What would you do faced with 50% inflation?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Administration is busy cherry picking the "DATA" that they will use to hide the truth from the American People, when the reality becomes too much for the political-NEWS machine to cover people will show up with pitchforks and the Administration will know how Marie Antoinette felt, I can just hear VP Harris saying "let them eat cake"......... Bad Urban....

A hard winter and a few days of darkness would bring all of the Administration's unicorn fantasies into the light of day......

I went shopping last week and here are a few items I noticed went up in price:

Campbells soup sale is typically $1 per can, now is 4 cans for $5....apparently that is supposed to be the new 'deal'.
Bacon at Aldi $3.89 for 1 pound, now $4.09
bagged salad was .99, now $1.10
dish detergent was $3.79, now $4.30
knorr's dry soup mix was .99, now $1.39.....it's been a long time since I bought this so I don't know how recent the hike is
munchos chips was $2, now $2.29

I also noticed some bare shelves. The one store I went to had almost no magazines by the checkouts. I only noticed b/c usually they are everywhere. Why would magazines be in short supply? However, there were plenty of Time magazines (I think it was Time), where Obama was on the cover. It didn't look like there were any takers on that one.🤣 There were noticable gaps in the supplements isle, toy isle, dog and cat food isle, and crafts isle. Again, there were no lids to be found anywhere, but there were jars.

Campbells soup sale is typically $1 per can, now is 4 cans for $5....apparently that is supposed to be the new 'deal'.
Bacon at Aldi $3.89 for 1 pound, now $4.09
bagged salad was .99, now $1.10
dish detergent was $3.79, now $4.30
knorr's dry soup mix was .99, now $1.39.....it's been a long time since I bought this so I don't know how recent the hike is
munchos chips was $2, now $2.29

THIS is why I stock up at Amazon when it hits rock bottom.

I buy the Campbells "cream of" soups for cooking. I've gotten several cases of 12 in several flavors in the last 3 or 4 months for less than $9 a case (under 75¢ a can). I'm finished buying because now I have enough to last at least a couple years.

I don't buy Knorr's dry soup mixes, but some people do, so in the last month I have posted several flavors for 36¢ to 45¢ each (in lots of 12).

I don't know what brand or size of dish detergent you buy, but I watch the Amazon deals and periodically get Gain or Dawn for cheaper than Walmart.

I last bought bacon at Sam's but I don't remember how much it was. I'm sure it's gone up by now.

I do buy bagged salad at Walmart, and yes it went up in price recently.

I buy the Campbells "cream of" soups for cooking. I've gotten several cases of 12 in several flavors in the last 3 or 4 months for less than $9 a case (under 75¢ a can). I'm finished buying because now I have enough to last at least a couple years.

I don't buy Knorr's dry soup mixes, but some people do, so in the last month I have posted several flavors for 36¢ to 45¢ each (in lots of 12).

I don't know what brand or size of dish detergent you buy, but I watch the Amazon deals and periodically get Gain or Dawn for cheaper than Walmart.
I'm good on campbells soup too. I've got several cases of various kinds stocked. I just noticed the price hike.

I usually only use the Knorr's for spinach dip. I've never used it for soup, but that's always an option.

For dish detergent, I meant dish washer soap. I usually buy the off brand powder of whatever is cheapest. I'm not a brand snob with soap. I've got lots and lots of Dawn. I stocked up on that when there was shortages mentioned quite a while ago, even though I don't do dishes by hand very often. Dawn can be used for lots of cleaning chores though.

I've got a bunch of "cream of" base powders stored, so I'm not so much for storing the cream of soups. I like the Knorr's rice sides, so I do have a bunch of those. I used to buy the Campbell's french onion soup for pot roasts, and still have a few cans, but I also found the base to that in powder

An executive of Kroger, one of the largest supermarket chains in the United States, warned grocery prices are about to become even higher this year as inflation sets in.

Inflation is running hotter than previously anticipated, and prices are slated to rise an additional 2 to 3 percent over the second half of 2021, Kroger CFO Gary Millerchip said during a call with reporters.

