What would you do faced with 50% inflation?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just a note on swapping out propane tanks. I do the same if I have an outdated tank because it's cheaper than buying a new tank.

Just be aware, the ones around here at least, Blue Rhino are not full. I traded out a couple and noticed they didn't last as long so I decided to weigh them. My Daughter worked at a place that filled them and swapped them so there was a scale there. A full Blue Rhino tank weighed in at 30 pounds consistently, that's 7 pounds below full. I pulled 4 tanks out of the swap bin and they all weighed 30 pounds. 37 pounds it what they should weigh when full.

A 20 pound cylinder weighs about 17# give or take a little, full it should be 37 pounds (20 pounds of propane), hence the term 20 pounder. They charge more for them and you only get 13 pounds of propane instead of the 20#.

Just a PSA for those that might not be aware.
Funny you should mention that. We actually stopped at a local propane supplier to get 3 tanks filled and they wouldn't fill one b/c it was outdated. We turned in the outdated one at another store and kept track of which one it was. The tanks that we had filled weighed in at 37# and the one that was switched out was 32#, so about 25% less full than the other two we had filled. Pretty soon it might be cheaper just to have them recertify the tank then it is to switch it out.

i know i am odd man out on several of my views..one being sanctions...since i am of the opinion god didnt die and leave us in charge of planet. but anyhow..when your base inputs are high..like oil/gas of various forms..you just aint having a booming economy...oh you will..but only for a few..but anyhow...i want all oil wells pumping..i dont give two craps what they do with cash from its sales...venezuela...pump that stuff..heck lets give'em some technical help...russia...pump it..fill europe up with gas so folks heating bill is more 'normal' and 'affordable'. iran...pump that crude...countries in africa...pump it...i want cheap gasoline and diesel and food production inputs.

Hope everyone is stacked to the rafters

YES!
Me and my brother went in together for those rock bottom sales Amazon was having on household essentials, like they had all the time before Covid!
We ordered tons of laundry soap, trash bags, toilet paper, etc. Also some pantry staples.
I did the math:
We paid $191.51
What it would have cost from Walmart: $396.94

That's a savings of $205.43!

I posted this before, I probably will again, when the price of fuel exceeds 5:00 per gallon, most food will be out of reach of the average working class person.
Hoard your goods NOW, Joe has three more years to F*** things up, a minor snot-fest with Russia WILL NOT save us. buy your dry goods, trap making tools, ammo and basics NOW!

I posted this before, I probably will again, when the price of fuel exceeds 5:00 per gallon, most food will be out of reach of the average working class person.
Hoard your goods NOW, Joe has three more years to F*** things up, a minor snot-fest with Russia WILL NOT save us. buy your dry goods, trap making tools, ammo and basics NOW!
I think it will be a little different than that.
The empty shelves they are already seeing in the 'bigblue' cities will become more commonplace.
The wealthy-elite who have no problem paying outrageous prices buying from Amazon, will corner the market.
It won't matter how much money you have on your EBT card, if the shelves are empty, you will still go hungry...
Or you will stand in the government ration-lines, just like the Soviet people did years ago. :confused:
USSR anyone? We have the right leadership👍. Price controls and nothing to buy?

Last edited:
Hit a couple stores for the weekly shop last night. Things were spotty, but not alarmingly so - I got everything on the list between the two stores. What did jump out at me was the detergent aisle at Wal-Mart was almost bare - even the Gain was front-loaded. It wasn't on my list, but I grabbed a couple extra boxes of our regular brand while it was available. Hopefully it's a temporary thing.

Attachments

• IMG_20220115_173020.jpg
    IMG_20220115_173020.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 13
If I was facing 50% inflation I would do the same things I do now.

Time to start coaxing wild meat in, lol. Went to Meijer today and thought I would grab some burger. Nope, ain't doing it.

We usually buy the bigger packs, typically 4 pounds on average. Less than one year ago I could get the same pack for between 7 and 8 bucks. Today they were 24 to 27 bucks. Same percentage ratio (80/20), same size.

150% inflation on burger. On the plus side they had chicken, there wasn't any there the last two times.

Time to start coaxing wild meat in, lol. Went to Meijer today and thought I would grab some burger. Nope, ain't doing it.

We usually buy the bigger packs, typically 4 pounds on average. Less than one year ago I could get the same pack for between 7 and 8 bucks. Today they were 24 to 27 bucks. Same percentage ratio (80/20), same size.

150% inflation on burger. On the plus side they had chicken, there wasn't any there the last two times.
Yes producing more of what we need will reduce demand for less product.

Unfortunately it not common practice to react to perceived shortages by acquiring less.

I talked to a fuy last week that told the story.

His girlfriend went in to the store to buy cat food and the shelves were bare. All she could find was 2 jugs of orange juice so she bought them. When she reported to him what she saw and bought he said...

