What would you do? Pile of cash edition.

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sentry18

Thrivalist
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
You inherit an unoccupied office building and everything inside. When it's all said and done, the papers are signed, and the keys are yours; you go to check the place out. You walk into one of the back room and find this. What would you do?

This is not an exercise in inheritance laws, criminal law, taxation, or property ownership. It's about a big pile of cash!

MoneyPile.jpg

To answer your question, I would take one packet of the money with me, leave the room and lock the door. Then go somewhere and think about it for awhile. Take a couple of the bills to my bank, and ask them to determine if the bills are good - or counterfeit. From there,the possible paths diverge.

Many would be surprised after they thought about it.
Yesterday I picked up at Academy a pair of New Balance shoes ($49) for me and 2 boxes of .40 S&W ammo for the Edward Jones guy I have been leaching free advice off of. (I'm not a 'customer').
He's distraught with me. I explained that I am through working, starting a business would just mean going back to work:(, and if I bought anything expensive, I wouldn't have any place to put it:rolleyes:.
Getting a bigger place would only mean a bigger headache keeping it up.
And I've had enough fast cars to see death 1/4th of a second away:eek:.

New Balance model 623, size 9 , 4E width:lil guy:.
AWESOME!

*disclaimer: we will probably go on at least 3 cruises this year.

Last edited:
Many would be surprised after they thought about it.
Yesterday I picked up at Academy a pair of New Balance shoes ($49) for me and 2 boxes of .40 S&W ammo for the Edward Jones guy I have been leaching free advice off of. (I'm not a 'customer').
He's distraught with me. I explained that I am through working, starting a business would just mean going back to work:(, and if I bought anything expensive, I wouldn't have any place to put it:rolleyes:.
Getting a bigger place would only mean a bigger headache keeping it up.
And I've had enough fast cars to see death 1/4th of a second away:eek:.

New Balance model 623, size 9 , 4E width:lil guy:.
AWESOME!

*disclaimer: we will probably go on at least 3 cruises this year.
$40 on Amazon, where is it made.

A 2 story shop with a basement and a car lift.

$40 on Amazon, where is it made.

A 2 story shop with a basement and a car lift.
They are made in Mexico but I will get 2-years+ out of them.
And I was able to get free 'same-day shipping' because I picked the box up off the shelf; don't forget I also got free shipping with no haz-mat fee on the 2 boxes of ammo because I carried the boxes to the register.
People forget we can still do this. Everything does not have to come from a smartphone:rolleyes:.
The 2-story shop idea is fantastic but it sounds like "work" for somebody. I'd have to pass:D.

*you can call me 'worked out' or lazy, either one works fits.

Do you have feet or hooves!? Size 9 Extra Extra Wide sounds almost like a cube. :D
Duck feet.
Very hard to find shoes that fit this old mule. Buying them is 'no small feat':LOL:
If we put on a larger size in regular width, we just blow the sidewalls out:eek:.
For years wider widths were only sold by Hitchcock Shoes at scalper prices.
The same ones years ago were $130 a pair from there.
We had no other choice.
The smart people at Academy saw this and lightbulb
Duck-people need shoes too!:)

Last edited:
a big pile of money like that.would do wonder's with my warped sense of humor.but that'd be after it woke up after fainting.

id make sure all debts are paid.buy some land in the country.get a pick up with a 5th wheel hitch and a 5th wheel camper.then move to my new property.sit down in my new home and figure out what i will do with the rest.

After I found out if it was stolen,counterfeit free.
Would set up college funds for my grandchildren.
Completely pay of school loans, mine and sons.
Completely pay off my car(that's the only debt I have besides small school loan).
Buy gold coinage,silver coinage,gold and silver bars.
I would by land to put a barn on it to live in.
Enough land I can be relatively neighbor free, but close enough to town if I needed emergency care 911 could find me.
Enough land Strawberry could run and bark her heart content.
Pay for my funeral in advance so my sons wouldn't have to worry about it.
Enough land that I could run a few cattle to keep the freezer full of beef.
Enough land I could have garden, orchard on it.
My splurge items would be new washer,dryer,Jeep Compass, or small pickup.
Then I would have to think on the rest.

