What would you do faced with 50% inflation?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The 50% percent inflation presented as this threads topic , I actually consider being optimistic of the future . I expect in a few years 50 % inflation and likely more will roll over on a yearly bases . I don't expect things to get better at the end of the first Biden / Harris reign , but to continue the economic collapse . My reasoning is , if they rigged their rise to power , I see no reason to expect them to hold an honest election next time and lose their power over the masses . Look at Venezuela to see our future .

Fortunately my property taxes are relatively low at just under $400 a year. Of course, about the only service I get are highway maintenance on the only paved road in the area the size of West Virginia. No fire department, police department, schools, etc.

But I do greatly fear that my property taxes going up.

Property taxes have been a concern of mine. Inflation or not. Between 2008 and 2016, i struggled to pay my bills, property taxes included. I had a building in town that i had bought years ago. I had installed central hvac and two restrooms. Did a bunch of work on it. I am a builder. Rented it out, sold it land contract. Guy got way behind and walked away.

It was a struggle during those years to pay the property taxes especially with everything else. I gave the building to a local church for their food pantry.

I use to be very ambitious. After those years I have different thoughts

Converting money into tangibles.
Home/vehicles would actually be good to have a loan on since the loan would be paid for in inflated dollars that now have less value then when you bought.

Also converting currency into gold/silver and/or ammo/guns/tools/tires/lumber

Converting money into tangibles.
Home/vehicles would actually be good to have a loan on since the loan would be paid for in inflated dollars that now have less value then when you bought.

Also converting currency into gold/silver and/or ammo/guns/tools/tires/lumber
I do the second part of what you said. What you said about debt makes sense in inflationary times, but I just CAN NOT convince myself to go into debt for anything. Debt is a form of slavery that I just can't embrace.

The property taxes (as I recall) are capped at a certain percentage per year no matter what property in the district sell for. However, our crafty politicians could certainly find a way around that. You know.....for the good of the country. Tax the crap out of property owners b/c they can afford it right? Perhaps this is how they will steal the land away from rural Americans. It wouldn't surprise me one bit! Although, if they try that, I think they'd better be prepared for a Revolution.

Last edited:
Speaking of 50% inflation we're surely seeing it and more now. For example the pack of TP we picked up today was on sale for $14.30 regular $16.99 in January the same identical pack was $8.99 on sale and $9.99 regular price. Insanity is coming your way be ready to deal with it!

I remember in the Carter days prices went up much faster than wages and buying power went way down, it was a full decade before things settled down. If history repeats itself, I think we could be in for a long rough patch.... I don't want spend a decade eating popcorn and ramen noodles again......

I remember the Nixon years! His policies darn near bankrupted the country! Talk about runaway inflation!!! Carter was tame next to Nixon!

You mentioned dog food. That caught my eye last week. Science Diet was running about $53 earlier this year, give or take a dollar. This week- $68.99. One of the things disproportionately jumping in price.

I got so spoiled always saving more than half on dog and cat food at Amazon over Walmart/Pet Store prices by stacking the 40% off coupons with the 15% S&S discount.
This was the situation until a few months ago. Now, prices are UP!, and sales/coupons are almost non-existent!
Now my pet food stock pile is shrinking at an alarming rate, and I'm looking at sinking some serious bucks into pet food. :eek:

And then there's the price of chicken food.... :confused:

I have developed my supply list for next summer’s major projects. Today I am doing inventory of what I have on hand and will start moving what I have into their winter storage location. Based on my supply list for next year‘s projects and what I have on hand, I have decided to buy now what extra I need for next year. Tuesday morning I am taking my truck and empty trailer into town to Spenards Building Supply and will load up with what I need for next year.

I will need to get everything stashed for the winter over the next two weeks.

I'm glad we built the metal building, which is finished now. Tuesday we'll start bringing home loads of pellets.
8 skids total. The guy said they'd be going up in price, so I'm glad we locked in our price.

I am purchasing food, and more food, and more food, and more food. I am not sure when my time of earth is scheduled to end. I am fairly sure I will require food till then. I notice people post price inflation numbers for food. I have no idea where they get those.

I however get 90% plus of my food from Amazon.com and so I can go back and review the invoice for every purchase. It is shocking how many thing are up over 80% in the last six to ten months. A lot is up 40% to 60%, and some (not much) is roughly unchanged in price.

I am purchasing food, and more food, and more food, and more food. I am not sure when my time of earth is scheduled to end. I am fairly sure I will require food till then. I notice people post price inflation numbers for food. I have no idea where they get those.

I however get 90% plus of my food from Amazon.com and so I can go back and review the invoice for every purchase. It is shocking how many thing are up over 80% in the last six to ten months. A lot is up 40% to 60%, and some (not much) is roughly unchanged in price.

