What would you do faced with 50% inflation?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow just WOW I do believe I may have entered the twilight zone. As if those laying hen prices weren't bad enough I just saw another add for heritage hog piglets for sale for $350 each. This is also about a 1000% increase in less than two years as they were selling for $30 summer before last!

I had to stop by the store for a couple things while I was out. I came home with 6 plastic bags and 2 gallons of milk..............for a hundred bucks.

I had maybe 12 items total. 3 of the bags only had one item in it.

Eggs are anywhere from 3 to 9 dollars a dozen, burger is still around 7 dollars a pound, one pound of butter was 5 dollars, a loaf of bread has doubled in price to almost 2 dollars a loaf (we buy store brand because we like it) it used to be less than a buck.

As a business owner, I track expenses very carefully. This year's business expenses are 50% higher than last years.

What am I doing different? I am delaying capital expenditures. I'm driving less and rationing diesel. I'm dickering and shopping more. And I'm being kind to my customers, because they're in the same boat.

As a business owner, I track expenses very carefully. This year's business expenses are 50% higher than last years.

I always tracked expenses carefully, even in good times.

I'm glad I sold mine, the cost of doing business this year would be horrible.

HOLY MOLY guys! Amazon had these kind of sales ALL the time before the pandemic, then they pretty much stopped, until now!
Example in pic, click here: Daily Deals: January 24, 2023 - Deal Busters
I've noticed that very recently the grocery deals have been getting better, that gives me some hope!

Attachments

• zinc.jpg
    zinc.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 0
Out of curiosity, I looked at the deals. I have never bought a single item shown. I haven't even looked at them until now, and I still wouldn't have any inclination to buy any of them. Hardware and farm stores are my achilles heel and even those are losing their attraction. Too much junk.

Last edited:
Out of curiosity, I looked at the deals. I have never bought a single item shown. I haven't even looked at them until now, and I still wouldn't have any inclination to buy any of them. Hardware and farm stores are my achilles heel and even those are losing their attraction. Too much junk.
I periodically post some good hardware deals.
For a while I was posting tons of deals on livestock and poultry supplies, but nobody was buying them, so I gave up.

I periodically post some good hardware deals.
For a while I was posting tons of deals on livestock and poultry supplies, but nobody was buying them, so I gave up.
Maybe it's just montana but I buy all my poultry supplies locally. I go on line for specific other things so following special deals just gets me buying things I don't neccisa
rily need.

Ladycat,

I am not criticizing. You are doing a public service for all here. Where I live in 🇨🇦, shipping is not an option anyways. About the only animal supplies I buy any more is feed. It's my weak spot over time.
Purchased 25 foot of 10-2 wire today for $72. Almost $3 a foot!

Ben

Here is an 11 min. video. I like this site - he lays out the good and the bad. Since I've been watching, he's not made any "off" claims.

Reactions: Neb
As a "prepper" are you prepared for how you would manage under a daunting 50% inflation rate? How would you heat/cool your home, feed the family and pay the bills? Would your big fancy home and SUV be foreclosed on? Would your employer still be able to afford to keep you on the payroll?

Tough questions. We aren't immune to the fallout from the world financial Ponzi scheme in the US/Canada/Europe.

Poll shows Argentines expect inflation to hit 50% in next year
Well as a person who lives on a very small income, less than $500 a month I can tell you what I do to save money. Nothing fancy. I took one month when I started living on a smaller income and I took one full month to look at my spending and bills. Then I got rid of what I did not need to have.

I then started looking around my home inside and out and found ways to save money. I have been working on one item at a time making my cost of living go down. From getting reusable items to finding better ways to do things.

It has been 4 years since I started living on a small income and I am really enjoying living a simple life. It takes time to save money, but it is worth it to be able to provide for myself in a good healthy way.

Well as a person who lives on a very small income, less than $500 a month I can tell you what I do to save money. Nothing fancy. I took one month when I started living on a smaller income and I took one full month to look at my spending and bills. Then I got rid of what I did not need to have.

I then started looking around my home inside and out and found ways to save money. I have been working on one item at a time making my cost of living go down. From getting reusable items to finding better ways to do things.

It has been 4 years since I started living on a small income and I am really enjoying living a simple life. It takes time to save money, but it is worth it to be able to provide for myself in a good healthy way.
Welcome and Hi Faith! Head over to "new member introductions" and tell us a little about yourself!

Hens used to be about $5 a piece in our area. Now chicks are $5 a piece. Hens are $15 to $20 a piece. Roosters are $10 now, unless they are fancy.
A friend just told us that chicks are going for $20 each, thankfully our friends gave us barred rock chicks for my wife's birthday and now those hens, plus the 7 road island reds they got at the same time and are still in our chicken coop, lay between 12 and 17 eggs a day. We take eggs to our son and he says they are like gold, last time we were in
Costco, they had no eggs.

Last edited:
. I took one month when I started living on a smaller income and I took one full month to look at my spending and bills. Then I got rid of what I did not need to have.

Hello Faith, welcome
The same as yourself, here. I do it every two years roughly, to see what can be shaved off expenses. I'm keeping all of Jan and Feb receipts to see what stupid stuff I'm buying that I don't need, an monitor prices in different stores. I've noticed the shops like Lidl and Aldi really aren't the value they used to be. I also think - and I've been looking at this since Lidl arrived here- half the reason folk rave about them being cheaper is because the selection is less; therefore they are not buying non-essentials randomly, like expensive biscuits. They've been fooled, in a way, into believing that shopping costs less.