I've known a few people who inherited a good sum of money and about 10-15 years later are broke. I asked why not get a financial adviser? Because they didn't want anyone to tell them what to do with their money. Now what?

I would find out the total amount of money. I would tithe 10%. I would also get a financial adviser and get suggestions and advice about what to do with the money. I would keep my mouth shut to everyone else.

I would search for land that would be able to be farmed and developed. Then, map out a plan to develop a property that would be self sustaining and defensible, as much as possible.

I think it somewhat depends on the circumstances of buying the property- if it was a foreclosure, I would try to find out who previously lived there so they could get their $ (although it would be odd for them to go in to foreclosure if they had that much $). If it was a business or regular person who sold it, I'd call them to come get it. I wouldn't feel right to keep it and spend it unless they declined to come retrieve it. I'd give them written notice to come get it within a certain timespan (something reasonable) & if they didn't come retrieve it by the date, I'd put it in the bank. When I was younger I probably would have notified the police as I would have viewed it as suspicious, but the cops I know around here are corrupt as hell & would just pocket the $ themselves so I probably wouldn't call them. I'd also check to see if there were any reports of large sums of cash being stolen before putting it in the bank. I wouldn't put it all in at once though. I'd do it over time. If I had a large enough safety deposit box, I'd put it inside something so it wasn't evident that it was cash & I'd put it in the box for safekeeping. I'd store the rest somewhere safe in my house so I could slowly put some in to the bank over time & I'd purchase gift cards for myself and friends. I'd put most of it in savings and a small amount in checking. I'd then try to figure out how to write it up for tax forms so taxes would be paid on it so there wouldn't be any issues from the IRS. I'd most likely use some of it to buy my best friend a decent vehicle & help him finish fixing up his house, I'd get my own house fixed up too. Depending on how much was in the pile, I would probably be able to hire someone to do some work instead of DIYing things. I'd replace all of the windows with energy efficient ones, fix the roof, renovate all of the bathrooms, replace the flooring & fix up the kitchen, update HVAC system, re-do electrical & plumbing, add a graywater well for the washing machine, possibly add another room to the house (It's almost an L shape so I'd fill in the gap), get my barn replaced/fixed up, and fix up the workshop.
I would not tell anyone aside from the people who I initially contacted about finding it because people around here are mooches, scammers, & thieves. I wouldn't want my neighbors to ever find out-- although, another thing I'd get is a better security system and fencing around my yard.

First off make sure it's not counterfit. Put enough in the bank to pay off all my bills. Remodel the house, then start looking for a nice plot of land in the mountains as far away from crowds as possible. For the time being purchase several Gun safes and stash the funds in them. Some would get invested in precious metals including brass and copper, some in various lands. Depends on how much that pile of cash is after that.

Recently my banker suggested spreading my banking around to other banks. I found that odd.
Some certificates of deposit, money in safety deposit boxes, accounts. Metals in coin and bar, as mentioned. I'm going to assume I already know or have determined it is free, clear, and real cash.
I'd help my extended family members to some degree; get an advisor or accountant for consultation; tithe; have trust funds set up for my children and their families. Have at least 2 residences. Get the office building I inherited fixed up if needed and rent or lease some of it, and get my own business started in it.
I'd make sure I've got a BOL.

Gravity is very compelling as you get older, I just ordered New Balance Men's 481V3 Cushioning Trail Running Shoe, Grey, 8.5 4E US. Yep, pretty Cubical :D BTW, don't be fooled by the Trail Running part, it's more sidewalk waddling shoes .
Those look very breezy.
Some guys have their feet sweat so much they dump out a puddle when they take them off. Fabrics are essential for them.
For me, leather on the uppers is crucial. Constantly scraping them on everything made of concrete will take a toll on the fabric ones.
And then you come across the 'Holy Grail' 4E! In your style, color and in your size!!
bow.gif

I would not take pictures of the big pile of cash.
I would not inform the police about the big pile of cash.
I would not tell anyone about the big pile of cash.
I would just count the big pile of cash and smile, a lot.
It might be a good idea to fake a break-in and report nothing was missing as far as I knew, just in case someone came back looking for their big pile of cash
OK sentry what's the story of the big pile of cash?

Latest posts

Back