What would you do faced with 50% inflation?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I haven't been to town since Thurs. but saw $5.60/gal. Not to brag or anything, but we are above average 😂 😖
Well, the other thing is;), you better not tell anybody or they will want to take your place. :oops:

Please friends, do what I can't and buy lots of flour, meal and rice and beef up your livestock herds!
I've done all I have the money and room to do and I know its not going to be enough!

Ain't THAT the truth? I'm not going ANYWHERE unless I absolutely must, but at least the view from my window isn't bad... could be looking at Compton, North Philly or the Lower Bronx instead, lol. :oops:

I AM going to attend the horse races at Ruidoso Downs sometime this summer, and the rodeo here in Alamogordo too... maybe the rodeo on the Mescalero Reservation as well, that should be good. I love rodeo!!! :cool:

Cutting down on overall driving DOES save money... and for years, I've been in the habit of combining errands and missions so I only go to town once, instead of two or three different times. Just doing THAT saves plenty o' cash, lol. :)

I got a notification from Verizon today.

Important Billing Update!
Economic Adjustment Charge.

"Beginning June 16, 2022, Verizon Business will add the charge to newly activated and upgraded lines, existing lines that have completed a contract-based line term, and lines that have twelve (12) months or fewer remaining on a Device Payment Plan Agreement. The amount of the charge is $2.20 per month/line for each smartphone and data device, and $0.98 per month/line for each basic phone and tablet device. As lines meet these criteria, the charge will be automatically added to your bill. You can find the Economic Adjustment Charge in the Other Charges & Credits section of your bill."

So this is what we're calling it now? An 'economic adjustment charge'? In reading that statement, I think it would have been easier to list the lines not affected by their upcharges b/c it looks like it applies to pretty much all of them to me.

Inflation......It's not just products......it's services too. I know in my area services are going up b/c nobody can find workers and when they do, they have to pay them really well in order to keep them. Combine the increased costs of energy, increased costs of food and other products, increased costs of labor........it's an ever increasing death sprial. I shudder to think what our nation will look like a year from now. :(

Well, we have surpassed 50% on some items here, Gas, milk, eggs all up over 100%. Milk hasn't quite made it but it's close.

Two years ago a gallon of milk was 1.59, it was 3.09 2 days ago. Grade A large eggs were .99 cents, now they are 2.50. Gas was around 2 bucks a gallon, now over 5 and headed for 6.

Last edited:
Please friends, do what I can't and buy lots of flour, meal and rice and beef up your livestock herds!
I've done all I have the money and room to do and I know its not going to be enough!
I think you've mentioned limited space, but one thing that many don't think of but will is salt. I know I've mentioned it before, but think it worth repeating at least to y'all. Even if you don't need it, it will be a more valuable trading item than many things. In the past, salt was known in other countries as white gold. Nuf said.
I will continue to do what I can, but what I am watching daily for is einkorn. Harvest should start within the next month so I will be trying to get some ASAP.

I think you've mentioned limited space, but one thing that many don't think of but will is salt. I know I've mentioned it before, but think it worth repeating at least to y'all. Even if you don't need it, it will be a more valuable trading item than many things. In the past, salt was known in other countries as white gold. Nuf said.
I will continue to do what I can, but what I am watching daily for is einkorn. Harvest should start within the next month so I will be trying to get some ASAP.
Salt was currency.

"Not worth their salt."

Spoke of person that didn't earn their daily wages.

Ben

sanctions are killing russia...lol...while 330million suffer high prices a huge chunk of global population are just doing business as usual and or realigning supply line very fast...this is billions of population too. mrs. survival russia filmed in Moscow to show what going on there and not just in their little rural village stores.we are so stupid on so any levels.

Well, this is almost a 50% price increase so I thought I would share. Today working at Home Depot unloading the truck we received many boxes of the resealable 5 gallon bucket lids. Although these are not the "Gamma Seal" lids we used to carry they are apparently what was available to HD at this time. The Gamma Seal lids sold for $5.96 about 6 months ago, give or take, and these are now listed at $8.78. That is over 47% higher.
I suspect Home Depot is expecting people to be storing away more food because we NEVER got the GAMMA lids in this quantity, usually it was only 3 or 4 cases at a time. Today we received 48 cases. 6 years with Home Depot and they have never had a large display for these lids, just one small spot on the shelf near the buckets in the paint department.
I wonder where people will get the food to store, the local cannery for the LDS church is near empty and barely making it day to day with their shipments and many days they are closing early because they are out of food to sell. My uncle was there last month in the late morning and there were only a few cans or bags available scattered across the few pallets in the store room. He was told to come early in the morning but they could not tell him what they would be receiving until after it arrives.
1655796852773.png

1655797210955.png

I got a notice from Amazon (not sure why) that the 12 pack of ivermectin horse dewormer is available for $200. I bought the same thing at the end of 2020 for $40. I know ivermectin is suffering worse inflation than most things due to the Covid scam, but dang.

I had to buy Cream of Onion soup, which is hard to find. I ususally buy it during a $1 sale that our local grocer usually has, but hasn't hsd in a good long while. Those days are gone. I finally ran out of it b/c I use it in recipes. I bought a dozen cans with a coupon and it came out to about $1.30 per can. The coupon also required me to buy other things too, so it wasn't that great of a coupon.:(

The store flyers which normally have their 'specials' are getting pretty dull. Most of the products "on sale" are past regular prices. There's often times I will go through the flyers and not see anything impressive at all that would inspire me to go there.

