What would you do faced with 50% inflation?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I overheard hubby on the phone with a buddy of his. They were talking about pipe for a septic field. Hubby bought a skid of it this spring for $10 per stick for a project at hunting camp. The person he was talking to said they are now $18 per stick.

I just looked at an ad in the flyer for store brand coffee at $8.99 per can for 30.5 oz. :oops: I'm glad that I have plenty that I bought at $3.99, but it makes me wonder when I finally run out what the price will be then? I looked at another local flyer for a grocery store that had a disclaimer on the front page stating that sale prices could change by the time the effective dates of sale are distributed. I've never seen that before. Wow! Ain't inflation great?

I don't see this insanity getting any better any time soon. With governments around the globe messing with farmers and causing supply issues with farming supplies/fertilizer/fuel,etc., this just can't get better. Food and supplies are going to get sparce and expensive the further we go, especially with unchecked inflation. I think this is going to be an awful and messy winter if something good doesn't happen soon. I have a feeling that the November elections are going to be the tipping point.....one way or the other.

I'm hoping and praying every day for the best......but, I'm stocking up as much as I can (especially before winter) expecting the worst.

Last edited:
I have no idea how to deal with 50% inflation, I just picked up a sheet of plywood, the stuff I used to buy for $15 is now $45, that is not 50% inflation, that is more like 300% inflation!!! I see that Ford just laid off 3,000 workers, not a lot but I thing this is the beginning of a trend......

I overheard hubby on the phone with a buddy of his. They were talking about pipe for a septic field. Hubby bought a skid of it this spring for $10 per stick for a project at hunting camp. The person he was talking to said they are now $18 per stick.

I just looked at an ad in the flyer for store brand coffee at $8.99 per can for 30.5 oz. :oops: I'm glad that I have plenty that I bought at $3.99, but it makes me wonder when I finally run out what the price will be then? I looked at another local flyer for a grocery store that had a disclaimer on the front page stating that sale prices could change by the time the effective dates of sale are distributed. I've never seen that before. Wow! Ain't inflation great?

I don't see this insanity getting any better any time soon. With governments around the globe messing with farmers and causing supply issues with farming supplies/fertilizer/fuel,etc., this just can't get better. Food and supplies are going to get sparce and expensive the further we go, especially with unchecked inflation. I think this is going to be an awful and messy winter if something good doesn't happen soon. I have a feeling that the November elections are going to be the tipping point.....one way or the other.

I'm hoping and praying every day for the best......but, I'm stocking up as much as I can (especially before winter) expecting the worst.
I really feel for seniors and people with little savings, may be an awful tough winter ahead for them.

@angie_nrs I'm seeing coffee here for about the same as it always was. I wonder why there's a difference? It's not like coffee is grown locally and it's just a regional thing. It's a little higher, like everything else. My preferred drink powder that I mix into my water has gone up from 1.59 to 1.74, so about 10%. That sucks, but it's not as bad as a lot of things.

@angie_nrs I'm seeing coffee here for about the same as it always was. I wonder why there's a difference? It's not like coffee is grown locally and it's just a regional thing. It's a little higher, like everything else. My preferred drink powder that I mix into my water has gone up from 1.59 to 1.74, so about 10%. That sucks, but it's not as bad as a lot of things.
I just went to my local grocery store yesterday, which I don't normally do b/c their prices are high. They had their store brand on sale for $9.99 for the 30.5 oz can. They had Maxwell house next to it on their shelves with the 'store special' of $17.99 per can. I think I mumbled an explitive under my breath when I saw that! :oops:

I remember talking about coffee in a different thread several months ago......that folks should stock up since coffee is not made here in the USA. I thought that made a lot of sense and stocked up. I probably have enough for a few years and paid between $3.99 and $4.99 per can when it was on sale. I remember some old guys looking at my cart and making a comment about it. LOL! I didn't know I had brown gold in my cart at the time.

Spike, what are you seeing for price on a large can of coffee in your travels?

We have been burning through 4" flap sander discs. Went to buy some more and they raised the price from $6.49 to between $17.00 - $26.00 a disc depending on the store.

We found some at Bumper to Bumper at the old price and bought them out. I am officially a hoarder. That's how I deal with 50% inflation.

Anything with a lot of plastic in it is exploding in price. Industry is being shut down everywhere and time is running out fast to get it while you can.

I bought half as much groceries for the same price as back pre-retard era.
I'm going to get myself another crock pot and live on soup and beans. I
hope the cats like collard and lima bean stew!

