What would you do in this case?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Swing

Porch Lover
Staff member
Admin
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
I was traveling through Atlanta airport yesterday and went from concourse C to A.
To go from C to A, I had to go down the escalator about 2 stories for the tunnel and plane train from concourse to concourse.

Going down the escalator I first thought what an excellent tornado shelter it would make, then I thought - what if the EMP/CME happened and knocked out all the lights and electricity. What would I do if in one of those tram cars? Or just down there with all the crammed in folks and high tension due to trying to make connections?

Only can have stuff that went through TSA screening okay. What do other people have? Are they stable?

What would you think about doing? I'd first try to find my light as I expect the emergency lighting when out when EMP/CME happened.

In the Atlanta airport with only TSA approved items? Better odds winning a state lottery then making it out of Atlanta alive. IMHO.

1. Go with the flow getting out of the tunnel to an EXIT
2. To the first luggage tram and quickly take the first suitable backpack I see.
3. Walk away from the terminals and towards service buildings.
4. Service buildings. Look for garbage bags, vending food/bottle water, knifes, anything that will help me.
5. During my 900 mile walk home look for abandoned police cars to check their trunks for firearms.

As a rule, I refuse to fly commercial. Private flights are fine. If I cannot travel with those things with me that I deem necessary to have at all times, then I don't travel.

But hypothetically if I found myself in this situation, I'd use my light if necessary and save the phone battery. I would check that my phone was working. I carry a small multitool very similar to this one (but with a couple smaller screwdrivers along with the larger ones) which has bailed me out of countless situations, and a keychain pry bar which I've used to remove hinge pins. Both of these tools could come in handy. It wouldn't surprise me if the TSA refused to allow me to carry the multitool or prybar. I also carry at least a few hundred dollars in cash when traveling.

First course of action would be to work my way BACK where I came from. In the event the power comes back on, I don't want to be in front of an oncoming shuttle.

Assess the situation once I get back to ground level. If the situation is dire and it is certain that power won't be restored anytime soon, I'd acquire as much as I could that's normally in my get-home bag by looking in or around the airport including maps, a compass, water, food, extra/different clothing appropriate to where ever I am, etc.

No power means no operating cash registers but most sales people will accept cash for stuff - particularly if you say "keep the change" and there's a lot of change. Paying $60 for an $18 item isn't fun, but if you need the item, do it. Get what you need quickly because it won't be long before everyone else will be doing the same thing and competition will be fierce.

Another issue is being detained by security/cops/TSA for our "safety". Know the law. If you can't lawfully be detained, ask for the name and badge number of the person refusing to let you leave and politely explain they have no lawful authority to detain anyone and that you're leaving. Lie if you have to - "I have friends who live a half mile from here" might get you out the door. I sure as heck would not want to be penned in with a bunch of panicking people without a clue while the brain donors at the TSA saw to our "safety".

Next, I'd try communications - radio (I usually have at least one ham radio with me when traveling and I always program them for repeaters local to the areas I'll be), phone, TV, whatever - just find out what's happening. If possible, contact home to find out the situation there and to let folks know I'm OK for the moment. If this really is grid-down and all electronics are toast, then see to immediate needs: water, food, shelter (or good clothing), defense, and navigation would be near the top of my list.

What happens next depends on way too many variables to go into here.

Last edited by a moderator:
As a rule, I refuse to fly commercial. Private flights are fine. If I cannot travel with those things with me that I deem necessary to have at all times, then I don't travel.

But hypothetically if I found myself in this situation, I'd use my light if necessary and save the phone battery. I would check that my phone was working. I carry a small multitool very similar to this one (but with a couple smaller screwdrivers along with the larger ones) which has bailed me out of countless situations, and a keychain pry bar which I've used to remove hinge pins. Both of these tools could come in handy. It wouldn't surprise me if the TSA refused to allow me to carry the multitool or prybar. I also carry at least a few hundred dollars in cash when traveling.

First course of action would be to work my way BACK where I came from. In the event the power comes back on, I don't want to be in front of an oncoming shuttle.

Assess the situation once I get back to ground level. If the situation is dire and it is certain that power won't be restored anytime soon, I'd acquire as much as I could that's normally in my get-home bag by looking in or around the airport including maps, a compass, water, food, extra/different clothing appropriate to where ever I am, etc.

