What would you do faced with 50% inflation?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
for the last year ive been buying a can of auguson farms freeze dried whole eggs on amazon , just to have a couple, i used to pay $29 a can, then $34, then $39 is what i paid for the lqat one i got 2 weeks ago. today same can is $52. and wont arrive til end of may- early june. wont be getting any more, especially now as i learned how to waterglass eggs to preserve them.

i dont know how the average person will survive.

for the last year ive been buying a can of auguson farms freeze dried whole eggs on amazon , just to have a couple, i used to pay $29 a can, then $34, then $39 is what i paid for the lqat one i got 2 weeks ago. today same can is $52. and wont arrive til end of may- early june. wont be getting any more, especially now as i learned how to waterglass eggs to preserve them.

i dont know how the average person will survive.

Ditto that
Don't be average.

Ben

I have been dehydrating and freezing eggs; two dozen every other day. I don't like to put lights in the coop in winter and this way my hens get to rest.

Also, a closer neighbor does put lights in her coop and is over run with eggs winter and summer. To add a weird wrinkle to the situation, they don't eat eggs so she drops them off here.

My dogs eat a lot of eggs and I have a boatload of shells for my hens and garden. This is good as oyster shell is no longer available.

I have been dehydrating and freezing eggs; two dozen every other day. I don't like to put lights in the coop in winter and this way my hens get to rest.

Also, a closer neighbor does put lights in her coop and is over run with eggs winter and summer. To add a weird wrinkle to the situation, they don't eat eggs so she drops them off here.

My dogs eat a lot of eggs and I have a boatload of shells for my hens and garden. This is good as oyster shell is no longer available.

@ClemKadiddlehopper how are roads and such washed out from winter floods now?

They are working on them. Priority seems to be the lower mainland with the area connecting it to the interior and northern communities taking a lower priority. They did some pretty fast road and bridge work in some places. I hear they were working 24/7 with over 300 dump trucks plus heavy equipment.

My son has to drive to the lower mainland at times, and navigation in some places requires direct local knowledge of the detours the first time through as GPS hasn't got a clue. He says it takes an additional 2-3 hours to get through that part.

3/4s of the province doesn't care if they never get it fixed right and I am included in that number.

I am not sure how functional the rail lines are either, but I think they got that running single track pretty fast. I am not the best person to ask as I'm quite far away from that mess.

It may impact me in that the bridge washout that happened on my local road three years ago, may not get finished this year and I will have to keep using the 55km detour on a logging road to get to the store.

I went to the local grocery store for the first time in a very long time, since they pizzed me off with their Nazi mask rules last year. I went in b/c I only needed a couple of things and their bakery is seriously awesome and I wanted rolls for Easter dinner. I was shocked at the prices in that store. They have a limited produce selection b/c apparently nobody is shopping there anymore due to their ridiculous prices. Their Easter section only filled three shelves instead of the entire wall. I don't think it's b/c they couldn't get stock, but b/c they know it won't sell. I think they slit their own throats a year ago. I really hope they don't close b/c I like the option of going there in a pinch.....but they better do something different and FAST. I bought a few sale and reduced items along with the rolls and a gallon of milk for potatoes. It was the first time I've bought milk in many months. At $3.50 a gallon, I didn't think that was too bad. I was going to just buy a half gallon, but that was $2.99. For the .50 difference, I can send it home with someone who will use it.

The store was pretty well stocked. The deli prices were crazy high. Sliced turkey was $9 per pound and salami was $9 per pound as well. The gross Morell bacon was $7.99 per pound. Blech! I wouldn't buy that crap for $3 per pound.

At those prices, it's well worth it for me to travel the 40 miles or so to the closest town with an Aldi or big box store and fill the car.

I had a coupon and I thought buying another berkey would be a good purchase. I bought one a year ago and it was $120 for a pair of black filters and $279 for the unit with 2 black filters and 2 white ones.....for a total of $399. This week the pair of black filters were $166 and the unit with the 4 filters (as above) was $364.....for a total of $530. :rolleyes: I went ahead with the purchase anyways but feel crappy about just losing $131. Our dollar is melting right before our eyes. Still, I figured I'd rather have the extra berkey and filters than the dollars. At the same time, I feel good about already having some filters and an extra berkey in storage that I bought before the price jump.

I think we are very close (if not at) that 50% inflation rate, especially considering that gas prices and several food items have already surpassed that number. I got a notice that our utilities will be goiing up this month. Great. Propane prices have also gone up this month as well. When you factor everything in (and compare it to just a year ago), I truly think we are in a way higher inflationary period than what it being reported. This time, I don't think raising interest rates will do squat. Those who are/were savers have spent their wad on stuff b/c of the fear of inflation. Gaining an extra couple of percent interest on savings still won't keep up with inflation so people have NO incentive to save.