Kroger will be “passing along higher cost to the customer where it makes sense to do so,” he said on Sept. 10.

Other than Kroger’s warning, food giant Nestle’s Chief Financial Officer, Francois-Xavier Roger, acknowledged a higher input cost inflation in 2022 than this year.

“If we talk of 2022, it is likely that input cost inflation will be higher next year than this year,” Roger said at a Barclays consumer staples conference, reported the Reuters news agency.
“Our strategy is to offset anything we receive through pricing. The idea is to pass it on to the trade and to consumers whenever we receive it,” he said.

Get ready for even higher prices people.
I am seriously thinking of investing in a better grow light and maybe even a grow tower since they take up less space.
I've just been using the bay window and the grow lights attached to the top of it

OUCH I was looking at restocking more cover crop and animal grazing type seeds. 50% hell closer to 100% since I bought last year. Same Daikon radishes went from $14.99 to $24.99. Same sugar beets went from $5.99 to $49.99 . All the stuff I looked at was that way some stuff was about 70% more while others have gone up X10 or more. That's plain crazy!

prices are slated to rise an additional 2 to 3 percent over the second half of 2021, Kroger CFO Gary Millerchip said during a call with reporters.

Get ready for even higher prices people.

2-3%, OK sure. None of the products (except the bacon) mentioned in the earlier thread have gone up so minimally. Typically the manufacturers deal with inflationary issues by decreasing package sizes so regualr Joe public doesn't notice the increase. It's hard to do that with the inflation we are seeing now. Folks who use recipes notice the difference immediately. A 15 oz can of (whatever) reduced to a 12 oz can, makes a huge difference in the recipes. It's a crap show to deal with. :mad: The package manipulation drives me nuts!

I got a notice today that our Dish Network will increase from:

July $66.49/mo. to
Aug $71.49/mo. to
Sept $136.49/mo.

LOL! Oh HELL no! Not gonna happen. We don't watch TV that much anyways, but I told the dope on the phone to reduce to the bare minimum (which is now $74.99 per month) and I will watch what I want to on the DVR and then they can keep their Dish when I cancel. My system is likely so outdated they won't want to send a box to me to ship it back (which happened 2 years ago), but if they do, I don't care.....they can have it! I have another option to see TV shows and movies (which we don't usually watch) FREE. I will also just hook up an antenna to get locals if hubs wants to watch anything live for FREE. We were paying before just for convenience sake. Local news is just as bad as national news anymore, so I just don't care to watch it anyways.

The rep was arguing with me that things have gone up since 2 years ago when I had a 2 year price guarantee. LOL...not almost 100%! I have rabbit ears for the TV and I know how to use them. I'll miss my DVR, but not to the tune of $136 per month! Friggin crooks make me mad!:mad: Still, Hollywood, MSM, etc.......I don't need them, and I'll likely be much happier without them. :) Maybe after I cancel, I'll get more of my books read too.

My DirecTV went up to 147 and change per month, BuhBye! With the exception of a couple channels we don't even miss it.

2-3%, OK sure. None of the products (except the bacon) mentioned in the earlier thread have gone up so minimally. Typically the manufacturers deal with inflationary issues by decreasing package sizes so regualr Joe public doesn't notice the increase. It's hard to do that with the inflation we are seeing now. Folks who use recipes notice the difference immediately. A 15 oz can of (whatever) reduced to a 12 oz can, makes a huge difference in the recipes. It's a crap show to deal with. :mad: The package manipulation drives me nuts!

I got a notice today that our Dish Network will increase from:

July $66.49/mo. to
Aug $71.49/mo. to
Sept $136.49/mo.

LOL! Oh HELL no! Not gonna happen. We don't watch TV that much anyways, but I told the dope on the phone to reduce to the bare minimum (which is now $74.99 per month) and I will watch what I want to on the DVR and then they can keep their Dish when I cancel. My system is likely so outdated they won't want to send a box to me to ship it back (which happened 2 years ago), but if they do, I don't care.....they can have it! I have another option to see TV shows and movies (which we don't usually watch) FREE. I will also just hook up an antenna to get locals if hubs wants to watch anything live for FREE. We were paying before just for convenience sake. Local news is just as bad as national news anymore, so I just don't care to watch it anyways.