Hello Faith, welcome
The same as yourself, here. I do it every two years roughly, to see what can be shaved off expenses. I'm keeping all of Jan and Feb receipts to see what stupid stuff I'm buying that I don't need, an monitor prices in different stores. I've noticed the shops like Lidl and Aldi really aren't the value they used to be. I also think - and I've been looking at this since Lidl arrived here- half the reason folk rave about them being cheaper is because the selection is less; therefore they are not buying non-essentials randomly, like expensive biscuits. They've been fooled, in a way, into believin

Hi good morning. I have chickens, rabbits and am getting ready to grow a garden in a greenhouse. Nothing fancy, but it does cut down on the grocery budget. I do shop deals, but I am from a big family, and everyone shares with one another. My brothers hunt and fish, so they share with me. I have found if you ask your local stores when they put their produce and meats on sale, they will gladly let you know. That way you can stock your freezer for less. Here it is Fridays when they markdown their produce and meats. Might be worth the call to see when your stores lower prices. Ask for the manger when you call sometimes others who answer the phone doesn't know when markdowns happen. I hope you have a wonderful day.

Hi Faith, good to see you and welcome aboard.

I've noticed the shops like Lidl and Aldi really aren't the value they used to be. I also think - and I've been looking at this since Lidl arrived here- half the reason folk rave about them being cheaper is because the selection is less;
I agree. I haven't been to Aldi in a couple of months and that was my usual grocery store. Now, I go to the clearance section at the big grocery store and shop the flyer sales and still get the same price as what Aldi now has. I also won't get my bagged lettuce from Aldi anymore b/c the last time I got it many months ago, it tasted like formaldehyde....all 3 bags. It was gross! I took it back and complained......never again. I used to get staples like cheese and eggs there. Now I just buy cheese on sale and get the eggs from people with chickens.

So in attempt to figure out what is causing our power bill to be outrageous, the heater is old, we put in a request to have our meter tested and I’ve pulled last year’s bill. The rate increase over the past year is 17.7% for the first 600kwh and a 12.8% increase for over 600. What is that supposed inflation rate 6.4% 😂

Spoke and texted back and forth with a friend this weekend. She lives in ND. She was asking about laundry soap since she knows I make my own and prefer non-perfumed etc. She said what she'd been using keeps going up. Later, she texted.
Texted that she went and got some: sticker read $15.49 but rang up as $9.99 and she thought well at least it's only a dollar more than last time. Then she got home and looked since we'd talked about it. Last time was 150 oz for $8.99. What she'd just purchased was 105 oz for $9.99. That works out to about a 37% increase per ounce just in the time it took her to use one container. And that's at what it rang up at not at the sticker price. 😧

Last time was 150 oz for $8.99. What she'd just purchased was 105 oz for $9.99.
They're doing this everywhere. Below is what I got a few weeks ago. I guess they don't want to, ahem, resize the box. So they just put less in it.

They could label this "We've made some changes! But it's the same great product you've always known and loved!" That might work for people who consider the box to be the product.

crackers.jpg

They're doing this everywhere. Below is what I got a few weeks ago. I guess they don't want to, ahem, resize the box. So they just put less in it.

They could label this "We've made some changes! But it's the same great product you've always known and loved!" That might work for people who consider the box to be the product.

View attachment 109945
That one is crazy!

Laundry soap is really bad. The price has gone up from $17 to $26 and the jugs are smaller and indented on the sides as well.

Two years ago I bought 3 years worth and the fixins to make another 4 years worth. Between that and butter more than doubling in price, my investments are doing well.

At the Costco in the 'big' city last wednesday, they had 4L jugs of dish soap for $5. The pallet load had something heavy stacked on it and a bunch of the bottles were a little squished and they leaked all over the rest.

No one was buying. I offered the manager $3 a bottle for the lot and he accepted. I had the flat bed trailer and they loaded the whole pallet on it. When I got home, I unboxed the mess and used the hose on them. Turns out only the top layer was damaged and the rest was just slimey. I now have a life time+ supply of dish soap.

Laundry soap is really bad. The price has gone up from $17 to $26 and the jugs are smaller and indented on the sides as well.

Two years ago I bought 3 years worth and the fixins to make another 4 years worth. Between that and butter more than doubling in price, my investments are doing well.

At the Costco in the 'big' city last wednesday, they had 4L jugs of dish soap for $5. The pallet load had something heavy stacked on it and a bunch of the bottles were a little squished and they leaked all over the rest.

No one was buying. I offered the manager $3 a bottle for the lot and he accepted. I had the flat bed trailer and they loaded the whole pallet on it. When I got home, I unboxed the mess and used the hose on them. Turns out only the top layer was damaged and the rest was just slimey. I now have a life time+ supply of dish soap.
Always ask!! Excellent score Clem!!

Earlier in this thread Neb mentioned copper as an investment, I told a receptionist at our doctors office to look into copper as she was looking into investing, actually the main reason I mentioned for going into copper was because of all the electric vehicles and related infrastructure as well as all the big wind generators being made. As to any electrical wire, especially heavy wires for solar batteries, prices are enough to give a person a heart attack. For one 2' piece of #4 and 18 2/0 1'long wires for battery jumpers on the 24 new batteries was over $300.

Latest posts

Back