Inflation as measured by the consumer price index reflects the annual percentage change in the cost to the average consumer of acquiring a basket of goods and services that may be fixed or changed at specified intervals, such as yearly. The Laspeyres formula is generally used.
  • U.S. inflation rate for 2021 was 4.70%, a 3.46% increase from 2020.
  • U.S. inflation rate for 2020 was 1.23%, a 0.58% decline from 2019.
  • U.S. inflation rate for 2019 was 1.81%, a 0.63% decline from 2018.
  • U.S. inflation rate for 2018 was 2.44%, a 0.31% increase from 2017.

@angie_nrs I will look and see what coffee is locally right now. I haven't bought any but Black Rifle Coffee for a few weeks, so I might be a bit behind. Report to follow...
She said coffee is not made in the U.S. True, the beans are grown overseas, but ours is still made local, in Baton Rouge (about 50 miles from me).
Here's the medium-roast stuff that most people like, (that are not hardcore Cajuns):
Screenshot_20220827-140635.png

46 oz, 2.8lbs. - $27.99 for other folks, $22.39 for us members ($7.99/lb).
The Dark Roast that we drink (with the near-lethal level of caffeine :oops:) is the same price.

Last edited:
At some point (I estimate less then 24 months) the U.S. Dollar will have lost most of its global "Reserve Exchange" value, I would expect a rapidly rising cost of nearly everything by roughly 30%.

@angie_nrs I will look and see what coffee is locally right now. I haven't bought any but Black Rifle Coffee for a few weeks, so I might be a bit behind. Report to follow...
OK, so what I saw today is that Folgers/Maxwell House type coffee is a bit over $4 a pound here. So yeah, it has gone up just recently. A 2lb, 10 oz tub of Maxwell House is 9.64 at Walmart. 2 lb, 4 oz of Folgers is 9.98 so around 4.50 a pound. Luckily I am set for a while because I've got a tub of folgers and a bag of Black Rifle too...

She said coffee is not made in the U.S. True, the beans are grown overseas, but ours is still made local, in Baton Rouge (about 50 miles from me).
Here's the medium-roast stuff that most people like, (that are not hardcore Cajuns):

46 oz, 2.8lbs. - $27.99 for other folks, $22.39 for us members ($7.99/lb).
The Dark Roast that we drink (with the near-lethal level of caffeine :oops:) is the same price.
Most American coffee companies buy the beans from South/Central America and process them here.
The situation this year:
Brazil, which produces almost half of all the coffee in the world, lost 1/3 of their crop due to a combination of frost damage and drought.
Colombia had too much rain, so their coffee just kind of rotted!
Several other South and Central American countries also have lower than expected harvests - primarily due to drought.
Vietnam lost a lot of their coffee crop to drought.
And so on.

Price increases will probably be insidious like everything has been. Coffee will be just a little bit higher each time you buy it. That makes it hard to notice that in 6 months, it may be 50% more than it is now.

(Brazil, Colombia and Vietnam together produce almost all the world's coffee).

Most American coffee companies buy the beans from South/Central America and process them here.
The situation this year:
Brazil, which produces almost half of all the coffee in the world, lost 1/3 of their crop due to a combination of frost damage and drought.
Colombia had too much rain, so their coffee just kind of rotted!
Several other South and Central American countries also have lower than expected harvests - primarily due to drought.
Vietnam lost a lot of their coffee crop to drought.
And so on.

Price increases will probably be insidious like everything has been. Coffee will be just a little bit higher each time you buy it. That makes it hard to notice that in 6 months, it may be 50% more than it is now.

(Brazil, Colombia and Vietnam together produce almost all the world's coffee).
They say that every year to boost prices.
Coffee Futures - Reality:
Coffee Rally Pauses as Prices Consolidate
Barchart - Fri Aug 26, 1:25PM CDT December arabica coffee (KCZ22) on Friday closed down -1.40 (-0.58%), and Nov ICE Robusta coffee (RMX22) closed down -33 (-1.43%).
Coffee prices Friday posted moderate losses as they consolidated this week's rally. Coffee prices have increased sharply this week and posted 6-month highs on concern that excessive dryness in Brazil will reduce coffee yields and curb global coffee supplies. Somar Meteorologia reported Monday that Minas Gerais received no rain in the past week or 0% of the historical average. Minas Gerais accounts for about 30% of Brazil's arabica crop. Also, Climatempo on Monday forecasted no rain for Brazil's coffee-growing regions through the rest of this month.
Maxar Technologies said Monday that La Nina weather conditions are likely to last through the end of the year, which suggests below-normal rain for Brazil through year-end. That would exacerbate drought conditions and further stress Brazil's coffee crops.
So, why did the price of coffee beans go down?
Maybe the 'bean-counters' (pun) have been able to calculate the effect of the weather on the actual crop yield.