The rep was arguing with me that things have gone up since 2 years ago when I had a 2 year price guarantee. LOL...not almost 100%! I have rabbit ears for the TV and I know how to use them. I'll miss my DVR, but not to the tune of $136 per month! Friggin crooks make me mad!:mad: Still, Hollywood, MSM, etc.......I don't need them, and I'll likely be much happier without them. :) Maybe after I cancel, I'll get more of my books read too.
"Shrinkflation"

Same price but less product

Ben

Yep it's just about time for me to pull the bridge between me and town. My neighbor 2 miles up the road is talking about gating and locking our road. I HOPE HE DOES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'd sure hate to trash the bridge seeing as I spent better than a week fixing it in 2018 after all those storms. But I'm about at the end of my rope with the general public....

Yep it's just about time for me to pull the bridge between me and town. My neighbor 2 miles up the road is talking about gating and locking our road. I HOPE HE DOES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'd sure hate to trash the bridge seeing as I spent better than a week fixing it in 2018 after all those storms. But I'm about at the end of my rope with the general public....
Open question...

Gate on

Your side of the bridge
The other side
Or
Both?

I was planning or a steel cable in a k1ll1ng zone.

What think you and why?

Ben

Open question...

Gate on

Your side of the bridge
The other side
Or
Both?

I was planning or a steel cable in a k1ll1ng zone.

What think you and why?

Ben

The neighbor is talking about a gate down his end of the road. He's tired of hunters trashing everything. That's right at 2 miles from me. There are 4 ways in here but only across private property. Only one of which is actually accessible to most pickups or better no car will make it back here. The rest are ATV UTV bike or something like my deuce to get through. They almost qualify as logging roads but they aren't quite that good.

There's no other full time residence within 1.5 miles of us in any direction. So I am not real concerned with your average joe finding us. The hunters who know what I've built back here concern me far more.

I think this was the thread???
I got dishsoap today. I noticed the bottle was smaller. As I was putting it away, I looked at the older bottle. It went from a 25 oz bottle to 19oz! That’s a sizable cut, not just like a 2-3 oz cut. I don’t recall the price last time I bought it, but I have a sneaking suspicion it didn’t go down.

I got dishsoap today. I noticed the bottle was smaller. As I was putting it away, I looked at the older bottle. It went from a 25 oz bottle to 19oz! That’s a sizable cut, not just like a 2-3 oz cut. I don’t recall the price last time I bought it, but I have a sneaking suspicion it didn’t go down.
What brand? If it's one that I post deals for, I'll have a price record.

Seventh Generation non-scented.
Well, darn. Amazon has some GREAT sales on that brand, but I quit posting them a long while back, because nobody buys it. The followers of my deals page don't seem to be very much into natural and organic stuff.
So the only price histories I have is for Gain and Dawn.

Well, darn. Amazon has some GREAT sales on that brand, but I quit posting them a long while back, because nobody buys it. The followers of my deals page don't seem to be very much into natural and organic stuff.
So the only price histories I have is for Gain and Dawn.
Thanks for looking though. I think it's the only "soap" product I still purchase. All the perfumes is everything anymore get to us.

im watching the price of the herbs and supplements rise faster than i can put an order in. some items have doubleed in prive in the lat couple months, some jump a couple dollars. im just trying to get what i can now because i know that verty soon i wqont be able to afford it. SS doesnt stretch all that far. but im very grateful for what i have. i really feel sorry for those still asleep.

HOLY COW prices are up. Same layer feed that was $9.99 for 50lbs. first of the year was $16.99 for 40lbs. OUCH 3/8x8 lag bolts were $1.38 ea for zinc, galvanized were well over $2 ea. I decided zinc was fine for covered cedar post. Cheap-O that I am. lol Pretty sure most of what I buy has crossed over beyond 50% inflation! Last of those lag bolts cost me about $0.40 each granted that was over a year ago.

Back