a little over 3 years ago so it was out of warranty:(. Cost: $88.
Same identical one yesterday: $200.gaah
What percent inflation is that?
(hint: have some beer before you pull out your credit card)

We had a bad battery from Auto Zone, less than a year, same numbers. We had to pay the difference.
Everything. Absolutely everything has doubled or more. If you think that it hasn’t, look at the current item for sale. Smaller, at least. Maybe not the same quality.
Look at shopping carts in the store. To me it looks like careful shopping, few ‘extras’, even with the holidays.
Discouraging. But look at it this way. You’ve gotten ‘something’ for those low value bills. We might be wishing for these times in the not too distant future.

Back