No power means no operating cash registers but most sales people will accept cash for stuff - particularly if you say "keep the change" and there's a lot of change. Paying $60 for an $18 item isn't fun, but if you need the item, do it. Get what you need quickly because it won't be long before everyone else will be doing the same thing and competition will be fierce.

Another issue is being detained by security/cops/TSA for our "safety". Know the law. If you can't lawfully be detained, ask for the name and badge number of the person refusing to let you leave and politely explain they have no lawful authority to detain anyone and that you're leaving. Lie if you have to - "I have friends who live a half mile from here" might get you out the door. I sure as heck would not want to be penned in with a bunch of panicking people without a clue while the brain donors at the TSA saw to our "safety".

Next, I'd try communications - radio (I usually have at least one ham radio with me when traveling and I always program them for repeaters local to the areas I'll be), phone, TV, whatever - just find out what's happening. If possible, contact home to find out the situation there and to let folks know I'm OK for the moment. If this really is grid-down and all electronics are toast, then see to immediate needs: water, food, shelter (or good clothing), defense, and navigation would be near the top of my list.

bkt, What kind of Ham radio is small enough to carry?

I have been on the underground train in Seattle airport when it stopped.
Emergency light cam on but nothing else worked,
The doors did not open and there was no way out.
We quickly got a recorded message that it was a temporary inconvenience and we would be moving soon.
After about 5 minutes we started moving and everything was OK.
Lesson learned was we were trapped until someone from the outside let us out.
There are situations where you are at the mercy of others and there isn't a thing you can do about it, other than try to never get in that situation.
Especially after the TSA strips you of anything you might have that would help.
No tools, knives, or multi-tools allowed.
My wife and I are flying to Kauai, Hawaii next month for out anniversary and I am dreading the TSA experience.
Same airport where the guy stole a plane last week.
I worked at the airport and I know what goes on.

bkt's post mention repeaters so he's probably talking 2 meters. Baofeng has affordable, reasonable quality radios.

https://baofengradio.us/

LazyL I didn't know Ham was Walkie Talkie. :Thankyou: If I understood what I saw anyway.
I think I had Ham mixed up with those big radios you have to have a license to operate, can't remember what they are called.

LazyL I didn't know Ham was Walkie Talkie. :Thankyou: If I understood what I saw anyway.
I think I had Ham mixed up with those big radios you have to have a license to operate, can't remember what they are called.
Amateur radio/Ham radio. hand held all the way up to "I need help moving this". Depends on the Band (frequency), power and range.

Amateur radio/Ham radio. hand held all the way up to "I need help moving this". Depends on the Band (frequency), power and range.

Ok then they are smaller now, so it is the same thing then. Thanks again, I'm really behind on technology.

Ham radio covers many different types of radios, some big with big antennas and some small like hand-held ‘walkie-talkies’. They all require a license from the FCC to transmit.

Ham radio covers many different types of radios, some big with big antennas and some small like hand-held ‘walkie-talkies’. They all require a license from the FCC to transmit.

Walkie Talkies too? Are they like CB radios or the one we had on the boat 30 years ago, I think it was a VHF radio on the boat.?

Walkie Talkies too? Are they like CB radios or the one we had on the boat 30 years ago, I think it was a VHF radio on the boat.?

Just like the one you had in your boat, handhelds are usually VHF or UHF or combination of both in the same radio. You can get mobile radios with a higher wattage that can be installed in your car or at home with a 12 volt power supply.

Atlanta Airport. Been there done that one. Downstairs to trains that go nowhere. You can disappear in the smoking rooms at that airport...never to be seen again.

Just like the one you had in your boat, handhelds are usually VHF or UHF or combination of both in the same radio. You can get mobile radios with a higher wattage that can be installed in your car or at home with a 12 volt power supply.

Ok thanks again. I will finally leave yall alone with these dumb questions.

Atlanta Airport. Been there done that one. Downstairs to trains that go nowhere. You can disappear in the smoking rooms at that airport...never to be seen again.

LOL.

Reactions: JAC
Just reading this post makes me glad I have made the decision not to travel anywhere out of my area. I traveled a lot in the past, but not in the last 20 years. I used to carry a small flashlight, matches and a knife I made out of the bones of a deer. It had no metal on it and was sharp as could be and made it through the metal detectors at my local Social Security office. I can't remember what else I had but it was all in my purse.