I also get most of my food from Amazon. But I've actually cut back the amount I'm getting in the last few months because I'm only one person and I have too danged much food!

But yes on the price increases. I keep records of thousands of store and Amazon grocery prices, so I've been watching prices going up while package sizes/quantities are getting smaller.

Amazon is still having fabulous grocery sales (except for pet food), but they're a little more work than usual to find them, plus, they sell out much faster than they normally do, especially pantry staples. (At least cleaning and disinfecting products finally came back in stock!)

Amazon prices are rising more slowly than Walmart/Target/Supermarkets, but they are surely rising.

Six moths ago I purchased (7) seven cases of this for $115.00 per case. Today and for the last four months $190.00 per case. Amazon.com: (Pack of 24) Swift Corned Beef Less Sodium, 12oz : Grocery & Gourmet Food

And they now refuse to ship this product to my location. This is getting to be more and more an issue, their refusing to ship heavier packages.

I'm not familiar with that brand, but I found this.
https://www.grocery.com/store/pack-of-24-swift-corned-beef-canned-beef-12oz?language=en&currency=USD
And this brand is cheaper at Walmart:
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Hereford-Low-Sodium-Corned-Beef-12-oz/47375689

I will admit that I am working full time instead of the 2-3 days a week right now. Mainly because I REALLY want to pay off our house notes. I have 1 but hunny has 2 on the additional 9 1/2 acres. His credit was not so great because of an ex. Right now I am just trying to pay notes down with the added income, but don't know how long I can keep it up. I am really expecting a mandatory vaxxine at my company in the future, which I will not take. We will be ok though. I had to give up the majority of what I call preps. . . Hunny is only willing to till the garden right now with his tractor so the weeds dont come up. It is empty right now and I only have a very small "kitchen garden" out back that really isn't producing much because of the heat and humidity we have here.

I've turned everything I can into food stores, I also bought some electrical equipment that I have been planning to get. I may purchase some solar panels or water barrels to complete my long term prep goals.... I keep thinking what comes next? I do not remember a time when I felt so unsettled. I have lost faith in the ability of the government to be able to handle an emergency and I feel like we are about to enter a period of one emergency after another.....

I am down to thinking in small terms:
Food
Water
Power
Security

Yep, right now I can handle 1 word issues, but that's about it.....

I've turned everything I can into food stores, I also bought some electrical equipment that I have been planning to get. I may purchase some solar panels or water barrels to complete my long term prep goals.... I keep thinking what comes next? I do not remember a time when I felt so unsettled. I have lost faith in the ability of the government to be able to handle an emergency and I feel like we are about to enter a period of one emergency after another.....

Food
Water
Power
Security

We are on the "same" road. And I am 100% sure we are on the right road, and going in the correct direction.

Quick observation. walmart brand bowtie pasta now 12oz instead of 16oz. Same price so far but less in the box.
I checked the other types I bought with the bowties and they're all still 16oz

Food
Water
Power
Security

This has been my strategy for the past several years. I cashed out some investments these past few years and converted them into sustainable infrastructure and additional preps. I’ve significantly lowered my cost bases, made life easier to manage as I age, while improving my preps.

Almost every day when I do the grocery deals for my page, I find at least one Walmart price increase.
Here are a couple of them I found today.
DOLE Mixed Tropical Fruit in Light Syrup and Passion Fruit Juice, 15.25 Ounce Can
It had been $1.38 for a long time. When I checked on July 12, it was still that price.
Today it was $1.77.
Annie's Mac and Cheese boxes.
They had been $1 a box for a long time. They were still $1 on May 20.
Today they were $1.18.
18¢ here and 39¢ there really starts adding up.
I'm beginning to believe the predictions that grocery will be 50% higher in the next few months than they were pre- covid.
That's a HUGE overall increase in a period of less than 2 years.

I have developed my supply list for next summer’s major projects. Today I am doing inventory of what I have on hand and will start moving what I have into their winter storage location. Based on my supply list for next year‘s projects and what I have on hand, I have decided to buy now what extra I need for next year. Tuesday morning I am taking my truck and empty trailer into town to Spenards Building Supply and will load up with what I need for next year.

I will need to get everything stashed for the winter over the next two weeks.

While I was getting my supplies at the hardware store, my wife was picking up groceries from the local Three Bears grocery store. First time she has gone grocery shopping in almost 2 months. She was hopping madder than a hornet in an old coke can going on about the prices. It was a long ride back up the trail. I am going to spend the evening sorting out supplies in one of the sheds. The one furthest away. :oops:

The place where we bought our wood pellets has raised the price by $20 a ton now.
Have no idea if they'll raise the price again anytime soon.

You can't make this stuff up. Deece actually said this:

FireShot Capture 212 - Home _ Gab Social - gab.com.pngcatturd.png

Latest posts

Back