I spoke with a lady this week that I don't know very well. She told me to stock up and that she is prepping b/c she said this can't keep going on this way. It's going to break! She said she is going to plant a garden this year and she doesn't normally do a garden. Needless to say, I acted fairly neutral on the subject, only sharing that we will plant an extra raised bed this year and are getting a half cow this spring for the freezer, which is typical of folks in my area anyways. I also told her I was encouraging my family to stock up on sale items when they can. I was encouraged knowing that people are paying attention this time and may actually be DOING something to prepare.:thumbs:

We have an overabundance of eggs. I'm going to start dehydrating them.

have you tried waterglass method for egg preservation? i know some who do it with good results and i just strated it. supposed to get a good 8-12 months

Everything at Aldi seemed to go up from a week ago. Canned corn was 49 cents last week, today 55 cents. But everything else was up just like that. The bread and cookie aisle hardly had anything in them. Got buns, but went to Walmart to get bread. They advertised chicken quarters, but didn't get them in. I found them at Walmart, a higher price, but oh well. So did notice the two pack of Tyson whole chickens (at $1.12 a lb, was $1.00 a lb two weeks ago) actually is more expensive than buying a cooked whole chicken at $4.89 each. But I don't like all the weirdo seasoning they put on it. Husband can't have the salt.
Aldi buy today: a pound of split peas for 99 cents. One of those things they don't have often. I bought 15 lbs.

This is a little odd to mention, but I picked up a 6 pack of boxers for hubby. They were about $15 a year ago - today $25!
What brand? Amazon had some insanely cheap sales on Hanes & FOTL brand undies for the whole family earlier this month.
I got undies and bras for myself even though I didn't need them just because I couldn't resist the prices. I now have enough to last me longer than I will live LOL.

50% inflation is already here
went shopping today, animal feed is up 50 % , eggs at Walmart are now over $3 ( we don't need any but just saw that will need to increase our egg prices at the market) a box of stupid plastic quart freezer bags that used to be around $2 BC (before covid) is now OVER $7!!! I didn't buy it
no more seed potatoes to be found anywhere , have some planted already but wanted to get more since a bag of potatoes is now over $6

What brand? Amazon had some insanely cheap sales on Hanes & FOTL brand undies for the whole family earlier this month.
I got undies and bras for myself even though I didn't need them just because I couldn't resist the prices. I now have enough to last me longer than I will live LOL.
Haines

Just so you know: Pompeian Classic Olive Oil, Mild Flavor, 68 ounce
Walmart:
$8.98 Nov 4, 2021
$14.98 Today (less than 6 months later)

Our store does a BOGO on those, except they are 48oz. We just picked up 2 the other day for 15.59.

That's just from the price comparison's in my deal posts. I show how much cheaper Amazon is than buying it at Walmart (or other stores).

Right, I was just amazed at the difference in price from Walmart. Less money for a larger container over my store.

I did a little shopping last week. Well, the days of .98 bags of salad are long gone. Now they are 1.49. There's your 50% inflation right there.

Even Aldi prices are up from the last time I was there. Tortilla chips used to be .97 and are now $1.68. :oops: Block cheese is up in price again.....It used to be $1.69, then $1.79, now $1.85. I noticed the wild rice is now $2.09 per box. Wow! I used to be able to get it for .99. I was amazed that their bacon is still $4.19 for a pound of bacon. That is one price that I noticed has not gone up, so I grabbed another 8 packages just for good measure. Can a person really have too much bacon?

I noticed that Aldi seemed to be busier than I've seen it in a long time. I'm thinking folks are flocking to the discount grocery stores. Both milk and eggs were at around the $2.69 price, which is high for Aldi.....especially the eggs.

I have to give Aldi props though. They are not shrinking their packages....yet. I went to the grocery store to buy coffee that was on special and I had coupons too. The coffee container is now 24.5 oz. I looked at my stash of coffee at home and all of those containers are 30.5 oz or larger.

When you factor in both the shrinking packages along with the increasing prices, this inflation we are seeing right now is well above what is being reported. I'm sure summer gas prices will surge as well which will only increase prices further.:rolleyes:

Our Aldi is pretty busy, too. Noticed mayo (their brand) went up to $2.65 a jar, used to be half that, not too long ago. Husband never did any shopping, but now that he is retired as of last year, he goes. Doesn't always go in, waits in the truck. I am driving him nuts though, because it's not one stop shopping. If Kroger has a sale on something, I'll go there. Aldi for weekly stock up (more) and fresh stuff. Our local amish salvage store once a week at least, to see what they got in, and also a salvage store in the bigger town on Thursdays, when it's the cheapest. This last week was the first week in a while at the Kroger store. Sale for chicken thighs, KC steaks, and butter. That's all I bought. Wouldn't of said it was a sale, more like a normal price not long ago, but oh well.

ive been slowly stocking up on spices and flavorings, simple thiings like the packages of mccormicks spaghetti sauce---simple, right? i used to pay $12.00 for a box of 12. then $14.99, $15.00---to0day its $23. so i went looking for the large bottle, not bad ive used it before and its pretty good. for a 20oz bottle i paid $10.99 last year, today it is $29. i have stuff i can blend, cant live without spaghettis sauce right?
but its getting sad out there
pretty soon it will be too scry to go grocery shopping

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back