I drive so hopefully I'd avoid this. If atl airport I'd just walk home as I live north of there and know the area. Stuck downtown in an unfamiliar large city with only tsa approved items and an emp hits? Worst case scenario. Get out of airport, hit car rental place for a map if I dont have one (I would). Take the fastest route out of the population center hoping to make it before panic hits then resupply. Resupply en route only as opportunity presents until out of population center situation dependent. Make a makeshift weapon asap. Large rock in a spare sock, stabbing utensil, etc. I'd have more useful stuff with me than the average Joe but still a **** sandwich of a situation. I'd at least have my water filter, a camel pack bag in my travel ruck, a way to start fire, a tarp, light, appropriate clothing and shoes, some chow and all the stuff in my head.

I've had times I needed a charge while traveling and wasn't able so that's when I started carrying two cell phones. One always on my person and one in my carry-on bag. I would leave home with both fully charged and both cell phones came with a flashlight app.

I believe you can keep a phone charged and use it as an inactivated phone to call 911 as long as there's still a signal in the area.

In certain circumstances even the handle on your suitcase could be used as a weapon and the luggage strap should have some purpose during a crisis.

bkt, What kind of Ham radio is small enough to carry?
There are dozens of handheld ham radios. The Kenwood TH-F6A and TH-D74A, Yaesu VX-6R, FT-60R and FT-70DR, and inexpensive Baofeng UV-5R line. These operate on 2m and 70CM and some also do 1.25m. These put out 5-8 watts which is plenty to hit local repeaters. The Baofeng radios are so inexpensive ($25 on Amazon) that I have them scattered all over the place - in my home, car, at work, in my bags, etc. I just need to be diligent about ensuring the batteries are charged. :)

In a grid-down situation, ham radio might be a great option because many repeater operators can power their gear independently of the electric company. They will be running where cell towers for phones may be offline. Obviously, in an EMP scenario where electronics are fried entirely, no electronic communication is going to work.

Walkie talkies and CB are similar to handheld ham radios but they operate on different frequencies. I tried a LOT of radios before buckling down to get my amateur radio license. Ham radio really does present the best option for emergency communications. You don't need a license to buy a ham radio or to listen on one. Legally, you need a license to transmit. In a real emergency situation, anyone can transmit. But learning what you need to get an amateur radio license will teach you more than enough about operating radios. It isn't just "push a button and talk and you'll magically reach the person you want to talk to". But it's not black magic, either - anyone can learn this stuff.

That's not a dumb question. You can buy cheap walkie talkie all over. Everyone around here has them and I doubt many have a license for them.
FRS, GMRS and MURS handheld radios are popular, but usually they put out far less power than ham radio handhelds which makes their coverage area far smaller. Just something to consider. :)

There are dozens of handheld ham radios. The Kenwood TH-F6A and TH-D74A, Yaesu VX-6R, FT-60R and FT-70DR, and inexpensive Baofeng UV-5R line. These operate on 2m and 70CM and some also do 1.25m. These put out 5-8 watts which is plenty to hit local repeaters. The Baofeng radios are so inexpensive ($25 on Amazon) that I have them scattered all over the place - in my home, car, at work, in my bags, etc. I just need to be diligent about ensuring the batteries are charged. :)

In a grid-down situation, ham radio might be a great option because many repeater operators can power their gear independently of the electric company. They will be running where cell towers for phones may be offline. Obviously, in an EMP scenario where electronics are fried entirely, no electronic communication is going to work.

Walkie talkies and CB are similar to handheld ham radios but they operate on different frequencies. I tried a LOT of radios before buckling down to get my amateur radio license. Ham radio really does present the best option for emergency communications. You don't need a license to buy a ham radio or to listen on one. Legally, you need a license to transmit. In a real emergency situation, anyone can transmit. But learning what you need to get an amateur radio license will teach you more than enough about operating radios. It isn't just "push a button and talk and you'll magically reach the person you want to talk to". But it's not black magic, either - anyone can learn this stuff.

BKT thanks for all this information. And explaining it so well. :great::Thankyou:

Reactions: bkt

Can I miniaturize you, and carry you in my pocket? You are very knowledgeable!

Latest posts

Back