We don't even drink orange juice!

Ben

No cat food here, or very low in most stores. I usually like to keep a couple tubes of biscuits in the fridge for a quick biscuits and gravy in the morning. I think they have become extinct, there hasn't been any in our store for almost 2 months.

No cat food here, or very low in most stores. I usually like to keep a couple tubes of biscuits in the fridge for a quick biscuits and gravy in the morning. I think they have become extinct, there hasn't been any in our store for almost 2 months.
So you would be willing to pay more if you did find the biscuits?

Ben

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/mar...ans-are-hard-to-come-by/ar-AAT1Pqv?li=BBnbfcL

Crafthaus just got a shipment of cans from California — the cans alone cost $3,000, but they must also pay for shipping, which is usually $300. This week, it cost them $3,200 just for shipping.

this is price gouging going from $300 to $3200..even if fuel doubled and more theres no way its jumped in price..even doubling peoples wages wouldnt do that...pure BS !

So you would be willing to pay more if you did find the biscuits?

Ben

Nah, we can just make them, it's just interesting to see none for weeks on end.

Just went to a Trader Joe's (Aldi owned) yesterday in a city we were visiting. Well stocked shelves (especially good looking produce, fruit etc) on every account UNTIL I went to buy frozen Cod, Salmon, Shrimp. We live where all we get is 1. frozen, 2. processed in China even if caught in Alaska. But TJ's always had many choices of non-China fish in the frozen section.

NOT ONE piece of COD/Haddock!! No salmon except pre-cooked (yuck) really expensive $13/lb small cuts of "wild caught"salmon which I could not tell if they were processed in China.

We eat so much meat I count on my every other month foray into the big city to get some freezer fish at least. :(

Really great staff at every TJ's I have been in during travels now and befor Covidia. Helpful and plentiful -- PRICES WERE GOOD, not great, but GOOD

Last edited:
Heads up oranges will be expensive now
https://www.freshfruitportal.com/ne...lest-since-wwii-sending-juice-prices-surging/
Citrus disease and bad weather are constraining supply of oranges in the United States and internationally.
That has sent orange juice prices higher during the pandemic, and they will probably continue to climb: Frozen orange juice futures have surged more than 50% during the pandemic, and they rose to a two-year high last week — soaring 5% alone Thursday.

consumers should expect "much higher prices at the supermarket."

Last week, the USDA said it expects Florida to produce 44.5 million boxes of oranges this year, an unusually small harvest. That would be the smallest since the 1944-45 season when 42.23 million boxes were produced, a Florida statistician with the USDA told CNN Business.

Another article:
Another Major Shortage Alert: The Florida Orange Crop In 2022 Will Be The Smallest Since World War II

The primary reason why the harvest is going to be so bad is due to a plague called “citrus greening disease”

There will be less oranges in our grocery stores, and those that are available will be much more expensive

So if you drink OJ better stock up on frozen now before the prices go much higher. I plan to, but I will also start getting more tomato juice (or V8) and more Tang (it does have vit C in it).

I drink oj every day for the vit C. I will also start adding more plant based C to my cooking.

I alreay pay $1 each for a navel orange here I can't imagine what the price will go up to soon (if we'll have any at all)

Heads up oranges will be expensive now
https://www.freshfruitportal.com/ne...lest-since-wwii-sending-juice-prices-surging/
Citrus disease and bad weather are constraining supply of oranges in the United States and internationally.
That has sent orange juice prices higher during the pandemic, and they will probably continue to climb: Frozen orange juice futures have surged more than 50% during the pandemic, and they rose to a two-year high last week — soaring 5% alone Thursday.

consumers should expect "much higher prices at the supermarket."

Last week, the USDA said it expects Florida to produce 44.5 million boxes of oranges this year, an unusually small harvest. That would be the smallest since the 1944-45 season when 42.23 million boxes were produced, a Florida statistician with the USDA told CNN Business.

Another article:
Another Major Shortage Alert: The Florida Orange Crop In 2022 Will Be The Smallest Since World War II

The primary reason why the harvest is going to be so bad is due to a plague called “citrus greening disease”

There will be less oranges in our grocery stores, and those that are available will be much more expensive

So if you drink OJ better stock up on frozen now before the prices go much higher. I plan to, but I will also start getting more tomato juice (or V8) and more Tang (it does have vit C in it).

I drink oj every day for the vit C. I will also start adding more plant based C to my cooking.

I alreay pay $1 each for a navel orange here I can't imagine what the price will go up to soon (if we'll have any at all)
I have lots of powdered Tang and Country Time Lemonade. If I ever have to drink odd tasting water, the drink mixes will hide the flavor.

Plus, I like them.

Latest posts

Back