Whatcha eating on Thanksgiving

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phideaux

Old fashioned
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
We got our part of Thanksgiving dinner done for tomorrow at my Daughter's.
We baked Yams ,with brown sugar and butter and will brown marshmallows on top tomorrow. Cranberry dish.
A quart of home grown green beans and quart of peas, a phone of cornbread and of course this big 25 lb, barbequed , bone in ham.
1606345626279.jpg

And others will have dressing, turkey , hash brown casserole, pies , cakes, and more.

I'll gain a lb or two I'm sure.

Jim

We baked Yams ,with brown sugar and butter and will brown marshmallows on top tomorrow. Cranberry dish.
A quart of home grown green beans and quart of peas, a phone of cornbread and of course this big 25 lb, barbequed , bone in ham.
View attachment 54004

And others will have dressing, turkey , hash brown casserole, pies , cakes, and more.

Jim
When y'all get it all spread out tomorrow, be sure and get a good picture of it.
Shirley you are having more than 9 guests, right? 😉
Wouldn't want ya' to get in no trouble
lol.gif

Last edited:
View attachment 54004

Jim
How many people will there be? That is a lot of food!

We are having our usual Thanksgiving dinner.
24-pound turkey is in the brine, cornbread dressing, light bread biscuits, yams, mashed potatoes with turkey gravy and some side dishes and naturally pecan pie, chocolate pie, and pumpkin pie.
I gained 3 pounds just writing this.
Don't tell the idiot that lives in Olympia.

Senator Russel sweet potatoes
Turkey
Stuffing
Artichokes
Carrot casserole
Corn
Mashed potatoes
Gravy, of course
Pecan, pumpkin and apple pies
Coffee, good beer, good wine, maybe some scotch...who knows

This might not be entirely keto. And I don't entirely care.

Oven roasted turkey( couldn't fit grill/smoker in Fiat).
Mashed potatoes(lumps and all)
Corn bread stuffing
Homemade noodles
Turkey giblet gravy
Home made hot rolls
Watergate salad
Ice tea,Pepsi,Dr.Pepper or Diet Coke
Of course coffee
That;s what I'm fixing..
Oldest Son is fixing :
Deviled eggs
Sweet potato casserole
Mac and Cheese
Green beans
Have no clue what youngest son is bringing.

butternut squash

I love butternut squash, I bought the biggest one I could find, lol. Turkey, rolls, mashed taters, squash in our future followed by a chocolate silk pie.

@Amish Heart sister, pickles and olives ALWAYS for Thanksgiving dinner.
Turkey, gravy, mashed potatoes, dressing balls, cranberry relish. Others are bringing sweet potato something and green beans. Others should have volunteered to bring something but since they didn't and they love pumpkin pie so much, I decided they can make those today. We are tired.

Less than 8 by law but possibly 12-14 😊

Jim

Did you make up with oldest daughter, mine is still a 52 yr old brat but will aanswer the phone now,so guess thats improvement.

Turkey,Conbread dressing, Potato salad, deviled eggs, baked turkey, small baked hen I I've always baked one for dressing broth], candied yams, canned biscuit.Sprite.

@Meerkat ,
No, she still ain't speaking to us.

One day she'll regret it.

Jim

I agree sometimes I worry about her regreting is badly one day.
Funny one her favorite movies is ' Imitation Of Life' where the girl chases the hurst down the road screaming for her mama. An of course me and words just sarcastically said " why so you can put on the big drama act for atttention at my funeral':oops:, wrong answer:) .
Anyway time will tell if she grows up or not.

The pseudo-DIL is working long shifts at the hospital to take advantage of holiday pay plus overtime so we are delaying the turkey until she can indulge with us.

But The Princess and I have much to be thankful for and will not let day pass without counting our blessings that includes;

2 wonderful g-daughters
First year of retirement
Debt free!
Good progress on LLC #1
LLC #2 renewed lease
Good health and many more.

So she "went into her storehouse" and brought out some prime rib. She also makes an onion casserole that is almost candy. Sides of mushrooms and corn.

God has smiled on us and I pray that he also smile on you and yors!

Ben

The pseudo-DIL is working long shifts at the hospital to take advantage of holiday pay plus overtime so we are delaying the turkey until she can indulge with us.

But The Princess and I have much to be thankful for and will not let day pass without counting our blessings that includes;

2 wonderful g-daughters
First year of retirement
Debt free!
Good progress on LLC #1
LLC #2 renewed lease
Good health and many more.

So she "went into her storehouse" and brought out some prime rib. She also makes an onion casserole that is almost candy. Sides of mushrooms and corn.

God has smiled on us and I pray that he also smile on you and yors!

Ben

Sounds like your having a good Thanksgiving Ben. And acinuating the positive too:thumbs:.We should all do that more often.

My mom , God rest her soul, always made a sweet potato casserole that was creamy, almost like pecan pie, and she always topped it with pecans.

I sure miss that.
But , we have sweet potato with marshmallow and pecan pie, lemon icebox pie, others also.

Jim
This is the recipe my daughter uses.

Sweet Potato Souffle

3 large sweet potatoes cooked and whipped
1 cup sugar
2 eggs beaten
1/2 tsp salt
1 stick butter
1/2 cup evaporated milk
2 tsp vanilla
1 bag marshmallows
1/2 cup chopped pecans

Peel and cook potatoes until tender.
Drain and whip potatoes, add sugar, eggs, salt, butter and vanilla.
Mix well and put in greased casserole dish.
Bake in preheated oven at 325 degrees for 25 minutes (or maybe longer if there are other dishes).
Place marshmallows and pecans on top. Return to oven for 5 minutes or until golden brown.

My vegan daughter is coming over for Thanksgiving. Since she is a vegan, she has to carefully pick and choose.
This year, I got a small pumpkin. I will chop the top, scrape out the seeds and pulp, then bake with a bit of olive oil inside and out. After 1 hour, ill pack the bottom with a wild rice, them on top of that, I'll place cooked diced Brussel sprouts, with some roasted sunflower seeds and pumpkin seeds, lightly roasted. I'll top with pomegranate seeds and baby roasted carrots. I'll put the top back on, and serve it. I am just thinking this out, so vegans, tell me what you think?

My vegan daughter is coming over for Thanksgiving. Since she is a vegan, she has to carefully pick and choose.
This year, I got a small pumpkin. I will chop the top, scrape out the seeds and pulp, then bake with a bit of olive oil inside and out. After 1 hour, ill pack the bottom with a wild rice, them on top of that, I'll place cooked diced Brussel sprouts, with some roasted sunflower seeds and pumpkin seeds, lightly roasted. I'll top with pomegranate seeds and baby roasted carrots. I'll put the top back on, and serve it. I am just thinking this out, so vegans, tell me what you think?
Not a vegan, but good for you! My daughter tried to be a vegan for a while, and with her celiac and blood type, she knew she couldn't do it. It takes lots of strength and commitment to live that lifestyle.

Latest posts

Back