Well, I went to the bank the other day and noticed the bills looked a little funny...
The lady said I would need them soon:
One of the new twenties I got :rolleyes::
IMG_20220724_155422_kindlephoto-18635395821.jpg

Last edited:
I posted a few weeks ago that the chips Hubby likes (local, freshly made tortilla chips) to go with his salsa suffered from "shrinkflation" meaning the bags were no longer filled to the tops. I was understanding due to everything going on. Today I went to get him more chips. They were $2.78 just a week and a half ago. Today they were $4.68! I had them do a price check. They were very nice and understood but it was the correct price. That's a 68% inflation rate.

Dole and Del Monte canned fruit, 14.5oz to 20oz cans.
Walmart has been raising prices 10¢ to 20¢ at a time for several months. They are now almost a full $1 a can more than they were back in the spring.
Amazon ha been having fewer and fewer deals on them, while I've been trying to stock up. Plus they keep going out of stock.

I'm going to try to get some from Sams while they have them and before prices go so high I'd have to hock the house to buy them.

Fresh fruits and veggies have also been going higher and higher. Potatoes and apples are just about out of sight. It's crazy!

Dole and Del Monte canned fruit, 14.5oz to 20oz cans.
Walmart has been raising prices 10¢ to 20¢ at a time for several months. They are now almost a full $1 a can more than they were back in the spring.
Amazon ha been having fewer and fewer deals on them, while I've been trying to stock up. Plus they keep going out of stock.

I'm going to try to get some from Sams while they have them and before prices go so high I'd have to hock the house to buy them.

Fresh fruits and veggies have also been going higher and higher. Potatoes and apples are just about out of sight. It's crazy!
they've been well over a dollar here for ages. BTW, I live in Georgia, the peach state, why in hell are we buying Chinese peaches? :mad:

I have, and I have been doing this my entire working career, kept my long term savings in precious metals. I have no faith in the market or in fiat currency. So when the dollar takes a dump, I think I am prepared. I have been a precious metal refiner and a consultant for refining precious metals my entire career, so I have outlets to exchange physical metal for currency if need be. And I also have a decent handle on recovering precious metals from ore in the ground all the way up to recycling grandpa's gold watch. So if, and when, inflation strikes for real, I think I'm prepared.

I went to Aldi for the first time in over a month. Prices were higher yet again.....as expected. 8 oz block cheese was $1.99....it was $1.79 the last time I was there. Sausage was $2.19.....1.99 the last time. BBQ chicken wings $8.99.....was $7.99 the last time. All the low carb and fiber bars were up. Honestly, I've lost track of how much higher they are then what they were since prices are going up almost every time I go in there. If THIS is the bargain store for food, the grocery stores must be downright scary! I rarely go to regular grocery stores anymore b/c their flyer sales are a joke and they don't even tempt me to walk through their door.

We took 3 people out (5 total) to fish fry over the weekend at a small tavern. it was $100 with tip and all but one of us had the fish 'special'. The serving sizes were small as well with only 3 small pieces of fish and a few fries. There was no need for a doggie bag.

The only bargains I can even find anymore are at garage sales b/c people don't know what their stuff is worth. The prices are going up so fast that people are selling their stuff for a fraction of what it used to cost them when they bought it, not what it would cost to get now.

I think it's important to know the price increases. I am presonally tired of our CIC telling us the economy is so good. Don't believe it. Pay attention. If this wears you down and makes you so angry that you can't prepare for what's going on, then you've got other issues.
Aw, c'mon now!
You are supposed to believe what you are told, not what you see.🤪
All is well! :thumbs:

Apparently a lot of people on this forum feel that the president of the United States controls the price of everything from gasoline down to a lowly jar of pickles.

It’s corporate greed. Keep allowing mega corporations to run the country, and milk the cows, and buy mega farms, and pass laws that favor that behavior and that’s what you get.

Stay away from Fox news and CNN, get news from reputable sources that tell both sides of the story. Things won’t get better in this country until we the people demand the truth and get those who don’t tell the truth out of power.

The majority of Americans are not represented by the extreme right or the extreme left, most are in the middle (leaning left or right) but surely not the extremes.

Apparently a lot of people on this forum feel that the president of the United States controls the price of everything from gasoline down to a lowly jar of pickles.

It’s corporate greed. Keep allowing mega corporations to run the country, and milk the cows, and buy mega farms, and pass laws that favor that behavior and that’s what you get.

Stay away from Fox news and CNN, get news from reputable sources that tell both sides of the story. Things won’t get better in this country until we the people demand the truth and get those who don’t tell the truth out of power.

The majority of Americans are not represented by the extreme right or the extreme left, most are in the middle (leaning left or right) but surely not the extremes.
Nah, the big corps own the pres. We're (or I am at least, can't speak for others) just sick of the pres. making it legal for them to steal from us, for the laws to only apply to the working class, and to be repeatedly lied to with no consequence.
This thread has been more of a heads-up as to what we are seeing in different areas and how we are/aren't able to cope with it.

Latest posts

Back