Last edited:
Okay, I'm not a coffee drinker but I do know that there are 2 thing associated with the price of a commodity, supply and demand. If supply is expected to go down and the price is also going down, that would indicate that the demand is also going down. When I was going into the office every day there were a lot of people who drank coffee, they had coffee clubs to pay for the precious brew. But now the establishment is trying to get people to go back into the offices and many are refusing. I wonder if coffee demand is also taking a hit during this time of change?

That's what hit me. I don't need to buy any coffee for quite a while, but it's now 100% higher than what it was the last time I bought it.
But now the establishment is trying to get people to go back into the offices and many are refusing. I wonder if coffee demand is also taking a hit during this time of change?
Coffee drinkers will still drink it even if they aren't back to work in the office. They'll make and drink it at home or they will go their coffee shop, so I doubt demand would be affected much.

As a kid during the first great recession, sometimes we burned corn and boiled it with an egg shell to kill the bitter to use as coffee.

No really, we did.

pickled jalapenos are over $6 a jar now if yo find any to buy. i have been staying out of stores this year mostly. i used up hot peppers i had for refrigerator pickled hot peppers and strung the rest up to dry. revolt and buy nothing and produce. heated my brine up and poured it over,let cool and put in fridge and wait a week or two.i dried peppers before but not on a string.its so humid here its hard to dry stuff. so we shall see.

DSC00834.JPG

DSC00838.JPG

Wow, that's expensive. I've got tons and tons of peppers right now. I've dried them in the past, but am freeze drying them this year cuz I can. A cousin of mine loves when I give her extra peppers. She pickles them for her husband, the hotter the better, and he goes through about 3 pints a month.

Hey everyone, check the potato prices in your local store today and see if they've gone way up in the last few days.
In a group on Facebook that's not mine, people were posting prices, so I started a topic in my own group and people checked their stores online prices, and almost everyone is seeing about 50% higher prices in the last few days. Some stores are lagging and haven't gone up yet.
I did some googling and restaurants are having trouble getting their potato orders filled!
Here's one link:
https://hoosieragtoday.com/is-there-a-us-potato-shortage/

pickled jalapenos are over $6 a jar now if yo find any to buy. i have been staying out of stores this year mostly. i used up hot peppers i had for refrigerator pickled hot peppers and strung the rest up to dry. revolt and buy nothing and produce. heated my brine up and poured it over,let cool and put in fridge and wait a week or two.i dried peppers before but not on a string.its so humid here its hard to dry stuff. so we shall see.

View attachment 93344

View attachment 93345
When I was a kid, we had a spare room nobody wanted because the sun was on it all day (No A/C back then.) and it stayed dry in there continually, nothing ever mildewed, even the peaches and apples, likewise, when I got to GA. (a fairly humid place!) My aunt had a special car, a 1973 station wagon with the seats jerked out and replaced by a pallet to put her drying trays on and a little box fan to move the air. if you get a car with a good seal, you know how hot they get!

last fall rolled oats were $26 a 50# called grocery store yesterday and check to see if in stock and price $40 a 50# now.

I had a recent trip to Aldi. I haven't been there in about 3 weeks. Again, prices on the rise. Those chicken wings that were $7.99, then $8.99, are now $9.49. :mad: I left them in the freezer. Their canned green beans, corn, and some other veges were .58 which is the same price as WM. I bought a lawn chair $24.99. I bought a similar one last year for $16.99. The club TP I stocked up on at $16.99 is now $22.99. I'm glad I don't need any. Raisin boxes were .99, now $1.19. Eggs were $2.09/dozen, but I get them from a family member. I just can't believe the prices.

Aldi used to be a great alternative to the high prices of WM or local grocery stores, but their prices now are almost in line with other stores. I went to 4 different stores to get the flyer prices and deals at each one. I usually stock up at Aldi, but at this point, I might as well go elsewhere b/c they really aren't competitve on most things anymore.:(

We have been burning through 4" flap sander discs. Went to buy some more and they raised the price from $6.49 to between $17.00 - $26.00 a disc depending on the store.

We found some at Bumper to Bumper at the old price and bought them out. I am officially a hoarder. That's how I deal with 50% inflation.

Anything with a lot of plastic in it is exploding in price. Industry is being shut down everywhere and time is running out fast to get it while you can.
Flapper discs - look up Empire Abraisives.

Latest posts

Back